Game-Labs Forum

Declaration of the French Council about the new European server

PIerrick de Badas

15 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

The title of this thread should read:  "Port Battles: Or How I learned to stop loving PvP and Love Broken End-Game Content"...

RvR has been a cancer in this game since I've been around.  In the old days, it sucked OW PvP away, by forcing you to sit with your mates waiting to find out which flag that was pulled was "real"...  But oh yes, everyone wanted full PB's, right?  Thats why so many false-flag were pulled??

More recently, fleets have taken to logging out days in advance of a PB so that they wont have to engage in OW PvP to accomplish their goal.  

The problem HAS BEEN and STILL IS, some people want a "Port Battle Simulator" or World of Warships- Sailing Ship Edition.  Because thats all port battles are.  A Naval Action version of a WOWS random battle.

The day when more people wanted Port Battles as end content over OW PvP was the day Naval Action changed forever.  I think that occurred somewhere around October.

Oh well, my 2000 hours tells me I got my money's worth.

It does seem strange to me, most of the best battles I've had were in OW , mixed fleets and no restrictions it is basically (apart from shipbuild) a sailors skill ,strategy and guts.

Yet with every passing day I see most people avoiding it like the plague,so I agree totally agree at some point the age of sail OW great battle mechanics we all loved got overwhelmed by a notion of WIN the map, and win at all costs.

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Tac said:

It does seem strange to me, most of the best battles I've had were in OW , mixed fleets and no restrictions it is basically (apart from shipbuild) a sailors skill ,strategy and guts.

Yet with every passing day I see most people avoiding it like the plague,so I agree totally agree at some point the age of sail OW great battle mechanics we all loved got overwhelmed by a notion of WIN the map, and win at all costs.

Should be get better next patch when they change the RoE and reduce Ai fleets.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JonSnowLetsGo said:

Should be get better next patch when they change the RoE and reduce Ai fleets.

And above all else - the reintroduction of the shipyard and regional bonus' as tradeable commodities. At last a return to the glory days where all that was needed for a fresh fight was to sail to the enemy capitol and lo and behold - PvP! These days everyone is spread all over the server - I've been in KPR in a lone frigate or SoL more times than I can recount.. The first time it was strange - lying in a Bellona right in the harbour of the bloody brits capitol. I even took a SS of it thinking it was something special. Then I stopped taking SS. Then I stopped going to KPR - no fun in killing noobs and not much else around KPR than noobs and the occasional trader.

1 hour ago, rediii said:

I can't take you serious sorry.

Reason why people are logging out in front of portbattles? Because 5vs25 is possible and happens too many times. Result is a boring fight and going offline after nothing happened instead of a nice battle

OW PvP is nice and all but there is no reason to sail most of the time. Mostly you need hours until you find a fight - if you even find a fight. (A fight -no gank) so portbattles are just a way to get a fast balanced battle.

Flags were nice wenn used in a proper way and not setting portbattletimers to stupid times. Fakeflags were cancer, yea

Redii to my understanding and for a good length of time the British nation has always sailed from a starting point be that Bridgetown, La Mona or KPR to port battles it is the Eastern alliance that is dishonourable and try's to log out outside of port every time the last time the BRITS did it was at Trinidad and that was for 10 mins because we made better time than expected. I for one am totally against logging out in front of port because it's cheating. Maybe we should have lowered ourselves to your level  to get into the ports we night flipped but no we sailed there every time just as well after the next patch and the Devs fix it you won't be able to do it but then they are going to fix the BR difference so you won't be able to tag a PB fleet in unless you have a similar sized force to match the BR of the attacking fleet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Mind you, might be a great idea for the servers to be split simply so the eastern alliance does their own shit on the EU one, and the western alliance is left on global. Might actually end up breeding something other than outright hatred for the opposing side, with time.

P.S. See, I can make comments that aren't just ban-worthy.

