Game-Labs Forum

A letter to Snow Flake, The Truth Hurts

JobaSet

Dear Snow Flake,

I have been playing this game for a while and think I am a average player in it.  But if you don’t know me, you should know how I think to understand this article.   This game, the Developers, and YOU need to understand that this game is not made for the 40-50 people that are over board vocal on this forum. Have you ever used any of the terms in the forums below:
•    “For the health of the game”
•    "That will turn the game into a Gank fest"
•    "I need my safe zone"
•     "Takes too much time"
•    "Not all play styles are like yours"
•    "Clearly you care not about the game and only about yourself."
•    "It's this type of selfish attitude that has landed the servers in the situation we are in now." 

To those that have used any of the terms above, I propose you might be the problem. 

You may need to stop reading now.

Just because, you don’t agree with me does not make me wrong look at the numbers mate, I have the freedom to express my views as I see fit and to offend if necessary.  That freedom dose not “GIVE” you the right to, force me to change my thinking or my ways.  Not yet, Hopefully never. So, get over it. Snowflake!

In this game, this is who I am,

Everything in this games is gear against PVP on a PVP server. I think all timers are stupid. There is No such thing as a Gank Squad, it is just a group of players(friends) looking to get bested by another group of friends in an epic battle. The only circle in this game that worked was the one that got smaller in a port battle as time went on, and it should have been in ever battle. Nations Should have been scraped (But you could pick a nation you were from) and Multiple clans should be able to make alliances. Every port can be taken over by a clan but they must do up keep to keep it running a reason to fight for it. You are going to die, and I am going to die, we are all going to die, a lot. I am against anything that makes the game Carebear friendly as in protection or crutch for a Carebear.  When Carebears use it as a crutch it is just plain Stupid and bad for the game.  Fleets. AI Fleets, AI Towers, Star trek Transporters, and AI Forts. With one exception, they should be able to level in Nations capital waters without fear of getting jumped in a mission.  Notice I didn’t say getting to the mission.

Let me get some definitions out of the way 1st.

PVP is defined as player versus player. But, in reality, it means Players versus Players, see what I did with the “s”.  When I play a game, I Love not knowing what is around every corner, what if I do this and not that, that might work. The unknown is what PVP is known for, and an NPC/Ai will never be a substitute for real people.  
     ~Bill Paxton - That’s it man, Game over man, Game over, What the F3ck we going to do now? What are we going to do?
That’s the thrill of it.

Carebear is a slang term that is used to refer to a video gamer who avoids violence and competition, or a video came that has very few violent elements. In the context of game design, a Carebear is usually aimed at a younger audience. (Not really in Naval Action seems mostly older crowd I think)

Carebear games tend to be exploratory in nature and rarely have play mechanics that can result in a character’s death. A Carebear in this PVP game, chooses to inhabit safe zones and undertake non-competitive activities. In other words, only interacts with players when there is little chance of getting beat by another player or they know they can get away.

Again you should stop reading if you disagree with anything I have said so far, it is going to get worse.

PS: Don’t leave a comment, because your comments will only make things worse.

So let me start by pissing some of you off.

Naval Action is not a Solo game.  The more friends you have, the better your experience will be in this game. Its better(more fun) to play with a group, than to play with yourself.  This Line will be used over and over. So lets get started shall we.

Hot topics Carebears Champion all day every day.

Hostility Missions:

• Main objective was to generate more PVP. How long that last a week
  • The whole gain hostility with mission was ok when it came out, it was not great, but the open battle timers made it great. The problem, you guessed it, was the carebears and it always is.  I got jumped by 10 players while I was trying to level by myself.  How am I supposed to level without getting ganked.
  • What they don’t say is that they were in enemy territory gaining hostility or that they were grinding down hostility from an advancing enemy. Carebears never lie, they just don’t tell the whole truth. 
    • FAIL Devs Cave to the Carebear 5 min mission timers.
    • In Large areas, they can now grind up or down hostility without fear.
    • Then Star Trek back to port  (Another Fail I will get to later)
    • The only way to stop aggression is to catch them headed to a mission or get lucky and find one that has just started.
    • So will need large groups searching an endless ocean, or as your local Carebear would say “Gank Squad”
  • What should have been done.
    •  Devs Should Have told them “Naval Action is not a Solo game.  The more friends you have, the better your experience will be in this game. Its better(more fun) to play with a group, than to play with yourself.
    • And/Or only close mission in county’s that can’t be taken over. Capitals
      • Fail - can’t do missions in capital area.  For the life of me, I am not making this stuff up. See I think about the Carebears pain also.

