Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedback v0.78+

New patch is now available!

Read about it HERE!

4/4/2017
Hotfix 0.79 rev19050 Uploaded
- Fixed issues in Battle of Cold Harbor for North that could make battle rather easy for player in the first two stages.
- Fixed an issue with delayed timer in Cold Harbor 1st day CSA side.
- Fixed some reported text errors.
- AI improved further, enhancing its territorial awareness and improving charge decisions, flanks protection.

• Like 2

Fantastic patch Guys and most appreciated. Sounds like you really considered feedback in making this patch! Great job, keep up the good work, and can't wait for the final version to come out.

Also appreciate the hard work of the folks that do the beta testing before the patch is released. Given the quality and helpfulness of their posts here on the forums show they all have the "right stuff" to play test the patches. Good work guys and look forward to reading your comments on your impressions of this new patch!!!!

• Like 3

Just now, sonnypemberton said:

not sure if it is intended, but there are no weapons or generals to be bought with reputation after Chickamauga?

Unfortunately this a bug that was fixed but does not affect old saves. So only new campaigns will show the reputation shop properly.

Just now, sonnypemberton said:

so would loading a save from prior to the last battle auto save and finishing it allow this to work properly?

Not sure how extensive the bug is, if it only affects the auto last save or the campaign has to be restarted completely.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sonnypemberton said:

not sure if it is intended, but there are no weapons or generals to be bought with reputation after Chickamauga?

I'm having the same issue -- I guess the only fix is to completely re-start the game/campaign?

Based on limited experience with one unit in one battle, the 20pd Parrots are still underperforming for their stats. My unit was moving in company with two 24pd Howitzer batteries, both of which out-damaged the 20pd Parrots by more than 2 to 1 - and one of the 24pd Howitzer batteries was completely green, with only the base stats.

Edited by Aetius

22 minutes ago, Aetius said:

I'm ... I'm not sure what to say. The enemy armies in Legendary were too small?

Let's just say there were ways of making the minor battle enemy armies small. It involves a lot of shifting of small units into the 1st Corps.

Whether that's been fixed though, is a different question. Playing through the minor battles on my Union Max Size army at the moment.

14 minutes ago, Aetius said:

Based on limited experience with one unit in one battle, the 20pd Parrots are still underperforming for their stats. My unit was moving in company with two 24pd Howitzer batteries, both of which out-damaged the 20pd Parrots by more than 2 to 1 - and one of the 24pd Howitzer batteries was completely green, with only the base stats.

When I re-start my campaign I think I'm only going with 24pdr Howitzers and Ordnance... They seem to be the only two reliable cannons that offer the best dividends.

Edited by Sykes

38 minutes ago, Sykes said:

When I re-start my campaign I think I'm only going with 24pdr Howitzers and Ordnance... They seem to be the only two reliable cannons that offer the best dividends.

10pdr Parrotts aren't too bad either, and even though they perform slightly worse than 3-Inch Ordnance Rifles, you don't have much of a choice when you've got 51 of the things in your Armory after Antietam. :) Tredgars also seems good, but are much rarer.

13 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

10pdr Parrotts aren't too bad either, and even though they perform slightly worse than 3-Inch Ordnance Rifles, you don't have much of a choice when you've got 51 of the things in your Armory after Antietam. :) Tredgars also seems good, but are much rarer.

The Tredgar's are confederate guns?  I cant seem to get them off the battlefield or in the armory? I'm currently doing the Union Campaign...

Edited by Sykes

Yeah, so Legendary is now beyond absurd - there's no scaling, everything is just cranked up to the maximum possible. Confederate Newport News is unwinnable, your green troops simply can't shoot fast enough to put a dent in the Union forces. They have two 576-man skirmishers, a 1050-man LeMat melee cavalry unit, and seven two-star 2700-man infantry brigades armed with Springfield 1855s. Enemy units that are routed don't flee, but remain in place and fight in melee. The cavalry unit can simply ride over my units without stopping to engage in melee.

Edited by Aetius

Results of the Artillery Size and 20pdr Parrott Gun Test: Same exact result as previous test.  12-gun batteries are still the optimal size and 20pdr Parrotts are still terrible.

B8D013FB4BF95B1230040849AD378F2D8B655DD8

Disclaimer: tested with Cheat Engine on to help bypass the unnessesary bits of the test (Prospect Hill areas), so if you see anything unusual, that's why.

Tested on Marye's Heights.  Guns were on the front line the entire time and due to Cheat Engine, did not lose any men or guns throughout the battle.  Engagement distances varied from close, medium to long range.  Guns did not have to turn very often, as targets were plentiful within the arc.  Did various tests between single volley to extended engagement.  Compared the effectiveness of long-range fire in particular versus other cannons, such as the 24pdr Howitzer (Pugh's Artillery armed with such) and 3-Inch Ordnance Rifles (most of the rest of the artillery).  All other cannon outmatched the 20pdr Parrott in every aspect.

Conclusion: How are 20pdr Parrotts even being buffed?  Might be nice to know how.  They've been buffed three separate times and they're still pretty terrible.  Honestly, as a developer, if something it's working, I delete the infringing file, copy something that is working, and modify it to the stats of the thing I just deleted.

Edited by The Soldier
  • Like 3

Well. Just finished Cold Harbor on Union. Turns out to be incredibly easy to do a Day 1 victory on Brigadier General.

If I was very aggressive in the first phase on Day 1, I could have finished the battle with fewer casualties; there were a lot of half-strength squads guarding the Central Breastworks at the start of the third phase. Which made it incredibly simple to just throw a 20000 man size blob into the southern most fortifications to force my way through them. There was only a single 1000 man squad guarding the southern-most fortifications, and after that it was getting flanking shots on the rest of the squads that never left their fortifications to help the flank.

Tend to think there needs to be more AI brigades available to CSA on the First Day on the Left Flank; as mentioned in another thread, it's covering way too much ground for one Corps. If you get any full squad wipes on phase 1, it makes punching the line a lot easier.

On BG, I actually beat it as the Confederates in the very first phase.  The Union Skirmishers were a pushover (despite being 900-strong), didn't do much damage and I just kept them at range and blew them to bits.  Pushed in, took the point with an hour and a half left on the clock, and beat off the Union infantry reinforcements (1:27 on the Secure and 1:30 left on the clock).

As the Union, I wasn't able to push in fast enough to take it in the first phase, but the second phase introduced a much easier solution.  I took the brigades defending the north point, went to flank the fortification in the center, ran into a whole bunch of smaller confederate brigades, and proceeded to shoot them to bits.  Apparently that attracted the attention of the entire Confederate force except 2 infantry and 1 artillery brigade defending the point, which I rolled over rather easily with the 2 large infantry brigades I had down south.  Practically waltz into the point, captured it, and held it for the final couple of minutes and won. 2k casualties for 10k Confederates.

@Sykes

Pretty sure it's not intentional, the devs seem pretty intent on making it better or fixing it, heh.

Edited by The Soldier