Game-Labs Forum

A letter to Snow Flake, The Truth Hurts

JobaSet

42 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I heard Liquicity found this guy today and thrashed him.  It's always fun watching the fleet noobs lose.

Watched this.... 

It was pretty brutal!!!

Well done! Great fight!! 

There's seals and seal clubbers...

• Like 2

Ahh, just watched it! Good fight! @Liquicity what is your Surp built? I was interested to see someone else using Reno or Surp vs 4th rates. This is a normal circumstance for me and @Pelennor as Brits love their 4th rates and we love our Renos and Surps and hunt solo.

Watching you single shooting mast made me thinking...

My ping on PVP1 is averaging 350+. On PVP2 is 200+. Demasting single shooting is nearlly impossible. Somehow even if the aim was perfect I keep missing. Maybe this has something to do with the 30ms ping you have which means its almost instant and mine makes my aim half a second off, dont know.

Re: Joba.

Stop trashing him just because you disagree. His points on play styles are clear and whether you sunk him or he sunk you makes no difference. Sinking him doesn't make you right. Stop the primary school bully act. Its not cool.

I never saw him questioning your skills, only your take on playstyle and how you want everything adjusted to fit it. Same as Joba I also against insta close battles or short timers. I understand your reasons (because you want to stop ganks), but you see you want hard coded restrictions such as close battles and there is no other way around it. No more ganks, no more thrill for me to be ganked etc. Instead we should make other game mechanics that are sensible and REDUCE posibility of such ganks. But removing them 100% just because you want to feel safe in the instance... err want that t-shirt? :D

There are TONS of ways to reduce ganks without even touching battle instances. You act like a group of narrow minded people who no longer have any desire to test other ways. You sit tight on these mechanics failig to recognise the fact that they mostly killed the servers and that half of your lot are even no longer logging in, yet you think you have right to demand your opinion on what this should be on those who still play and willing to test anything.

With these ROE mechanics plus Signaling you are making another session match making game. The only differense is that you cant have battle after battle like in true session game. You have to sail, wait for hours, some times miss opportunity to join fight just because game mechanics wont let you etc. Less skilled people  which is what main population is end up sitting in ports because they can no longer ask for help. More skillful players end up sitting in ports because they cant find targets.

We have tried your way for a long time. Its time we try more hardcore no restrictions and this time find solutions to tackle gank issues other than screwing with the ROE timers. If you are not happy to test them with us, you need take a break and let the community continue the testing work. Come back when its done, but dont stop us looking for other solutions just becuase you have an opinion.

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, koltes said:

what is your Surp built?

Cedar Speed Pirate fit, quite common nowadays

1 hour ago, koltes said:

Stop trashing him just because you disagree

I never "trashed" him. The way I approached him first was gentle and friendly (see page 2 of this thread). However, his reactions seemed quite childish. Mainly wanted to indicate that NA can also be a solo game, as he said it strictly cannot, which is obviously false. Short extract:

"Devs Should Have told them “Naval Action is not a Solo game.  The more friends you have, the better your experience will be in this game. Its better (more fun) to play with a group, than to play with yourself."

I've spent most of my well over 3k hours on this game as a solo player, been enjoying it very much and know a few others that are feeling the same.
However, the way he reacted was below the level for me to keep respecting him (and his opinions). Just throwing around with carebear pictures in this thread, accusing others gameplay styles not to be correct, to be the only one who knows whats right etc.. So after our encounter (him having fleetships, which is, if I may say so, freaking HILARIOUS when calling others carebears) I felt like giving some of those carebears he posted back.. ;)

1 hour ago, koltes said:

but you see you want hard coded restrictions such as close battles and there is no other way around it. No more ganks, no more thrill for me to be ganked etc. Instead we should make other game mechanics that are sensible and REDUCE posibility of such ganks. But removing them 100% just because you want to feel safe in the instance... err want that t-shirt? :D

Honestly, in open world, you should get what you see. Has always been my opinion, will always be. Now, I think Signaling rules may have to be applied for all battles, just to counter offensive gankers, as in those that feel like they're being awesome by attacking someone outnumbering him 5 to 1. The guy outnumbered should have the possibility to call for help and get it. 
We've had open battles before, and it sucked. Could barely enjoy a fight, never knew what ship would appear out of nowhere in a minute or two. May be thrilling for some, but for me it just ruins the complete game. What's the point in a 1v5+? 1v2 or 1v3 may be doable, when equal ships, but anything above is just pure ZERG force.
Might also have to say I'm pro-signaling-for-all-battles because I'm a solo player, solo hunting. The fights I enjoy the most are small frigate battles. Why would you want a nice frigate duel being disturbed by anything like a lineship reinforcement fleet? might aswell stop playing in that case.