Star Trek Transporters

• Take note: transport to Capital I can live with.
  • Naval Action is not a Solo game.  The more friends you have, the better your experience will be in this game. Its better (more fun) to play with a group, than to play with yourself.
  • I have not heard one good reason this was done ever.
    • If I keep attacking over and over.
    • I am faster than you.
    • You are just lucky because you have a 20 sec timer that allows you to get into a great position at start of battle. If your timing is good.
      • It is because I am faster than you, I should catch you or I would never have been able to tag you in the 1st place, you are just using a game mechanic to try and justify, well nothing other than you need a tshirt.
      • You are going to die get over it and you should. Learn from your mistakes. Not a Solo Game.
    • This being added, put a whole new level of Stupid into play for a PVP game.  It has ramification across many other aspects of the game for the Carebear Nation as you will see.

Tag Timers/System

• 20/15 second timer.
    • Fail for 20s Timer - If you meet a boat head on they can easily avoid your tag by running through you and out the other end of circle. How does that even make since.
    • Fail for 15s Timer – If you are Attacker good luck killing Anyone once they read this.
      • If you see an attacker coming at you turn up wind slightly off on your better side (yes, boats have better side up wind watch a vid) so you are still barely moving.
      • The attacker will follow you up wind and probably will still gain on you no reason to worry, Even tho He has a faster boat by far you will be fine.
      • As soon as you, the one being attacked, can attack do so. By the time the 15-sec timer is up, and you go into the battle.  He will be so far away he wont even hit you, much less have you under control.  Just escape after 2 minutes. Makes for an easy escape 100% of the time then Star Trek to friendly port, never to be seen again. 
      • The only time this will fail is when the Pray is 2 level higher in rate.  Then you should easily beat him. We hope.
        • Attackers only solution to this is u guessed it: Naval Action is not a Solo game.  The more friends you have, the better your experience will be in this game. Its better(more fun) to play with a group, than to play with yourself. Or better known as the Gank Squad.
    • How this could/should have been Fixed.
      • Battle Starts instantly if timer is going and you touch the small circle around boat you are attacking.
      • Attacking Party (Group and Nation) escape timer is 10 mins not 2. They can leave if battle over of course. More than enough time to catch said pray.
      • 20/15/10s timers Don’t care Timers are stupid pick one and use the above.
      • Side Note: this would stop small groups griefing by attacking 1st rates and just running, also, if everyone in the nation that attacked had to wait 10 mins, and yea it is COLD thing to do, but it would fix a lot of other problems easy.

Instant return to port:

• Picky-boo what in the world is this crap.
  • Naval Action is not a Solo game.  The more friends you have, the better your experience will be in this game. Its better (more fun) to play with a group, than to play with yourself.
  • 99% of all so call real deep water ports you must zig zag your way into. That is still true today.  In other words, you can’t see the Ocean From the Dock your ship is sitting at or moored. Excluding Shallow water ports were all ships were vulnerable to attacks anyways.
    • For the nay, Sayers Look it up, every port if you want to, but here is an example Bruswick http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11506.shtml Notice were Brunswick Ports are and distance to the Ocean.
    • The Savannah Ports were located 7 miles upstream or more. WTF
  • The problem you have is a few players out side “camping” a port and this is a reasonable thing to do when you are running up hostility. Sorry to break it to you.  One person picky-boos outs count the numbers ships and type pops back in. Then Magically 3x players come out of port in bigger boats. No risk for the defenders at all. NONE
    • Yet another Truth for the nay Sayers, Vain and Blackbeard both routinely attack Ships coming and going from Charleston.  Look it up or watch Black Sails either one will do.
  • How to fix.
    • It Should take some time to return to port, more time than it takes to tag someone.

Destroying cargo before battle

• The worse griefing aspect of this Game bar none.
    • Carebears will eve brag about it, when they do it, and if they brag about it you know it is bad for the game.
    • Would never happen in real life.
    • this should not even be an option except for say “Fish”.
  • At best/lest A captain would negotiate with an attacker. And only lose what the other ship could carry. To Keep his ship and crew safe.
  • The Fix
    • Simply remove destroy cargo. Or put it on some long timer (yea I said that) you might want to Star Trek to Capital. I get it.
    • Add some type of Negotiation aspect in game. 