Frankly Crowley I'm a little disappointed this sort of cordial reply is not what the community expects of you..

My tour of nations on PvP1 seems to be sadly cut short by these events (it would have been France and Spain next).. so farewell to all players who leave and good winds!

Having played GB for most of the time, a big shout-out for the hospitality I received during my tenure in "the East" :)

I hope someday we can play together again o7

P.S.

Having played on both sides of the alliance divide I think there are things to take away here. It is amazing in a social experiment kind of way, but also frightening, to see how good people on both sides can be pitted against each other in a seemingly insoluble conflict.

Looked at it by daylight the split was easily preventable or at least a better arrangement could have been found. It is too easy to only blame night flips for this. It is also the level of instilled 'hate' that made true enemies here. It was helped by the downward slope of cross community relations due to game mechanics - or lack of them.
In other words, there is nothing to prevent relations from becoming more and more hostile. The night flips happened, in part, precisely because they pissed the other guy off, as a response to something that pissed the night flipper off earlier. (Night flip is timezone independent so you have to insert who the evil night flipper was as needed to preserver your conception).

If it wasn't night flips it would have been something else.

The developers need to implement safeguards to prevent future splits, it is dangerous to think that if you replicate the exact same environment such a community division will not happen in the same way. The new servers will see the same development if you wait long enough.

We had already seen this happening before EA.

The writings were on the wall so much so that I wrote this:

Clan/Nation driven faction Alliances used to work out ok in our little tester village with 100 people online. Stuff like Trafalgar and the backdrop of ST1 with random team assignments made cross nation bonds easy and it helped cool down heads when things got heated after battles, especially now that you can lose land. With fewer players in the game a greater fraction of people knew reasons for horse trading ports, retribution and other aspects of diplomacy.

The influx of new players shortly before Steam EA has given us a very helpful glimpse into the future of this. All of the above will no longer be feasible. Saturday's traf even if it becomes saturated will cover a smaller percentage of players.

Reasons for this that and the other thing will become shrouded, twisted by rumours and you end up with amazingly hostile chat and it has started already. If this trend continues we might end up with entrenched alliances and a very toxic cross-faction community.

So instead of only player driven alliances I urge the devs to introduce alliances that are chosen by them or say every three months the game picks one random additional alliance per nation.

This was written in January 2016.

Hardly surprising in hindsight, but still hurts to see the player base fracture.

Devs, the next split is in your court.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, Llewellyn Jones RN said:

Redii to my understanding and for a good length of time the British nation has always sailed from a starting point be that Bridgetown, La Mona or KPR to port battles it is the Eastern alliance that is dishonourable and try's to log out outside of port every time the last time the BRITS did it was at Trinidad and that was for 10 mins because we made better time than expected. I for one am totally against logging out in front of port because it's cheating. Maybe we should have lowered ourselves to your level  to get into the ports we night flipped but no we sailed there every time just as well after the next patch and the Devs fix it you won't be able to do it but then they are going to fix the BR difference so you won't be able to tag a PB fleet in unless you have a similar sized force to match the BR of the attacking fleet.

Well you'd be welcome to log off outside of port. It does seem rather redundant for you guys though as no one bothers to come to the defence in the nightflips and that's the exact reason why we need regional servers, and most of the times you're more than welcome in the PBs as we don't fear the battle and as such doesn't employ screens as often..

As for the logging off being equivalent to cheating - I disagree. I don't like the logging off as it forces one side to be unable to play the game for x amount of hours, but I recognize it's a behaviour that has been brought about for two reasons: 1) The western alliance is numerically much larger than the eastern alliance. Even if the western alliance is less skilled than the eastern alliance it makes up for this short coming with pure numbers. If the eastern alliance wants a PB in an important port it needs to log off outside hours in advance - in essence robbing the eastern alliance players for hours of gameplay. 2) It's a use of a mechanic. Just as the current RoE is a use of a mechanic so is the logging off outside PB. To say that using the at hand mechanics is cheating is the same as saying that the abusing of the RoE to tag entire PB fleets with minimal effort is cheating.