1 hour ago, koltes said:

With these ROE mechanics plus Signaling you are making another session match making game.

Asked for that before, basically a game parallel to the open world game where the main goal is to have nice and equal fights. A lobby system. I get that the guys operating in RvR have absolutely no interest in that, and I respect that, but still think for people that just want to enjoy a nice and equal fight now and then such a lobby system would be very useful. Some mod told me maybe in a few years there will be a new game by gamelabs focussed on those elements. We can hope.

Edited by Liquicity
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Liquicity said:

Honestly, in open world, you should get what you see. Has always been my opinion, will always be. Now, I think Signaling rules may have to be applied for all battles, just to counter offensive gankers, as in those that feel like they're being awesome by attacking someone outnumbering him 5 to 1. The guy outnumbered should have the possibility to call for help and get it. 
We've had open battles before, and it sucked. Could barely enjoy a fight, never knew what ship would appear out of nowhere in a minute or two. May be thrilling for some, but for me it just ruins the complete game. What's the point in a 1v5+? 1v2 or 1v3 may be doable, when equal ships, but anything above is just pure ZERG force.
Might also have to say I'm pro-signaling-for-all-battles because I'm a solo player, solo hunting. The fights I enjoy the most are small frigate battles. Why would you want a nice frigate duel being disturbed by anything like a lineship reinforcement fleet? might aswell stop playing in that case.

I tend to agree with the above. I can certainly understand the thrill of a slightly mismatched fight, but as I've said in-game, there's a line between a long shot and sheer and utter destruction. Having just a short while ago started a battle with a few friends where we were ALREADY outnumbered, only to have Pirate players bring in 3 more line ships and a handful of heavy frigates and run their mouths again... I'm not against PvP, but there's an ocean between what we're seeing now and what anyone other than a power player in a massive faction might find fun.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

Damn you can spin that thing on a Dime.  

Yup, it is agile indeed, but it doesnt take many mistakes to screw up in it. Surps masts are paper, as demonstrated often enough by @TommyShelby. I remember one battle, a few other brits and me in surps vs. OCEAN guys in cecilias, we didn't stand a chance. Tommy had one demasted after his first single-shot-broadside.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Liquicity said:

Yup, it is agile indeed, but it doesnt take many mistakes to screw up in it. Surps masts are paper, as demonstrated often enough by @TommyShelby. I remember one battle, a few other brits and me in surps vs. OCEAN guys in cecilias, we didn't stand a chance. Tommy had one demasted after his first single-shot-broadside.

I didn't even get a hit on you in that battle today.  Well no more than 3 or 4 at a time. Red rudder Sucks. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

I didn't even get a hit on you in that battle today.  Well no more than 3 or 4 at a time. Red rudder Sucks. 

Yeah if you can drive as well as Liq there is not much a bigger ship can do. Don't feel at all bad about the fight he is one of the better players in the game.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

I love my Cedar speed Pirate Refit Surprise! I even have a set of gold staysails on mine (along with copper and opti rudder). Super fast ship...Surprisingly fast :lol:. Though I don't sail her too often, she has nevertheless claimed the lives of several fourth rates and even made a couple third rates cry :D. I will admit to running fleet ships, usually a frigate and a snow (or some other smaller ship, sometimes two snows), but their main purpose is to serve as crew reserves in case the enemy decides to start graping. After all, AI rarely does anything useful in the fight but serve as a damage sponge or crew locker. Occasionally they will figure out how to shoot chain effectively or hit the hull enough to distract the enemy.