Newbs/Carebears Zones

• See it is not all bad
  • Newbs/Carebears should be able to run mission in the Capital County without fear of getting jumped in mission. They just started and not made many friends yet.
    • They still run the risk of getting attacked getting to the mission though.

Pirates

• A broke nation they refuse to fix.
    • Before we even START…… Pirates then and now controlled cites and ports.
      • 1600-1800 Port Royal, St Mary’s Island, Toruga, Clew Bay, New Providence, Barataria Bay, just a few off top of my head.
      • 1800 until NOW – A freaking Lake called Falcon lake on the US boarder how is this even possible, to many cities along west Africa to name, Let us not forget about the Indian Ocean Pirates cost people right at 7 billion with a Capital “B” last year. Pirates of the Straits of Malacca near Indonesia. I wish I was making this stuff up, but I am not.
  • So, that ends that Topic real fast. Next

• Pirates are supposed to be hard play
    • Yep They get it, they are.
    • Treated as a Nation without any of the benefits.
      • Always out numbers just like in game. But,
      •  A pirate could always picked witch side of a battle they were on (not in this game)
    • They should be able to join any battle on any side They want or as a Pirate and kill both of the Waring parties.
      • They are Scum, but they be smart too, let them beat each other up, then take, or kill them all…….. it’s what they do.
      • Pay me I will help you out (pay me I will help you out would be neat feature) Highest bidder gets my support for this fight that would rock
  • The Pirate nation has the longest Alliance/Truce on the server and its a virtual hand shake they control, not a system that binds them and they have no control over.
  • They don’t need or want an Alliance system. But they need to be able to support, friends and the other way around just like in real life. A 3-way circle (god I said it) lose the circles give them a button, with the option to join as Pirate only, the button is already made and everything. They don’t need an option to pick the other nations they won’t fire on their friends they actually look at what they are firing at. Even if they are red to them. How simple could that be to make happen.
  • This might be pushing it, but Give them the Same type of option to join port battles. May have to come up with some creative way to do this. But wow what a game changer for everyone everywhere. I must come back to this one.
  • Biggest Pirate Joke in the game when ANNOUCED.  Raids
    • That Pirates were going to get some kind of a raiding system. Not one pirate thought that this was going to happen, not one, nor any nation. Everyone knew it, was a very bad year long joke.  Carebears would cry and it would be given to everyone. Since it was a-would-be an advantage and to much for the big 3 to handle since they already out number them 3 or 4 to 1.  Water under the keel.

Let us not forget about the Gank Squads

• What else needs to be said here but I will try.
  • “In war, Out Number, Out Maneuver, and Out Class your opponent in every aspect of the coming battles. So, that the battle ends quickly, with the least number of casualties as possible.” ~JobaSet 1999 Comic-con (Yes this is real)
  •  Get a bigger group and go get them omg how hard is that to do.
    • Granted instant return to ports won’t help you.
    • Hmm instant close of battle won’t help you either.
    • Star Trek Transporter “Damn it, Jim”
    • To many AI coming. “Run Forest”
    •  LOL, they are running, Shit, to the forts
    • What the hell getting attacked by a Cutter half of us just got pulled in.
    • “Game Over man, just game over”

Come on people see where I am going with this.  I just set everyone up. And it felt good.  Carebears have created the/this problem and they keep compounding it ever time they cry and get a Carebear patch. I have just proved it. Every time the Devs do anything for the Carebears, they are killing off small groups of PVP players in mass. So, what you are left with is mobs of Players that are mostly made up of Carebears that only interacts with players when there is little chance of getting beat by another player or they know they can get away, if the shit hits the fan.  

9-12 months ago, 2000 plus people on servers, before all the instant close, Crazy AI Fleets, more timers than a Burger King Kitchen, all the Star trekking, and every Carebear patch since.  How many people are on Now?  But Carebears Have not changed, why would they, they get whatever they want even when 90% population have left the game main reason no PVP or too hard to find PVP. 

Love

JobaSet

Edited by JobaSet
  • Like 10

Typing TLDR is probably the biggest waste of everyone's time. If you don't want to read it then don't. Joba makes several good points. The system is broken and patch by patch the devs move farther away from making this a hardcore pvp game. I'm interested to see how the new patch works out but cringe when I think about past patches.

