Game-Labs Forum

Server "Europe" and Server "Global"

Jonathan Arlington

Question

I have a few very important questions about the "new servers"

Where will the Server "Global" be hosted? Will it be in the U.S. so my Ping will be like 200 making the game unplayable in Europe anyway?

Will the "server-timezone" be the same at "Europe" and "Global" or will there be different timezones on the two servers? And if the time zones will be different, will the timezone on "Global" bring me to the point that me as an European player will be the night flipper and outsourced from all activities like the US-player base now does?

Or to bring it to the point. Would you please bring the facts to a point so we would have even a chance to decide where to play in future? Without the announcing of the French Council to change to an European server me personal would even now know nothing about even the plan of the devs to do so. That is a really big lack of information in my opinion....

• Like 2

20 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Isn't that like good ping for most of the SEA players on the US server?   I mean I thought ping doesn't matter?  Now we are going to start seeing folks bitch about it if the server is in the US and they have to play with the same ping every one else that wasn't EU has to have.   US for a global server is more fair for SEA/AUS players and gives a more rounded spot for most players including the EU.  

What the ... I do not "bitch" around I just want to hear the facts so I can decide what I prefer for myself. So stop with that BS dude.  Anyway all the answers about if and how the game is playable with which ping rate is all but not helpful. Gosh ...

• Like 2

I play with a ping average of 220ms and I can play without any problem.

If you wanna test how could be, start to download any "heavy" torrent with 80% of your internet bandwidth :-)

On 22.3.2017 at 10:17 PM, Jonathan Arlington said:

I have a few very important questions about the "new servers"

Where will the Server "Global" be hosted? Will it be in the U.S. so my Ping will be like 200 making the game unplayable in Europe anyway?

Will the "server-timezone" be the same at "Europe" and "Global" or will there be different timezones on the two servers? And if the time zones will be different, will the timezone on "Global" bring me to the point that me as an European player will be the night flipper and outsourced from all activities like the US-player base now does?

Or to bring it to the point. Would you please bring the facts to a point so we would have even a chance to decide where to play in future? Without the announcing of the French Council to change to an European server me personal would even now know nothing about even the plan of the devs to do so. That is a really big lack of information in my opinion....

Ping is not the main influence on GLOBAL, it is the 24/7 possible conquest.

If you want to play that, play on GLOBAL, if not, join EU server :)

• Like 1

On 3/22/2017 at 10:45 PM, Jonathan Arlington said:

What the ... I do not "bitch" around I just want to hear the facts so I can decide what I prefer for myself. So stop with that BS dude.  Anyway all the answers about if and how the game is playable with which ping rate is all but not helpful. Gosh ...

You'll have to endure it, the standard response to each and every topic about this matter is to refer to everything as whining and bitching by automation it seems.

1.Seems extremely likely that it will be hosted in the US.

2.No idea, only played with good ping thus far and will continue to do so.

3. No idea.

4. Given how many US players are streaming in from PvP2 and how more euro players might flock to the other server once they get to experience what off-time RvR and flipping feels like, it's definitely a possible outcome. Maybe it depends on whether the GB + Dutch will refuse to fight eachother (deja vu anyone? :P).

5. Depends on whether you have an interest in RvR and whether you mostly play around EU primetime or more often at odd hours. If you're playing together with other Germans I believe that there was some kind of meeting that was held that might give you an idea of where people are going, check out the German subforum.

Edited by Guest

it would be nice to know lock out timers for each server.

I believe they said EU would have a 10 hour lock out and the Global would stay the same. However they didn't talk about what time the lock outs would take place. 

The Global server timers will need to be adjusted to allow US and AUS players join PBs during their prime time.  

Edited by Daguse

Just regarding your comment that 200 ping is unplayable: 

Since the game was released on steam I have lived both on the east coast of the US and in Europe, and have played on both PVP1 and PVP2, so I've experienced pings from 50 to 900.  I personally found that stern raking at 300 ping was manageable, once you got used to it, because it's fairly predictable when you have to fire. Lower pings were obviously easier, and at about 900 the game was basically unplayable in smaller ships (at my skill level anyway).

15 hours ago, Daguse said:

it would be nice to know lock out timers for each server.

I believe they said EU would have a 10 hour lock out and the Global would stay the same. However they didn't talk about what time the lock outs would take place. 

The Global server timers will need to be adjusted to allow US and AUS players join PBs during their prime time.  

On 3/24/2017 at 5:26 PM, admin said:

ignore the timers for some time. We plan to move the maintenance for both servers (it must be at the same time) to give more options to US prime time based on the 1 year of online data and prime times

As for what the new time will be, who knows. Sucks that it has to be at the same time for both servers.

It is very simple, make PB lock out time 1800-2200 current server time for PVP Global to allow for maintenance and update patching, and make it take place after the patch is deployed to PVP EU, to mitigate any issues the patch may have caused.