I also agree, Surprise's masts are PAPER thin man. If your opponent knows how to demast one, and is good at it, you are in trouble if you slip up.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

Cedar Speed Pirate fit, quite common nowadays
Thats what I use and thats what it seemed to me, but some of my clan mates thought it might have been heavier ship with agile hull. Just wanted to prove them wrong :)

"...I never "trashed" him. The way I approached him first was gentle and friendly (see page 2 of this thread). However, his reactions seemed quite childish..."
"...I've spent most of my well over 3k hours on this game as a solo player, been enjoying it very much and know a few others that are feeling the same.
However, the way he reacted was below the level for me to keep respecting him (and his opinions). Just throwing around with carebear pictures in this thread, accusing others gameplay styles not to be correct, to be the only one who knows whats right etc.. ."

Look we need to accept everybody's differences and personalities. We have to put up with people in our clan full of negativity like its their job, others like to throw a tantrum every now and than, others like to stay stubborn and value their opinion until they are muted by the clan etc etc.
One of the things that largely attracted me to this game is the community. I mean 2 days I go I tried Counter Strike for the fist time in my life. OMFG! Do people talk ship and act like wankers all the time there? Its the maturity of this community and the love for the game and the intentions to make it better that I love.
Every one have their differences and we must not forget to hear out constructively everyone. This guy with a down syndrome could tell some valuable points that everyone is missing or deliver an amazing fight. We need to listen harder to everybody so we could also hear the guy with autism syndrome who can't communicate his thinking to others, but is actually a genius... only if we could hear him out without prejudgement.
Joba likes to eat words and for a guy for whom English is a second language I often have to ask 5 times until he chew it up for me. I accept his way of communication and he accepts the need to repeat it to me like I'm a dumb mother fkr.
What I'm trying to say is that we need to stop this personal crap. If you (not "you" personally, but everyone) don't like it just pass it by your ears. If someone shows personality bypass just be above that. No need to repeat that and gather in a group of supporters to beat the crap out of him.

So after our encounter (him having fleetships, which is, if I may say so, freaking HILARIOUS when calling others carebears) I felt like giving some of those carebears he posted back.. ;)
Didn't know that fleet ships are a carebear tactics. People take them to try to slow down faster opponents since we couldn't do it on his Ingermanland. Predominantly sailing Reno or Surprise I never take fleet with me. Just because they get in a way. Again the way you are looking at this is from Equality perspective, which should NOT be in the OW in my opinion. I know plenty of times when Joba attacked few players sailing solo. Having fleet don't really justify carebear.

Honestly, in open world, you should get what you see.
In deep waters this makes sense, however what about in the capital region? When I tag a player just outside KPR, there are players who are in THAT port and when they undock they could literally see the battle instance and they cant join to help the poor guy? I see this as an issue. To me this denying support and team play. This doesn't help the nation to get this binding feeling of helping each other as a nation. Paroling and making freaking capital safe is no longer make any sense which also deny's lots of RP gameplay for some less hardcore players.
Your answer - lets just close all battles. My answer is no, we should make deep water battles harder to join, but battles outside capitals and nation ports open. People should be able to expect being ganked outside enemy capital or even well established region. Dont you think this is unfair to the nation that someone sneaks up and attacks their players and they cant protect them... it does to me.

Has always been my opinion, will always be.
You see... this is maximalism and rigid uncompromising approach. Do you think that you are ALWAYS right to be able to tell me that your opinion will never change? This attitude right there makes you missing some good valuable input for others, simply because with that approach you can't hear them.

Now, I think Signaling rules may have to be applied for all battles, just to counter offensive gankers, as in those that feel like they're being awesome by attacking someone outnumbering him 5 to 1. The guy outnumbered should have the possibility to call for help and get it.
Signalling (especially not a perk but built in game mechanic) is equalising every single fight. No more ganking you think will promote this game better? People came here because they are tired of WOT lobbies and what you are essentially making is another lobby game.

We've had open battles before, and it sucked. Could barely enjoy a fight, never knew what ship would appear out of nowhere in a minute or two.
There are ways to counter that without closing battles. The trouble is that it cant be simple. The ROE needs to be complex and dependant on territory. We already have an example of Rookie Zone. Its a step forward testing various ROE mechanics in one world depending on where you are.
This means that regions could have Nation Statuses or influence level. The higher the influence of the nation in the zone more flexibility to ROE that nation have in there. This means that Capitals will have ability to jump and protect their nearby players in trouble, but around Free Ports and in deep waters ROE can be totally different.
Simple ROE will not work in this scale of game.