Big tag circle shrinks to small tag with large pull circle-This resulted in ships being able to run. My 15.2 speed in battle connie can't seem to catch up with a 13.0 speed in battle LGV on the open world. I can't pull them into battle unless they're totally not paying attention. When I do pull them the super circle pulls in the crap ton of large AI fleets allowing them to hide in them. Then you better keep that guy tagged every 2 minutes or he's going to escape. Oh and don't forget the forts that will decimate me that they run to also. Win for the carebears.

Battles close instantly or with signalling you can equal BR-Gotta keep things even on the open world seems to be the thought behind this one. This isn't some matchmade battle in a lobby. Win for the carebears.

Teleport to nearest friendly port-Lame. At least with battle logging I can waste their time as much as mine. Win for the carebears.

Raising hostility instead of flags-Seemed like a great idea. But good luck finding an enemy in a mission since there's so much ocean they could be in and their missions close in 5 minutes. Even when you do jump in they turn tail, run, and tp to nearest friendly. The best way to countergrind is to do AI missions of your own. Another carebear win.

New port battle system-3 circles to cap. Let's just concentrate on holding circles, avoid fighting other players, and get this over before sinking. At least with the old system you take the towers and then hunt down the enemy. Win for the carebears.

How about bringing back the old tag circle. Cut down the number of AI fleets greatly. Get rid of the stupid forts except on a few major ports. Have ships open world speed match their in battle speeds. Don't start that 2 minute exit timer until ships have made it 2000 meters from the attackers. Keep battles open till they're done. 5 minutes till you get kicked from battle results screen to open world and 5 minutes to get kicked from an empty battle. Let hostility rise from sitting in the open world and blockading a port with a port battle as soon as a limit is reached. In the port battle one big circle that everyone fights in. Attackers bombard the city and if the defenders don't stop them they lose.

I'm sure things are different on pvp1, but on pvp2 it seems the majority of the population tries to avoid pvp. That means the majority of the population wants to make this into a carebear's paradise. Hopefully the devs vision of this game are not the same or I've got this game all wrong.

• Like 6

My 15.2 speed in battle connie can't seem to catch up with a 13.0 speed in battle LGV on the open world

You do know an LGV with 80br probably cannot counter tag a Connie. So if you can get up closer, reset your tag. Plus an LGV is one of the few ships that can pretty much escape anything. Best bet if you are LGV hunting, use a surprise (fir built for hunting traders). 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651042782

---

On everything else, I agree with everything but forever open timers. If teleports are removed, longer timers but still not forever open would be fine. Players in battle cannot see what is happening on the open world. Battle instances are the fault but cannot be avoided.  

Also, I'm not totally against towers & AI around ports but they definately need to be scaled down. Again, if you are trying to catch a traders cutter with a frigate, you are using the wrong ship. In a lynx, for example, you can still capture a traders Lynx with a fleet of large ships in the battle and get out before they get close.   If you are in a frigate and see a player in a SOL coming out of port, watch him and follow him until he gets farther away from fleets.  If you are in a group, then even if a fleet is pulled into battle, a few members can get the fleet to follow them while a few others work on the Vic. If you are solo, then you may have to let him get away and watch for someone else  

Im guessing you were not around when reinforcements were in game?

Naval action is a multiplayer game but that doesn't mean it's also not for the solo player, just harder for the solo player (I like playing with friends but play solo now as my close friends haven't been on, so I'm not a true solo player)  Look a Rust, another multiplier game which actually has game guides written by people for the solo player (hidden stashes are your best friend)

In NA, you can successfully hunt for PVP solo or with a small group in enemy waters but be watchful and chose fast ships, light frigates, rattlesnakes, etc.  Don't cry if you are ganked in your Connie.

#nofleets

#noGPS

Edited by Anne Wildcat

2 hours ago, Duncan McFail said:

I'm sure things are different on pvp1, but on pvp2 it seems the majority of the population tries to avoid pvp. That means the majority of the population wants to make this into a carebear's paradise. Hopefully the devs vision of this game are not the same or I've got this game all wrong.