I for one would love the Global server to be West Coast USA, because that would mean good ping for American players, almost decent ping for Aussies, and decent ping for Europeans who choose to play on Global.

Having the global server lock out timer stay the same would go a long way towards further alienating the very people PVP Global was set up for.  I don't think the devs will do this, it would be counterproductive to the game.

Edited by Atreides

On 19/04/2017 at 7:29 AM, Jeheil said:

....and will they be 'named' global and euro...so I don't herpa derp and end up with the wrong mob !!

Oh and 220 ping...I dream a dream

lol we know you have a ping rate of about 30 ...you only use the high ping rate excuse for poor shooting :ph34r:

• Like 1

Ping on the US west coast is low, 150 and lower, half that in some east coast locations. As long as you are not over 300 you will see no difference in a game like NA. Only the Aussies have ping issues. This has been true since 2014, in fact ping is lower overall now than then and there were no issues then. 

The 'global' server will be the North American players, they will be forced onto this server by the port timers of the EU server, unless they don't care about RVR. So the 'global' server will have a few hundred players, 50% will play as the US and 49% as pirates and 1% as the remaining nations. It will have daily numbers similar to what we have now in no time.

Then many of the players will migrate to the EU server just to have pvp, but will have to be pirates because of the timers on ports (unless they stay up all night).

The whole thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

All because port battles have become the focus of Naval Action. Naval Action should be about open sea action, not port battles, but that's what it has become.

Solution? One global pvp server for everyone, port battles only on weekends and with a 12 hour free for all window, all time zones can get in, most points wins. (I'd even prefer one weekend a month.)

The rest of the time will be a high population server with lots of pvp.

Northern Wolves has identified the issue. I live in the Far East and have always had dreadful pings but the game is playable. However, until final release when we hopefully will have vastly increased numbers, its more about not splitting the player base and retaining numbers. At present we barely have enough players to make the game entertaining. Add to this (potentially) no teleporting and a host of other features that will slow the game down further, and I am more concerned that we will lose the remaining player base. It does not matter to me which server I play on and the timing of port battles and dominating the map. What does matter is that I wont spend hours waiting for action whilst being forced to endlessly fight AI just to keep busy and rank up (again). So whereas a server split may make sense at some future time, at present, its just going to cripple the game. Just look at the numbers that have dropped out. Many of these people (I know) had several 1000s of hours game play under their belts and loved the game. So its not about burn out or tiring and switching to new games. Its about lack of incentive to keep logging in.

On 4/18/2017 at 1:34 AM, Blackjack Morgan said:

living in US and always playing on the EU servers never made much of a difference for me. If this was a FPS it would but never really an issue in NA. The ping usually was always stable so you get used to the extremely small delay when raking. It really isn't an issue in my opinion.

If Blackjack Morgan can do it, so can you.

Isn't that like good ping for most of the SEA players on the US server?   I mean I thought ping doesn't matter?  Now we are going to start seeing folks bitch about it if the server is in the US and they have to play with the same ping every one else that wasn't EU has to have.   US for a global server is more fair for SEA/AUS players and gives a more rounded spot for most players including the EU.  

My issue is never the ping as I can play with the high ping on EU, it's the stupid lag spikes where it goes up to 400-600 out of the blue or worse.   I don't get spikes that that on other EU games.  Hell the Danes on PvP2 that are SEA players play with pings around the 400-600 range for the guys that have to play through the china firewall.   Now those poor guys can't play on EU cause the ping is just so out of the roof for them there.

As for the other question for a global server you should be able to play any time and there is no such thing as night flips.  War happens at any hour.   Can't field that port battle time than come back later and attack it and take it in your prime player time.   

Where did I undermine your point of view? Senceless ... can be closed ... I wanted some facts from the devs about the server change because in my opinion this is a lack of information. If this leads to a disussion about fair and unfair pings and if someone is bitching or not it's senceless...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonathan Arlington said:

A little touche man?  I said folks, I never said you are bitching.  You will all ways have those type of folks that want to complain.  Man take a chill pill the comment had nothing to do with you.

As for if the game is playable I started on PvP1.  I moved to PvP2 when they split the PvP into Mirror.  So I have played on both servers with good and bad ping.  So yes it's helpful as we are saying what you can and can't do cause of what we have done.   How about this...if your going to have that attitude maybe you should just stay over on the EU server?  Negging every one cause they don't have the same view as you is very immature.

10 minutes ago, Jonathan Arlington said:

Where did I undermine your point of view? Senceless ... can be closed ... I wanted some facts from the devs about the server change because in my opinion this is a lack of information. If this leads to a disussion about fair and unfair pings and if someone is bitching or not it's senceless...

willkommen im pvp2