May be thrilling for some, but for me it just ruins the complete game. What's the point in a 1v5+? 1v2 or 1v3 may be doable, when equal ships, but anything above is just pure ZERG force.

Because you want to turn OW into all nice and fair duels. If you want a fair fight, why not use lobby that is already in the game. If that's what you are after you don't even need to sail anywhere. Just ask in global and you will get your duel or small fleet fight. Maybe you just want to play another game of what NA is not mean to be? It was mean to be a sandbox with no restrictions, just tools that you can use to play the way you like.

Asked for that before, basically a game parallel to the open world game where the main goal is to have nice and equal fights. A lobby system. I get that the guys operating in RvR have absolutely no interest in that, and I respect that, but still think for people that just want to enjoy a nice and equal fight now and then such a lobby system would be very useful. Some mod told me maybe in a few years there will be a new game by gamelabs focussed on those elements. We can hope.
Exactly man, you see you want the lobby game and all your approach to OW is.. well you guessed it - a lobby Instances. Frankly this ruins the game for the rest of us who want the OW to be wild. There is a lobby built in already. Its not perfect, but its usable. Maybe we need to ask devs to make few adjustments to it so you could call people for organised fights leaving the OW without any matchmaking crap.

35 minutes ago, TXSailor said:

Out of curiousity, what would you recommend as a solution to the gank fest? 

There are quite a few things that could be done about it. They all need testing and community work of course.
With Battle Instances open until battles are finished these things will help to reduce the gank fest as you know it today from previous experiences:

1. GPS needs to be removed. Pinpointing your location as well as location of the Battle Instance in the OW made it possible to easily find Instances and gank.
2. Instead Navigation Button introduced. Clicking this button will run 2 min timer after which it will show a large circle on the map of your approximate location, thus makes sailing more interesting and while you can't pinpoint anything with a meter precision you still can't get lost;
3. When player teleports to FREE PORT he has 15 minute no join timer. He may initiate any combat right away, but can't join battles for 15 minutes, thus stops people jumping into battles outside free towns right away, but this does not apply to areas like nation capitals. Teleport and help that newb outside no problems;
4. Sailing in regions needs to slow down to speed of Battle Instance. If you sail 9kn in instance then its the same 9 kn in OW on same POS. Because of distance compression it still will take you much faster to travel. Outside regions speed goes to what it was before (without 20% resent speed increase) and in deep waters to cross vast areas your speed doubles so you sail from KPR to Willemstad in 15-20 mins or from Mort to Kidd's in 20 mins sort of thing, thus lessen time sink for travel, but makes sailing around regions more realistic;
5. If you were within visual range when battle started you can join with no restrictions. You where there and see it happened. If you were outside visual distance than when you click on Join Battle button 2 things happen: 1). 5 minute timer starts before you can join; 2). Everybody inside gets the message that another ship is joining the battle and their name and ship is added to the TAB list as pending with showed timer. Thus gives people inside the instance clear understanding of what is going to happen and will allow them to make decisions. This in battle notification and timer also represents the fact that anyone sailing towards the battle would have been seen by everyone;
6. Main gank fest happens outside Free Ports, because people just sit in there and wait and call out their friends who also "fishing" outside other ports. So to tackle that Neutral Zone needs to be added to all Free Ports. The distance of the Zone is a visual range. If you left Free Port and you see someone start following you will be able to comeback to the port. This represents the historical fact that there were no fights in the Neutral harbours or around in the close proximity. Those who would initiate the fight would have been hunted by the entire Brotherhood and they would never be able to comeback

All this alone will make gank fest 500% less than what you knew when the battles were open before without proper mechanics.

1 hour ago, JobaSet said:

Damn you can spin that thing on a Dime.  

1 hour ago, Liquicity said:

1 hour ago, JobaSet said:

50 minutes ago, Nikodemus said:

Yeah if you can drive as well as Liq there is not much a bigger ship can do. Don't feel at all bad about the fight he is one of the better players in the game.

25 minutes ago, Willis PVP2 said:

I love my Cedar speed Pirate Refit Surprise! I even have a set of gold staysails on mine (along with copper and opti rudder). Super fast ship...Surprisingly fast :lol:. Though I don't sail her too often, she has nevertheless claimed the lives of several fourth rates and even made a couple third rates cry :D. I will admit to running fleet ships, usually a frigate and a snow (or some other smaller ship, sometimes two snows), but their main purpose is to serve as crew reserves in case the enemy decides to start graping. After all, AI rarely does anything useful in the fight but serve as a damage sponge or crew locker. Occasionally they will figure out how to shoot chain effectively or hit the hull enough to distract the enemy.

