Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedback v0.78+

25 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

Yea, that's been an issue for a while.  However, it's an exceptionally rare thing, I've only seen it a handful of times.  I only saw it happen once on my road to Fredricksburg last patch.  Reloading the game fixes it, by the way.

I do have a feeling I know why the bug is happening, but regardless, it seems quite annoying to have to deal with cavalry that can magically be in your backlines when you're outnumbered.

On 4/3/2017 at 7:39 PM, Aetius said:

Yeah, so Legendary is now beyond absurd - there's no scaling, everything is just cranked up to the maximum possible. Confederate Newport News is unwinnable, your green troops simply can't shoot fast enough to put a dent in the Union forces. They have two 576-man skirmishers, a 1050-man LeMat melee cavalry unit, and seven two-star 2700-man infantry brigades armed with Springfield 1855s. Enemy units that are routed don't flee, but remain in place and fight in melee. The cavalry unit can simply ride over my units without stopping to engage in melee.

Watching this vid made me a new subscriber. Yeah, Legendary is way unbalanced.

On 4/4/2017 at 7:39 AM, Aetius said:

Yeah, so Legendary is now beyond absurd - there's no scaling, everything is just cranked up to the maximum possible. Confederate Newport News is unwinnable, your green troops simply can't shoot fast enough to put a dent in the Union forces. They have two 576-man skirmishers, a 1050-man LeMat melee cavalry unit, and seven two-star 2700-man infantry brigades armed with Springfield 1855s. Enemy units that are routed don't flee, but remain in place and fight in melee. The cavalry unit can simply ride over my units without stopping to engage in melee.

I think you got hit by the "random super AI" dice roll. Last patch I got hit by one at Shiloh, with my 24k facing their 50k. I still crushed it, but Shiloh obviously is a particular case where I think even if AI got 75k I would still able to crawl to victory.

Also the number report seems suspicious. It counts only 212 Confederate cavalry, while Stuart alone commands 245 at the start of the battle.

Edited by Jamesk2

On 4/3/2017 at 5:43 PM, Aetius said:

Based on limited experience with one unit in one battle, the 20pd Parrots are still underperforming for their stats. My unit was moving in company with two 24pd Howitzer batteries, both of which out-damaged the 20pd Parrots by more than 2 to 1 - and one of the 24pd Howitzer batteries was completely green, with only the base stats.

Hey Aetius just curious....how many guns did you have in each battery?

On 4/3/2017 at 6:01 PM, Sykes said:

When I re-start my campaign I think I'm only going with 24pdr Howitzers and Ordnance... They seem to be the only two reliable cannons that offer the best dividends.

So where does this leave the Napoleon in this discussion? 

And  concerning the Ordnance, according to Tokiedian's Weapons Guide, (IF I read it right) that the Ordnance is one of the lowest ones in causing damage. But very strong in accuracy and fire rate. It seems we have a cannon (Ordnance) that has volume and accuracy but doesn't do comparable damage??? So my question to you Sykes is, "Why the Ordnance over the Napoleon?"  I haven't had much experience with the Ordnance.  Maybe I should be??

47 minutes ago, civsully1 said:

And  concerning the Ordnance, according to Tokiedian's Weapons Guide, (IF I read it right) that the Ordnance is one of the lowest ones in causing damage. But very strong in accuracy and fire rate. It seems we have a cannon (Ordnance) that has volume and accuracy but doesn't do comparable damage??? So my question to you Sykes is, "Why the Ordnance over the Napoleon?"  I haven't had much experience with the Ordnance.  Maybe I should be??

Well.... I used to prefer the Napoleons but of late they haven't been doing that much damage.

It was then I realized this...

The Napoleons I equipped with Union and Confederacy, well there were a lot of defensive battles for both in the earlier parts of the campaign, where they often got a lot of kills. This is why it seemed to me the Napoleon looked superior. 

That changed after I fought Union at Fredericksburg, and I realized... that well in a short ranged context, the Ordinance's cannister shot is going to do the trick at close range (giving charging enemies massive morale penalties) and it has the added benefit of being able to shoot at range. 

Furthermore, Stones River and Chancelloresville, required a lot of movement for Union and Confederates. Chancelloresville and Chickamauga required quite a bit of maneuver as well. Overland campaign is the same (well for Union)

The result is that my napoleons don't seem to be doing as well as my ordinance's... but then again at that point I phased a lot of them out... Because the thing is, the Napoleon is great for defensive warfare where it can just sit there and pound shots and cannister into charging AI armies (Malvern hill, Gaines Mill, 2nd Bull Run, Shiloh, Antietam)... but when you need to go on the offensive, and your lines keep advancing, it's less reliable. This is why you should probably use the Ordinance, it's more flexible. 

• Like 1

What I want to do is have Napoleons be the organic component for each infantry division and then have my last corps division have two units of 24 pound howitzers and two of ordinance rifles.  But the way troops enter the maps doesn't let that work very well.

• Like 1

@civsully1

Results are here:

Batteries larger than 12 guns are still terrible.  And 20pdr Parrotts are still terrible.  As you can see from that, a 12-gun battery of actually much less experienced men wielding 24pdr Howitzers (Pugh's Artillery) and a Captain leading them was at the very, very top of my list.  The 20pdr Parrott crews were all Vet 3 with the Logistics, Accuracy, and Long-Range Fire perks.

• Like 1

I found Saunder's fields a bit annoying because it required me to basically to have failed winning to win it. They should have given us the TWO points we needed to take immediatley because the only way I can find to win it on Colonel, is to be uber aggressive and ensure that you have a foothold in the forest from the start. If you don't, the fortifications the union take are so heavy that there is no way to break through or even flank them. I

50 minutes ago, vren55 said:

I found Saunder's fields a bit annoying because it required me to basically to have failed winning to win it. They should have given us the TWO points we needed to take immediatley because the only way I can find to win it on Colonel, is to be uber aggressive and ensure that you have a foothold in the forest from the start. If you don't, the fortifications the union take are so heavy that there is no way to break through or even flank them. I

Not all engagements are meant to be won. Thought it would be grand if we could win them all.

In some situations I'd rather settle for a draw, rather than sacrifice my men to a massacre.  

I suppose it's all up to your playing style and game-level that your playing on. 

Each Ultimate General is different :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Soldier said:

@civsully1

Results are here:

Batteries larger than 12 guns are still terrible.  And 20pdr Parrotts are still terrible.  As you can see from that, a 12-gun battery of actually much less experienced men wielding 24pdr Howitzers (Pugh's Artillery) and a Captain leading them was at the very, very top of my list.  The 20pdr Parrott crews were all Vet 3 with the Logistics, Accuracy, and Long-Range Fire perks.

Thanks Soldier for the redirect to the link!

1 minute ago, The Soldier said:

I feel like A.P. Hill and a couple of the other guys part of the board game discussion are some old-timers.  Board games! :)

I was going to say... it seems like certain profs around here are not considered old anymore. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Soldier said:

I feel like A.P. Hill and a couple of the other guys part of the board game discussion are some old-timers.  Board games! :)

Hell I remember playing board games without the boards, we used 1/4 graph paper pencils and figurines .... :)   It's called Dungeons and Dragons Table Top Games!!!!