In my observation it  May be more of the same, Yes they have more hard PVP'ers with the numbers but they also have more carebears with even more numbers.  Killed 17/25 in less than 3 hours on pvp1 every single one ran or tried 2. Most made many of the same mistakes as on pvp2.  The only ones that got away Tagged me moving up wind as I was gaining on them(Failed Taging system).  So yea PVP1 has more pvpers, but also have more Carebears due to more population.  I will say they respond way faster than expected. But they may be due to more population also. To my observant eye I see about  10-15% hard pvpers about same as pvp2,  Then about 30-45% that think they can pvp and give it best they can when needed  Then about 40-60% that have no clue what they are doing.  % wise its really about the same its just they have more of all 3 types with more numbers on the Server 

Edited by JobaSet

Sure let's go back to battlescreen camping... Come on it was the most stupid way to "play" a game i had ever seen. you talk about dumping cargo beeing not realistic - and i agree to this - same applies to players calling counter gank squad with a futuristic radio chat and time warp in open world.

If you dont want a TP back to friendly port then we need a 1/2 min invisibility + not allowed to initiate / join battles.

• Like 2

Some of the best fun iv ever had in the game was waiting in battle screen after capturing brits first rates outside kpr when the brits had us pirates out numbered but ran leaving slow first rates to be captured. Quick repairing. Sitting in battle screen while one brave pirate looked outside to see the counter gank force block out the sun with numbers. We could either fun or hide. 

When we chose to fight it was epic, using tactics and skill to fight the brainless masses! (not all)

I even remember being close to sinking so I sat across liquids first rates front. Firing my cannonaids into his front end creating leak after leak. 

Lost my ship but the guys got away.

Also remember using my beloved fire boarding ship to screw over 3 frigs and a santi that got me before I could repair in ow! I go boom they become rafts. Then the rest of the group captured them while I sank.

All outside kpr. The good old days 

• Like 1

All fun. Although that brit alt warning of rates exiting KPR and Carlisle on their own while the dread squadrons waited inside battle was a sorrow way to conduct a gallant war :)... A lot to be said, but those days are gone and done.

We have to sacrifice a bit of realism OP, especially to overcome GPS, real-time communications, etc.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zooloo said:

Sure let's go back to battlescreen camping... Come on it was the most stupid way to "play" a game i had ever seen. You are right should have dumped you into the open world....O wait were you the one in battle screen or one waiting out side.

you talk about dumping cargo beeing not realistic - and i agree to this - same applies to players calling counter gank squad with a futuristic radio chat and time warp in open world.

If you dont want a TP back to friendly port then we need a 1/2 min invisibility + not allowed to initiate / join battles.

• I have not heard one good reason this was done ever.
    • If I keep attacking over and over.
    • I am faster than you.
    • You are just lucky because you have a 20 sec timer that allows you to get into a great position at start of battle. If your timing is good.
      • It is because I am faster than you, I should catch you or I would never have been able to tag you in the 1st place, you are just using a game mechanic to try and justify, well nothing other than you need a tshirt. Women's Care Bears Cheer Bear Face T-Shirt
      • You are going to die get over it and you should. Learn from your mistakes. Not a Solo Game.
    • This being added, put a whole new level of Stupid into play for a PVP game.  It has ramification across many other aspects of the game for the Carebear Nation as you will see.
1 minute ago, monk33y said:

Some of the best fun iv ever had in the game was waiting in battle screen after capturing brits first rates outside kpr when the brits had us pirates out numbered but ran leaving slow first rates to be captured. Quick repairing. Sitting in battle screen while one brave pirate looked outside to see the counter gank force block out the sun with numbers. We could either fun or hide. 

When we chose to fight it was epic, using tactics and skill to fight the brainless masses! (not all)

I even remember being close to sinking so I sat across liquids first rates front. Firing my cannonaids into his front end creating leak after leak. 

Lost my ship but the guys got away.

Also remember using my beloved fire boarding ship to screw over 3 frigs and a santi that got me before I could repair in ow! I go boom they become rafts. Then the rest of the group captured them while I sank.

All outside kpr. The good old days 

I miss them days to, instead of fighting all together they would pop out 1 or 2 at a time lol. Not together and all die

5 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

All fun. Although that brit alt warning of rates exiting KPR and Carlisle on their own while the dread squadrons waited inside battle was a sorrow way to conduct a gallant war :)... A lot to be said, but those days are gone and done.

We have to sacrifice a bit of realism OP, especially to overcome GPS, real-time communications, etc.

I think they could have forced you in to open would after 5 mins as a group would have been over all, and made for a  better game than 1 or 2 poping out looking and dieing. Gave every one time to go pee

Edited by JobaSet

Just now, JobaSet said:

I think they could have forced you in to open would after 5 mins as a group would have been over all, and made for a  better game than 1 or 2 poping out looking and dieing

I think Control and Signaling should be game mechanics.

• Like 3