I also agree, Surprise's masts are PAPER thin man. If your opponent knows how to demast one, and is good at it, you are in trouble if you slip up.

(!) And thank you all for putting your gentlemen's hats back on and go back to civilised manners :)

Edited by koltes

1 hour ago, koltes said:

There are quite a few things that could be done about it. They all need testing and community work of course.
With Battle Instances open until battles are finished these things will help to reduce the gank fest as you know it today from previous experiences:

1. GPS needs to be removed. Pinpointing your location as well as location of the Battle Instance in the OW made it possible to easily find Instances and gank.
2. Instead Navigation Button introduced. Clicking this button will run 2 min timer after which it will show a large circle on the map of your approximate location, thus makes sailing more interesting and while you can't pinpoint anything with a meter precision you still can't get lost;
3. When player teleports to FREE PORT he has 15 minute no join timer. He may initiate any combat right away, but can't join battles for 15 minutes, thus stops people jumping into battles outside free towns right away, but this does not apply to areas like nation capitals. Teleport and help that newb outside no problems;
4. Sailing in regions needs to slow down to speed of Battle Instance. If you sail 9kn in instance then its the same 9 kn in OW on same POS. Because of distance compression it still will take you much faster to travel. Outside regions speed goes to what it was before (without 20% resent speed increase) and in deep waters to cross vast areas your speed doubles so you sail from KPR to Willemstad in 15-20 mins or from Mort to Kidd's in 20 mins sort of thing, thus lessen time sink for travel, but makes sailing around regions more realistic;
5. If you were within visual range when battle started you can join with no restrictions. You where there and see it happened. If you were outside visual distance than when you click on Join Battle button 2 things happen: 1). 5 minute timer starts before you can join; 2). Everybody inside gets the message that another ship is joining the battle and their name and ship is added to the TAB list as pending with showed timer. Thus gives people inside the instance clear understanding of what is going to happen and will allow them to make decisions. This in battle notification and timer also represents the fact that anyone sailing towards the battle would have been seen by everyone;
6. Main gank fest happens outside Free Ports, because people just sit in there and wait and call out their friends who also "fishing" outside other ports. So to tackle that Neutral Zone needs to be added to all Free Ports. The distance of the Zone is a visual range. If you left Free Port and you see someone start following you will be able to comeback to the port. This represents the historical fact that there were no fights in the Neutral harbours or around in the close proximity. Those who would initiate the fight would have been hunted by the entire Brotherhood and they would never be able to comeback

All this alone will make gank fest 500% less than what you knew when the battles were open before without proper mechanics.

I'm not so sure about points 1 and 2, (A friend of mine has pointed out however, maybe some visual references that would be easier to see and take an azimuth off of to allow some still-accurate navigation but with some human skill). Otherwise, I do really like those ideas. Perhaps a suggestion post is in order?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TXSailor said:

I'm not so sure about points 1 and 2, (A friend of mine has pointed out however, maybe some visual references that would be easier to see and take an azimuth off of to allow some still-accurate navigation but with some human skill). Otherwise, I do really like those ideas. Perhaps a suggestion post is in order?

1. and 2. is a start mate. Just want to make this as simple as possible to implement without any devs resources spent on it. This can be done in 30 mins coding. Later as proper OW sailing game it absolutely must have celestial navigation as well as bearing navigation. Totally agree

Otherwise, I do really like those ideas. Perhaps a suggestion post is in order?
Cheers! I will be making complete NA mechanics when they are finished. There is a lot to write and test still. Lots of work. Showing just partial wont work, because its hard to judge something without seeing the whole picture. But cheers man!

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, koltes said:

1. and 2. is a start mate. Just want to make this as simple as possible to implement without any devs resources spent on it. This can be done in 30 mins coding. Later as proper OW sailing game it absolutely must have celestial navigation as well as bearing navigation. Totally agree

Well sir, copy-paste to a suggestion topic and I will happily back it! How do we feel about slightly more stringent ROE as well? I know it DOES exist for 1v1 fights, as I've seen it there, but when there are more than one ship involved, there doesn't seem to be any restriction to a 5,000 vs 200 BR battle. 

