Game-Labs Forum

Important news: First full asset wipe & Exclusive early access frigate.

5 minutes ago, Willis PVP2 said:

Now, not to beg...but...before the wipe, can you please give out the Santa Cecilia BP to all players?

Players on PVP2 never had a chance of getting Santa Cecilia BP and now when PVP1 and PVP2 will be playing on the same server the BP either needs to be removed from the game all together or become obtainable like the rest of rare BPs

Edited by koltes

Btw, everyone should take note of the key word "First" in "First asset wipe".   Basically it sounds like they're planning for more asset wipes down the road. 

So what's the point of trading and crafting anymore if everything is going to keep getting blown out?   Some of us like our "empire building" but if it's just getting wiped every 6 months what's the point?

I still contend that radical changes every six months is not a good way to develop software.  It should be done incrementally with small changes that allow the product to evolve towards release.  Instead, these big changes will introduce new problems, requiring new patches and more reworking.  There will be players that will definitely be looking for ways to exploit any new game mechanics, looking for ways to cheat, which will lead to more radical new changes for the game.  Over and over again.

Instead of evolving the game towards release I feel like the game is just spinning its tires in the mud and will stay forever in "early access".

Edited by blakdog
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, blakdog said:

Btw, everyone should take note of the key word "First" in "First asset wipe".   Basically it sounds like they're planning for more asset wipes down the road. 

So what's the point of trading and crafting anymore if everything is going to keep getting blown out?   Some of us like our "empire building" but if it's just getting wiped every 6 months what's the point?

I still contend that radical changes every six months is not a good way to develop software.  It should be done incrementally with small changes that allow the product to evolve towards release.  Instead, these big changes will introduce new problems, requiring new patches and more reworking.  There will be players that will definitely be looking for ways to exploit any new game mechanics, looking for ways to cheat, which will lead to more radical new changes for the game.  Over and over again.

Instead of evolving the game towards release I feel like the game is just spinning its tires in the mud and will stay forever in "early access".

The devs have mentioned the possibility of multiple wipes of various types since the beginning. With at least 1 final wipe of all assets ( excluding rank and crafting XP) before release.

Why are so many shocked at this prospect, did you not realize what you bought into?

11 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

Why are so many shocked at this prospect, did you not realize what you bought into?

Humans.

Players realize they don´t want to do it over and over again.

Many state it "I want the old days back".

Fresh start? Not possible, life carries on.

Old players go, new players join.

You cannot experience the "new" twice....

That´s why players are shocked.

Many realize their "glory" days are coming to an end...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sruPL said:

Next question that comes to my mind - what will be the location of Global server? Considering the fact that it should decent enough for Americans and Australians to be playable at all. Network optimizations, new server location other than Germany most likely, connection improvements etc.

This is a very good and important question lads and lassies... being in the Southwestern United States the last thing I want to see is a "Ping" reading of a 1000...!  And hopefully we will see some updates/improvements on the connection side of  the world.

26 minutes ago, blakdog said:

So what's the point of trading and crafting anymore if everything is going to keep getting blown out?  

In my opinion, the point is to root out bugs and glitches and fix them. Find out what works and what doesn't. That's the whole point of participating in an early access. Most games I participated in in early access had one or more wipes.

Thumbs up!! Ditto to all the positive comments!!

For those who are upset about putting a lot of time into the game as I have to achieve your current status - I had a good time doing it and look forward to more good times ahead - " Laissez les bons temps rouler"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blakdog said:

If you're going to do a big server reset, there's something I'd like to address.  This game advertises itself as a "tall ship combat" game and there are many new players that would love to try getting into a square-rigger and firing off broadsides at an enemy.

The problem is that new players start the game and the best they can use is the highly volatile and difficult to sail basic cutter.

I'd like to recommend some provision be made to allow first time players to immediately be able to sail some kind of a square-rigger; even a small one.  Just so that they can get that delivery on what the game advertises.... tall-ships combat.

Put this is suggestions (I have) starting off in a mad assed, bobbing around pile of pants like the cutter is such a dissensetive to a nooblet. Give em a steadier ship.

• Like 3

Devs & Captains,

I am ecstatic at this news. We are testers. After the scrub we can all start fresh and do our jobs of finding bugs and testing new ideas without the garbage that has built up over time. I am looking forward to it.

To those that are so upset about the up and coming wipe, I tell you. I have over 1000 hours in this game and play all 3 servers (each having it's own flavor) through all the ups and downs, the good and the bad. I have seldom had so much fun. Testing is HARD on those doing it. If we don't try EVERYTHING and break the game at times, the devs can't fix it and it will never be any good. I suggest you go on to something else and come back when it is done.

In the meantime I'll keep on playing and see what comes up next.

Thanks devs and Captains (testers) for a wonderful time. 

• Like 1

I don't know why some are assuming blueprints will be wiped; the devs have already said that the blueprint rework is coming a bit later. They will want us to be building ships, consuming resources after the wipe to begin the economy testing. If they wanted to test all over again the aquisition of blueprints they would wipe everyones craft xp level and that's not happening; they have enough data on that side already i'm sure. What they want is meaningful data on the economy from scratch, ie no gold/resources or mats for everyone. Thus personally I'm not expecting blueprints to be wiped. When the devs say "assets" i'm pretty sure they mean gold(cash), resources and mats; along with ships and upgrades. But clarification from the devs exactly what they mean by "assets" would be nice!

