Game-Labs Forum

Post Wipe : Resource Rethink

1 minute ago, Hethwill said:

What motivates a small nation to go to RVR war then ?

Apart from combat, which can perfect be done without even resorting to RVR because.... we already have all the resources, we don't need to conquer anything...

Jeheil mentioned the point would be to prevent our enemy from having such resources

2 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Apart from combat, which can perfect be done without even resorting to RVR because.... we already have all the resources, we don't need to conquer anything...

If a small nation does not have live oak ships they have almost no chance of taking a live oak port

• Like 1

So firstly small nations, in the short term are in trouble, no alliances for a while and with the server 'new' split, small nations will be ULTRA small.

I am only suggesting 6-8 ports that make each of the 'rare' resources as opposed to two.

If you are a small nation NOW, you have NO chance of grabbing up one of the TWO ports. As the nations with 200-400 players will SMASH you.

I REALLY REALLY LIKE rare, strategic, worth fighting over ports. But TWO (next door to each other) is perhaps too tight and while in Alpha, with piddling numbers, its terribad.

• Like 9

It doesn't have to be in every port, but live oak being in 2 US ports imbalances all the the other nations. Considering there are 8 nations. With alliances going away nations that can't build live oak ships will be at a huge disadvantage. Half the ports that are taken in RvR aren't based on resources, but regional bonuses instead.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Really wish so many people did not think RvR was the end all.  "Nothing more to do." Find a battle on the open world! :)

You pirates...being all...I dunno...piratey !! 

• Like 1

Guest sruPL
3 minutes ago, Anne Wildcat said:

Really wish so many people did not think RvR was the end all.  "Nothing more to do." Find a battle on the open world! :)

Good luck with that when you just have Capital and nothing more :) No silver, no copper, no gold, no live oak, no mahogany, no bermuda cedar and so on.......

Edited by sruPL

Just now, Duncan McFail said:

Half the ports that are taken in RvR aren't based on resources, but regional bonuses instead.

Thank you. After all is or isn't about resources ?.. got lost there. But maybe, just maybe, it is cost that needs reviewing. Seasoning rangoon teak doesn't cost the same as seasoning oak... or live oak... we missing cost per resource when using it for ship building.

Also... do we even know what changes are planned for crafting, economy, resources ?

The suggestion is neither good nor bad.

1 minute ago, sruPL said:

Good luck with that when you just have Capital and nothing more :) No silver, no copper, no gold, no live oak, no mahogany, no bermuda cedar and so on.......

You forget, we capture ships...lol But they still won't be as good as one built by yourself.  Though RvR is not all of the game. 

Guest sruPL
1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

You forget, we capture ships...lol But they still won't be as good as one built by yourself.  Though RvR is not all of the game. 

Yea, it's not if you are rich and can afford all stuff or don't mind sailing green... ah nvm. No green ships anymore.

Edited by sruPL

10 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Jeheil mentioned the point would be to prevent our enemy from having such resources

That was the point of all the Live Oak region attacks mostly. To actually have it and try to deny it.

I wonder how many ALTs got caught by pirates operating from Mary's that were full of LO :D

8 minutes ago, Jeheil said:

So firstly small nations, in the short term are in trouble, no alliances for a while and with the server 'new' split, small nations will be ULTRA small.

I am only suggesting 6-8 ports that make each of the 'rare' resources as opposed to two.

If you are a small nation NOW, you have NO chance of grabbing up one of the TWO ports. As the nations with 200-400 players will SMASH you.

I REALLY REALLY LIKE rare, strategic, worth fighting over ports. But TWO (next door to each other) is perhaps too tight and while in Alpha, with piddling numbers, its terribad.

On the spot. Would think the summit would be about geopolitical situation in NA west indies for the global server and not about game development :)

But some interesting points of view.

3 minutes ago, sruPL said:

Yea, it's not if you are rich and can afford all stuff or don't mind sailing green... ah nvm. No green ships anymore.

No I expect you to be rich and make the good ship so I can steal it. I'm a pirate after all.

But back on topic I think 6 ports for the live oak or even add just two more for 4 that are spread out along the east US coast and Gulf of Mexico coast where Live Oak was actually found and still is growing.

Hethwill  the only reason we had to have a meeting about "Geopolitical situations" is because there is no function to even out the nations.  If that was put in place we would not have to.  As far as the resources it makes it impossible for a small nation to ever compete without the resources.    Here you have so many people,  the leaders of half the game and we are all saying the same thing.  The people that support the game are unhappy there is no question about that.  

• Like 4

If we do this. Limit the number of ports dotted around the map that allow the crafting of certain first rates or aggys etc. Again limit this to 5-6ports spread out. Bring back tactics to conquest instead of random steamrolling 

• Like 1

I am happy Mannis :) and support all. Don't misinterpret my distance from the focused issue, but I like to look to the whole board.

We did have too many mechanics that were focused but did f... all in the grand scheme of things and in the long run didn't work.

But do we even know what is coming post wipe regarding mechanics that rule trade, production, resources, and ultimately ship building ?

As I said, I'd rather see a more realistic approach to the "building" costs of ships than a massive "everyone has it all".

Just as an example Teak ships were massively cheaper and faster to do than Oak ones. Why can't we have that ? LO quality must have a price to pay, no ?

Also... why not have abundance and shortages or resources ? Once you cut down a tree it will not be available anymore for ship building for a long time, hence why so few ships were made of live oak...just maybe :)

Same with silver. Why mines do not dry out as they do in RL ? New veins could eventually be found.

IMO there's more to resources than a simplistic boardgame approach.

7 minutes ago, monk33y said:

If we do this. Limit the number of ports dotted around the map that allow the crafting of certain first rates or aggys etc. Again limit this to 5-6ports spread out. Bring back tactics to conquest instead of random steamrolling 

Naval Bases.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

On the spot. Would think the summit would be about geopolitical situation in NA west indies for the global server and not about game development :)

But some interesting points of view.

Hard to constrain 60 odd opinions, God help whoever was taking minutes.

The conversation moved to resources as it looks like Global will be Pirates v GB v US as a core player base. However, this also means only the US have Live Oak and its on their doorstep.

The fact we had 50-60 in the chat and ~100 watching the stream is testimony to how many folks WANT this to be a good game as those participating represent a fraction of those who care.

Edited by Jeheil
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Jeheil said:

Hard to constrain 60 odd opinions, God help whoever was taking minutes.

The conversation moved to resources as it looks like Global will be GB v US as a core player base with Pirates annoying them both (and prob every one else). However, this also means only the US have Live Oak and its on their doorstep.

There I fixed that for you....don't put us with the big boys...lol

• Like 3

Great topic and it seems this is an issue many people are in agreement with. It would make the most sense for the developers to take this into account and maybe the sooner the better. The game is still in EA, plenty of time to test the new resource distribution, if people remain happy with it, then it will be part of the final release, if it doesn't work then it was given a fair chance and something else will have to be implemented.

hopefully, with so many people in agreement with this idea, they devs will actually here our voices and take notice of things we would like to see happen that would make the game better for all, hence more people playing the game. now we have to wait and see what happens.