Edited by TXSailor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXSailor said:

Well sir, copy-paste to a suggestion topic and I will happily back it! How do we feel about slightly more stringent ROE as well? I know it DOES exist for 1v1 fights, as I've seen it there, but when there are more than one ship involved, there doesn't seem to be any restriction to a 5,000 vs 200 BR battle. 

The whole thing is to keep it that way without giving tools for gank fest. As a solo hunter this is the risk I'm willing to take.

I truly believe that OW needs to stay non restricted. More so battles should be Free-For-All not just two sided and other can't join. This is all hard wired artificial mechanics that add more restrictions. Battle Instances in OW needs to be 50 ships limit (same as now) and anyone can join in. Players should have the right to decide who they want to attack in that battle instance like it would have happened in RL. Players can sort this out themselves and they don't need game ROE for that. This eliminates all this exploit issues when people join wrong sides and shoot friendlies. Players needs to be able to sort their national politics themselves in the OW. This creates whole lot of content. Players joined the battle and you will have to see and act in the battle and use your judgement to identify friends from foe. Just as it should be. Pirates joined the battle could take one side or another or turn on both and these 2 sides who fought each other might decide to unite against the new enemy. Possibilities are endless and all of them add thrill and variable non predictable gameplay. Today there are 2 sides and 75% of players on the server cant join them because of political ROE.

However there are people who still want to enjoy OW, sail solo and some how have fair fights (makes no sense to me, but hey everyone deserve a gameplay they like. Each to his own). I think this is where Conditional ROE needs to be introduced and explored further based on circumstances. The above mechanics that I have mentioned will already eliminate most of the ganking, but I also think that the Conquest is where stuff needs to become predictable. Yes those solo hunters don't like RvR, but conquest don't need to be linear liek we have now. PBs can and should vary in size and forms of fleet, thus making each PB interesting and different. this way people can fight in different setups. Why restrict battles to just shallows, 4th rate and 1st? Where are all other valuable ships? What about Surp, Frigates, 3rd and 2nd rates battles or combinations of the above? 
Also there should be mission based RvR activities. For example you picked hostility mission of certain BR (lets say up to 150). And you sail to it. When you have picked up that mission it also created another mission for players to defend. This brings people to one mission of equal BR. other missions could be opportunistic and pop up anywhere. You sail and all of a sudden there is a Wreck mission that is seen by everybody in the area. The mission will display BR limit. People sail in and join as two sided. Winners get to loot the wreck with some valuable and chance for BPs. This gives solo guy an opportunity to find those dynamic missions WHILE he is solo hunting. More so join other parties to make up the numbers.

Look there are so many good ideas if people would only really read them, they could make such a wonderful OW and RvR gameplay. Lots of people expressed those ideas many times. Its phrases like - "...I will not agree with anything but this..." makes the progress stop. No offence intended.

10 minutes ago, koltes said:

Players needs to be able to sort their national politics themselves in the OW. This creates whole lot of content. Players joined the battle and you will have to see and act in the battle and use your judgement to identify friends from foe. Just as it should be. Pirates joined the battle could take one side or another or turn on both and these 2 sides who fought each other might decide to unite against the new enemy. Possibilities are endless and all of them add thrill and variable non predictable gameplay. Today there are 2 sides and 75% of players on the server cant join them because of political ROE.

With the removal of alliances if a US player locates a battle consisting of a French vs a Dane wouldn't the US player be offered an option to join either side or would he not be allowed to join either side. My guess is that there would be an option to join either side (which could be REALLY entertaining if there was 2 US players and they made the mistake of splitting up with one joining French and the other joining the Dane)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Raekur said:

With the removal of alliances if a US player locates a battle consisting of a French vs a Dane wouldn't the US player be offered an option to join either side or would he not be allowed to join either side. My guess is that there would be an option to join either side (which could be REALLY entertaining if there was 2 US players and they made the mistake of splitting up with one joining French and the other joining the Dane)

What if group of US players wants to join the fight and take neither side but attack everyone there? With FFA approach they can still join sides inside the battle without hard coded restrictions. In fact if they joined initially to help one group and that group acted like douchebags then the US cold rethink and change their mind and help the other side or again attack both.

Edited by koltes