4 hours ago, Louis Garneray said:

True. :wacko:

Can you remind me who was involved in the last bug exploit? ;)

I guess they were our allies so it was OK right? :D:D

I don't mind reminding you.. It was Lord Vicious - who even made a video of it and showed everyone else how to cheat as he did. Instead of doing the proper thing and make a thread in the tribunal/support sections.

33 minutes ago, Ketunpoika said:

I cant sleep because theres PB in Naval Action! :rolleyes: Thats sounds like "No life only pixel ports"

lol and this comment sounds like tears in the wind of the empty global server. - Do you feel we're having a meaningfull dialogue now?

Something that amazes me here is that this thread was made with the purpose of getting info out of the devs in a funny and immersive manner. And yet somehow, despite the hundreds of derogatory threads, we manage to even divide over this one thing we should all be able to agree to - WE WOULD LIKE MORE INFO?

Or am I wrong? Will the western alliance now whine over a split their own toxic behaviour forced through and start cry about how no one wants to play with them? - I've said it before.. Just like in any schoolyard, if you don't play nice with others you're gonna end up alone in a corner of the schoolyard and then it doesn't matter wether it's your ball or not - no one cares. I've sunk enemies, (and been sunk by them) more times than I can remember. Most battles left me with a stirring emotion of great drama, joy and a profound respect for my opponent. I don't consider ganks a battle, and I don't cheer for empy port battles - they stir no other emotions than anger and resentment and this game has so much more to offer. If the toxic elements stays on the global server then I say have fun and I'll sink you from time to time in the OW on global - but if the toxicity remains at the lvls they are I'll most likely be part of building a better community on the EU server and let the global server sink into oblivion. I applaud the OP for the effort to get info the entire community craves for - we should take the salt someplace else. God knows there's plenty of threads to spread it in.

I'll put it this way Bearwall.

The majority of the Western Alliance aren't even playing the damned game. And why should they? Until the server merge/divide hopefully/might happen there is no real point in playing. Same shit different day. If people on the eastern alliance can't hack losing ports when they aren't online, too bloody bad. 

Nightflips aren't the reason people quit the game. Boredum is. Stagnation is. Lack of content is. Lack of OW activity is. RvR is stale as shit and thus even the hardcore players are 99% of the time dreading to even come on to defend/attack ports.

• Like 6

Well, if I summarize the spirit of this thread, I can say that the most virulent of the Western alliance are happy to be, finally, rid of whining opponents and often cheaters, but throws a last Stone on their escaping victims, who can go whine on the whining server. 

Everything is perfect.

It is as in a divorce, where the one who stays, throws the anathema on the one who goes away, simply because both are incapable of managing their necessary separation as adults.

Alanxo Basque Rigolard

• Like 5

17 hours ago, PIerrick de Badas said:

Probably Brits first to clean the area and then maybe the swedish danish coalition with our dutch allies? Who knows?

That's gonna be easy to clean the area, you mostly will find only AI on brit ports. And you are being very optimistic about finding some dutch too.

In a game without SOLs and rules that favour the lonely pirate hunter, I really can't follow this weird discussion. The game you play now will die out after wipe...

Many players are giving up on this project as it causes a lot of frustration. Ask yourself if this kind of gaming are worth the effort instead.

Next wipe, next patch.... 

15 hours ago, Hethwill said:

There is only a slight delay on the UI actions in port.

Combat feels absolutely the same on both server at the moment.

We been noticing a lot of server lag during fights that we didn't see before.  I mean a little FPS drop and such is expected but we are talking about actually lag and we are seeing it in smaller OW battles to.  Not sure what is up with that but it wasn't going on a while back a few months ago.  Can't wait for one day for the to actually optimize this game for those with multi core CPUS and what not.