Game-Labs Forum

How to prevent the peaceful coexistence between PVE and PVP players on the same server

I'm hoping this thread can stay constructive. Please don't bother to use this as a place to whine about how much you hate the idea of a PVE zone in the Gulf coexisting on the same server as PVP. Unless the Devs change their minds, it's going to happen and unless there are things we don't know about its implementation, it is going to cause some pain points. Hopefully we as a community of PVP and PVEers can make some constructive suggestions about how to minimize these pain points. @admin if there is something we just don't understand about implementation, please clarify.

BTW, I'm not saying I like all these "solutions" but I'm putting them out there for discussion. Community, please add pain points you see and possible solutions as well,

Pain Point:

Admin has indicated that players will be able to freely move between PVP and PVE. Also free ports will not exist in PVE zone. Still, assuming all resources can be obtained in the PVE zone, ship construction and resource accumulation can be accomplished in relative safety either by PVP players in the PVE zone or by ALTS specifically created for the purpose.

Possible full or partial solutions:

1. Disable the ability to have ALTS or at least make it a huge pain to switch back and forth between characters. While I like this idea, I doubt it would get any traction.

2. Disble the ability to teleport characters and/or tow ships between the two zones.

3. Make some classes of ships or necessary mats not craftable in PVE zone. 

4. Sink 'em as they come out. While it may sound like ithe border will be a target rich environment, the (roughly) north-south boundary between zones covers a lot of ocean. Solution: Choke points. For example in order to change your status from PVE to PVP you have to visit a friendly port in the PVP zone in order to "obtain your orders" or whatever we want to call it. Making folks exit the PVE zone through the straight of Florida might be another idea.

What other problems do you see and how might they be solved?

Edited by Farrago

Well with merge either pvp trading / hunting is dead, or full pve players cant craft. I vote for 2nd option of course, and i certainly don't want to punish pve players, but probably a good chunk of them will love the thrill of moving a valuable cargo with a real risk involved from times to times. More immersion !

Edited by Zooloo

1 hour ago, Liquicity said:

How exactly do you plan to forbid players to buy the game on another steam account again

I don't. If the ability to use an ALT is worth that much to you, hey, thanks for investing more in the development of our game. What I would like is if Devs could prevent transactions between the same IP so that it would at least be a challenge for one to cheat using an ALT. (Multiple family members playing the game surely could be dealt with by tech support.)

i apologize if there is another reason one might want an ALT. You may want it so that you can actively play two characters however in my opinion if those characters ever need to interact, even through a 3rd party, then it's a damage to the game mechanics.

But that's not what this thread is about. 

14 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

Just buy yourself an alt and stop whining.

Not whining. I know there are many players who either enjoy or feel they need for a special advantage over someone who plays within the game design and/or rules. But I don't have to like it and it's okay for me to wish that the practice was curbed. You know, you might try crafting and trading within the confines of the game and see if you are still successful. Challenge can be fun!

all of these ideas are very bad for player freedom and long term game enjoyment. The devs are going the right direction right now.

we have a vast, beautiful open ocean world to sail and mingle with other players, trying to box players into zones or categories of play will do more to turn people off than turn them on "long term"

in a sandbox mmo you have to learn to adapt, you cannot try and get devs to force other players into boxes of play so you can play how you want. well you can try but its just bad for the game imho.

• Like 3

(Sigh) okay. No one else sees any complications??? How do I delete a thread?

i wasn't trying to box anyone in to anything except following some sensible rules. The game isn't being designed for you to have access to 5000 labor hours per day because you have multiple ALTS. It has a negative impact on game economics. That negative impact will be compounded if all risk is removed. But hey. Let's all have fun. The announced changes sound really good.

Edited by Farrago

6 hours ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

If the game succeeds, max players per server limit can cause issues.

It really shouldn't be a big problem.  If we get thousands of players active again we could create more servers.

Farrago,  

I'm not sure why you would want to prevent the peaceful coexistence of PvP and PvE players on the same server.  I envision that there may be about 400 players on the servers about 50 or so seeking PvE (Average numbers).  The 350 PvP players can fight among themselves and the 50 PvEers can seek enjoyment doing other things.   Sounds like an okay arrangement.  The alternative is to force the 50 PvPers into a style of game play they don't like and they will probably quit.  If you remove the opportunity for a peaceful coexistance you will likely be left with 350 PvP players alone on the servers, the PvPers will be gone.

Rebel Witch has it correct.  Boxing people into PvP style when they prefer to enjoy the game differently will likely fail.  Removing the fun people have with PvE doesn't guarantee they will hold their noses and stay to battle the PvP players.

My thread title was a joke about the irony of how we are trying to civilly (peacefully) set up war. I apologize for my failure to communicate clearly.

I would never want to force PVEers to PVP or force PVPers to PVE. In fact, I think it's a shame there is not a richer experience for each group and hope with increased numbers, both "needs" can be met. I'm not sure how this thread got interpreted that I was trying to box players in. Just the opposite. I'm trying to figure out how to keep the PVE mechanics and economy from adversely affecting the PVP world and how to keep the PVP players from aggressively destroying the fun the PVEers have in a more solitary game.

Anyway, fair winds to us all.