Game-Labs Forum

The other way to improve your fps: Overclocking

Captain Jean-Luc Picard

A note from the Moderation Team: Overclocking incorrectly can cause expensive and irreversible damage to your computer.  The following advise is from a player and is not in any way sanctioned or condoned by Game Labs - proceed at your own risk. - H. Darby

I have noticed a few threads both here and in some nations about improving the fps,

just a reminder that besides/instead of disabling some settings, such as AA,

you can also Overclock your graphic

The steps depend on the card so i cannot do a step by step guide, but google is your friend.

Essentialy you change some settings on your graphic card, thus making it better, while trying to keep the card stable ( even 2 identical cards can have varied stability, so that no 2 cards ever overclock quiete the same way ), and of course you need to watch the temperatures., there are several different free programs that can do this, and a good case with good airflow makes a huge difference as well ( and please clean your components very regularly with an air spray ).

As a rule of thumb for gaming the graphic card should always be the most expensive part of your rig,

If you buy a graphic card in the future besides the usual check also how much you can overclock it.

Overclocking a middle-range card is cheaper and gives your afterwards a better performance than buying some more expensive cards that you cannot overclock as much.

So google search how to overclock your graphic card.

Overclocking CAN damage your card if you do it wrong, so just be sure to take it easy, baby steps to avoid going too far.

You can overclock BOTH your CPU and your grahic card

Hope it helps some of you.

Posting this here as a quick reference to link to and for relevant discussion rather than answering present and future individual threads about fps again and again.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby

well there are some things i should mention here.

Overclocking a middle-range card is cheaper and gives your afterwards a better performance than buying some more expensive cards that you cannot overclock as much.

Well, if they are two cards from the same series, say a 1060 and a 1080, they should overclock just as well assuming good cooling and power delivery(which is 90% of the time the case). So this statement is not exactly true, same holds for rx 470 vs 480. the 480 will overclock just as well as such, 480 will have the better performance when overclocked, however an overclocked 470 can hit the performance of a stock(non overclocked) 480

Another thing to be weary of is if you are going to overclock properly, it is a time consuming process and overclocking scales linearly for the GPU, so a 10% increase in GPU clock speed means a 10% increase in FPS, so if you getting 20FPS in naval action and you overclock by 10%, you getting 22FPS now. So if you have a low end build, consider upgrading.

When overclocking, be weary that the GPU and CPU(if you overclock this as well) will draw more power, so make sure your PSU can handle this, you dont want to overclock if you have a cheap shitty power supply or one that comes with PCs like HP and Dells

Lastly, DONT overclock your laptop unless you know what you are doing, laptops are very power and heat limited and it can cause major problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OlavDeng2 said:

Lastly, DONT overclock your laptop unless you know what you are doing, laptops are very power and heat limited and it can cause major problems.

Yes, I managed to burn my desk with my mobile workstation when I overclocked (Dell M6400).  The heat was significant...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

doesn't that accumulate dust by having seriously positive air pressure?

Isn't there any risk of electrostatic crap going on by using a carpet blower?

I have an entoo pro case with a 200mm intake and a 140 exhaust, plus a cryorig r1 ultimate made of 140s on the cpu, i can game at 38 degrees celcius under load on average, works like a charm and i could never go back to a case that does not have a 200mm intake.

12 minutes ago, Henry d'Esterre Darby said:

Funnily enough, I used to cool my gaming desktop by taking off the side and directing the airflow from a ducted carpet blower into the open case.  Worked amazingly well. :) 

When I had to put my old laptop on trays of ice out of the freezer to play PotBS I knew I needed a new computer.

I replaced my Graphics Card a few days ago...went from a EVGA Nvidia GeForce 750Ti to a XFX Radeon RX470.  With the 750 Ti will full settings in-game I was around 18-20 FPS in battle, and 25-30 FPS during OW.  With the XFX, my performance took a nice boost in the right direction!  On full settings in-game during battle I'm hitting around 38-50 FPS and around 50-65 FPS in Open world.  

