Game-Labs Forum

So, I was wondering... What's next?

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 2:03 AM, vren55 said:

Another possible conflict would be the 30 Years War or any of the European Religious conflicts, which feature primarily mercenary units fighting each other, allowing for excellent customization options, choosing melee, musketry or cavalry.

The problem is nobody knows about those wars :P

A Napoleonic game honestly might be better... following let's say Napoleon's or Wellington's career. Less customization of weapons options, but enough customization of army to keep things very interesting. In fact, you could even add the option to choose the men and horse in your army, eg. Sepoys versus Europeans. Do you bring over your experienced indian soldiers or use europeans?

Lots of interest in the tabletop community in the ECW/TYW or Wars of Religion. Plus "Pike & Shot Campaigns" covered the tactical aspects quite well at the regimental level:

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=583

In the end though the numbers favor the Napoleonic wars. Certainly tackling a period not to far removed from the ACW would suit the game engine and maybe decrease development time. You hit the nail on head for the Napoleonic era though, whilst you don't have 15 different types of muskets, you do have a variety of unit types, cuirassier, lancers, dragoons, hussars, light infantry, rifle infantry, grenadiers, line infantry, sappers, guard, horse artillery, etc. Of course there's the uniforms...

• Like 3

Napoleon, please! 

Huge number of battles for historical scenarios and campaign to draw upon. Plenty of literature to work off of. Probably increased market interest from the European community. 

Also the next natural step seems to be to introduce more factions that play with an even wider variety of army compositions and subsequent playstyles. Picture it- Russia is like the current Union with very large economy but poor soldiers. France is the most balanced/generalist with very good leaders. Prussia gives highly trained troops that are very expensive. etc. 

Also the current in-battle mechanics seem to favor an easy transition to Napoleonic tactics- lower rates of firearms damage and a lot of melee. 

On 3/30/2017 at 1:31 PM, DeRuyter said:

Lots of interest in the tabletop community in the ECW/TYW or Wars of Religion. Plus "Pike & Shot Campaigns" covered the tactical aspects quite well at the regimental level:

Didn't know about that... but yeah numbers do favor Napoleon :P.

On 3/30/2017 at 1:31 PM, DeRuyter said:

In the end though the numbers favor the Napoleonic wars. Certainly tackling a period not to far removed from the ACW would suit the game engine and maybe decrease development time. You hit the nail on head for the Napoleonic era though, whilst you don't have 15 different types of muskets, you do have a variety of unit types, cuirassier, lancers, dragoons, hussars, light infantry, rifle infantry, grenadiers, line infantry, sappers, guard, horse artillery, etc. Of course there's the uniforms...

eeyup. More importantly, they can definitely apply the Unit Exp and Officer system to Napoleon. ... It's also possible that uniforms can be configured to give a morale/equipment buff of some kind... eg. Old Guard uniform can inspire fear. Coldstream Guard uniform adds X morale points. 

On 03/04/2017 at 0:47 AM, Mr. Mercanto said:

Well I'm just going to go ahead and say that I want the next Ultimate General game to stick with the Civil War. It doesn't come up much, but I have a small interest in the period...

Except if they make a brand new game, I don't see what more they could do on the tactical level. On the strategic level it's different in that they could do a real campaign game where the campaign play dictates what battle happens with what troops, ie the current tactical game would be "generated" by a dynamic campaign game. But that would be massively different though !

On 01/04/2017 at 6:21 AM, Wright29 said:

Also the next natural step seems to be to introduce more factions that play with an even wider variety of army compositions and subsequent playstyles. Picture it- Russia is like the current Union with very large economy but poor soldiers. France is the most balanced/generalist with very good leaders. Prussia gives highly trained troops that are very expensive. etc. 

To be honest (and a bit patriotic) French armies of the time were dominant in almost every field (a short lived advantage however). Infantry units were full of veterans trained in the revolutionary wars, artillery had benefited from substantial technological breakthroughs in the 1780's and Napoleon revolutionized the cavalry by massing them in large divisions, giving them a huge tactical superiority against their european counterparts. Even the mighty prussians couldn't do much against it (look up the battle of Auerstaedt for more hindsight on the matter). 

• Like 1

I would love to see an American Revolution of this game. Something about those red coats in lined infantry marching to drum and fife takes me to a place where I feel like I'm actually there!

Of course I would command the Continentall Army. 'Merica. 

• Like 3

On 4/4/2017 at 1:50 PM, A. P. Hill said:

Let's not forget about the war for Texas, and the ensuing Mexican - American war!  Many of our current commanders had a hand in that bit of history. 

Ultimate General Civil War: The Early Years!

But really, it would be kind of fun as a prequel. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Talking a bout a UG - Napoleonic wars, what I would really like to play is the 96-97 italian campaign, with the lean demi-brigades, the key tactical decisions, many exciting battles with lean and nimble armies of 20 000 to 30 000 men, cavalry and preciously limited arty man must make the best use of.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2017 at 9:55 AM, Fred Sanford said:

I'd like to see a land-based "Rule the Waves" (RTW).  If you're not familiar with RTW, it's a dreadnought-era naval game where you design your own ships (you play as the Admiral-in-chief), research technologies, and have to be prepared to fight other powers- you have a little influence on foreign affairs but most is out of you hands.  When war comes, the game is basically a scenario generator for tactical naval battles. (Disclosure: I beta-tested RTW).

Using this as an analog, I'd like to see a game where the player chooses a nation and has a budget to organize, arm, and staff his army.  Sort of an uber-camp, played in say quarterly or annual turns in peacetime, and running throughout the 19th century or a portion thereof.  There'd be a map of the globe (or maybe stick to Europe) with zones or territories to deploy your army in.  Wars could come at any time, and when it does, the game generates scenarios for you to do battle in.  

On 4/4/2017 at 3:49 PM, Fred Sanford said:

This guy has some good ideas.