Edited by PaladinFX
  • Like 1

Since many seem to be asking for things, here's my request:

i don't want to screw other time zones on the new Global Server but if a daily maintenance shut down is going to be required, I would love it to be an hour later.  Midnight to 1am is a feasible play time in California.

6 hours ago, Willis PVP2 said:

Patch sounds good, a wipe is fine with me, good to test with. Happy rank XP is not being wiped. One thing, what about outposts we have, will we keep those?

Now, not to beg...but...before the wipe, can you please give out the Santa Cecilia BP to all players? Or at least give us a redeembable one to play with? You rarely hear of people who have and sail them regularly, and many of us on PVP2, even the old timers, haven't sailed one or even seen one in a long time. I'd absolutely love to get to sail one. I'll take mine Bermuda Cedar Speed Pirate Refit, please and thank you. 

GIVE ME A SANTA CECILIA! please :)

I would just be happy with a redeemable one to goof around with the next few weeks.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, woodenfish said:

So as far as I see, scanning through this thread the questions remain:

Will the map be reset on the new pvp global and pvp EU server?

Will current Clans/player names still exist?

Clan tag and player names will prob be gone.  I think it's goign to be delete of all chars. Than log in and make new chars and every one gets the same dredeemables.  Just your rank and crafting level is saved.

5 hours ago, Farrago said:

Since many seem to be asking for things, here's my request:

i don't want to screw other time zones on the new Global Server but if a daily maintenance shut down is going to be required, I would love it to be an hour later.  Midnight to 1am is a feasible play time in California.

Bit ouchie for us Aussies, shutdown is already 6pm to 7pm, This pushes back any PB's (in our dreams) also means first PvP event is 10.30 !!

3 hours ago, Remus said:

What is needed is a tutorial.

As things stand it doesn't take long for a player to get the money and xp buy and crew a brig or snow (the money side may change of course, particularly as it seems NPCs will stop selling ships), but new players struggle to know how to start. Offering a square-rigged ship tutorial to new players, using a loan ship and crew - it could even be offered as a free demo to get new people buying the game - would help enormously. I also recommend a fore-and-aft-rigged  / finding and boarding a trader tutorial as well, as this is how new players need to start their grind.

I have heard there are some dodgy old Youtube channels with all this and more (looks down at sig) :)

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jeheil said:

Bit ouchie for us Aussies, shutdown is already 6pm to 7pm, This pushes back any PB's (in our dreams) also means first PvP event is 10.30 !!

I would think if anything it can prob stay.  Yah I know it screws ya'll or move it up an hour or two.  That still alows the west coast guys some play time in the US during US prime time, but any thing the dang lock out has to be fixed to let us have port battle sup to 2 hours before server down time. WHich means we can get 100% up to that time and it flips it 46 hours from than.  Or that can just remove the 46 and make it 48.  We hate that 2 hour thing cause you have to actually grind it way later than you plan to have the port battle to have it at a decent time.  What part of Aus is that 6-7?   I think moving it back one hour or two would prob put it in the best window for a global server.

12 hours ago, koltes said:

Those are good and bad news.

People wanting the wipe mostly selfishly due to lack of gameplay and disbalance between nation powers. I understand that and also support wipe idea. However think that it came too early.

The conquest have not been done and sealed yet and to make regions (that have impact on the economy) protected or vulnerable we need proper conquest.

PBs are not done yet. I hope with all my heart that they are not going to stay as they are.

Economy... well there is NO economy in the game apart from disbalanced prices on materials vs crafting vs ship costs and NPC goods hauling from A to B.

On top of that we dont have crafting mechanics done too and those should also be a big part of economy.

Is there balanced Supply vs Demand? Also no.

So what are we really testing apart from giving people a fresh start again? Yeah ok lets start over, but there will be nothing new in the results. 

So what does this mean? Expect another test wipe after they realize that the this one came a bit too soon.

Interesting point of view.

How about making the global server based US west coast and set its downtime at 0700 PST.

This would be  a good time for US players, and would be very late at night for Oceanic and East Asian players.  This would mess up my getting in a bit of sailing after work, but I believe would remove the RVR restrictions for the largest sector of players.

Before anyone gets annoyed this would mimic the Euro server downtime which happens after breakfast in Europe.

Edited by Atreides

36 minutes ago, Atreides said:

How about making the global server based US west coast and set its downtime at 0700 PST.

This would be  a good time for US players, and would be very late at night for Oceanic and East Asian players.  This would mess up my getting in a bit of sailing after work, but I believe would remove the RVR restrictions for the largest sector of players.

Before anyone gets annoyed this would mimic the Euro server downtime which happens after breakfast in Europe.

Wouldn't it actually cut right into the east asian players? Beijing time that's 22:00, and a full clan of them are running the Danes on PvP2 at the moment. And at 5pm it cuts dangerously close to Moscow, let alone anyone who lives east of it.

Edited by Guest
Wrote Peking instead of Beijing, damn you Hearts of Iron 4

2 minutes ago, Aegir said:

Wouldn't it actually cut right into the east asian players? Beijing time that's 22:00, and a full clan of them are running the Danes on PvP2 at the moment. And at 5pm it cuts dangerously close to Moscow, let alone anyone who lives east of it.

Was going to post on that.  To be honest I think the current time isn't actually bad as most games do there down time around 2am CST (my time 8am UTC).   They just need to move the lock out window to allow us to have port battle up to 2 hours before down time and than move the start of new port battles to happen after update time is over.