The Nividia had 2GB Ram @ 128.0 bit Memory Interface and the XFX is 4GB Ram @ 256.0 bit Memory Interface.  (Don't overlook your memory interface...try to install a card with the highest interface possible that your system will support...and that you can afford.  Will help greatly with "Bottle Necking"

Note: The graphics with the GeForce 750 Ti are slower...but were smoother as with all Nvidia type cards...the ATI is rougher but not by much...would never really notice without a trained eye. 

Simply put, I'm happy with it...I could over-clock the card but NA and all my other games are running fine with the factory settings.  Once NA is optimized I will look at it again for OC or possibly Cross Fire in they end up supporting that feature! 

19 hours ago, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

I have an entoo pro case with a 200mm intake and a 140 exhaust, plus a cryorig r1 ultimate made of 140s on the cpu, i can game at 38 degrees celcius under load on average, works like a charm and i could never go back to a case that does not have a 200mm intake.

Everything accumulates dust, even with little 120mm fans you have to use air to clean up dust from the inside of your case.

This is the cheapest way to cool your system during winter time. 1x120mm fan and Dryer Duct. You can put some foam filter on the duct from the outside. I heard it works great. 

outside-air-cooled-pc-e1294681843791.jpg

This one is just for lol

CIMG0440.jpg

Edited by Ned Loe

20 hours ago, Ned Loe said:

Only if they overheat, so try this::D

2552b288712bf166cc148ac01c4c9008.jpg

Actually wrong, I have a custom loop so my Graphics card runs at about 40C, if i push the clocks too far( i usually run it at 1040 but it will do 1080 if i push it, at 1090MHz it will usually artifact, even at 40C, and that is a r9 nano where the GPU it self should be good up to at about 90C). AMD chips do tend to be more temp sensative than NVidia chips, and NVidia chips not sensative at all, you will get the same overclocks on a gtx 1080 whether it is running at 30C or at 80C generally, not the case with AMD.

34 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

Everything accumulates dust, even with little 120mm fans you have to use air to clean up dust from the inside of your case.

This is the cheapest way to cool your system during winter time. 1x120mm fan and Dryer Duct. You can put some foam filter on the duct from the outside. I heard it works great. 

outside-air-cooled-pc-e1294681843791.jpg

This one is just for lol

CIMG0440.jpg

Thats what air filters are for, you have positive air pressure so that Air doesnt get forced in through little cracks that arent filtered(and by extension dust), and you just clean the filters regularly, best way to avoid dust in your case.

14 hours ago, Smiling Jack said:

Simply put, I'm happy with it...I could over-clock the card but NA and all my other games are running fine with the factory settings.  Once NA is optimized I will look at it again for OC or possibly Cross Fire in they end up supporting that feature! 

Speaking from personall experiance, i highly reccomend against crossfire and SLI, they are power hungry, have poor scaling, is expensive and has poor support sometimes having games simply run weird or not at all with it enabled or sometimes(as in NA) not using the 2nd card at all

• Like 1

22 hours ago, OlavDeng2 said:

Speaking from personall experiance, i highly reccomend against crossfire and SLI, they are power hungry, have poor scaling, is expensive and has poor support sometimes having games simply run weird or not at all with it enabled or sometimes(as in NA) not using the 2nd card at all

I had considered SLI at one time, but after some research and asking questions/advice on Tom's Hardware website (great site for everything PC related and more), the consensus is a more powerful single GPU is often times better than 2 lower end GPU's. Plus, not all games are SLI ready.

On 4/7/2017 at 11:49 AM, Captain Jean-Luc Picard said:

Didn't seem to cause any major problems.  The dust wasn't any worse than my other, closed boxes that I could see.  Not saying it's totally safe, but it worked for about a year and a half with no failures.