Game-Labs Forum

Antietam -- Need Help

Beruldsen

I'm playing as the CSA ... and in my most recent play through ... I was able to field an army of over 50k and did fine for a while ... but in the end I was over whelmed by a force of over 100k. 

Any thoughts as to how to win this as the CSA???

5 hours ago, Beruldsen said:

I'm playing as the CSA ... and in my most recent play through ... I was able to field an army of over 50k and did fine for a while ... but in the end I was over whelmed by a force of over 100k. 

Any thoughts as to how to win this as the CSA???

Which level you are playing on ?

There are some useful tips in forum. 

My favorite strategy is to defend in woods around Dunkerk church as long as possible and detach some troops from Sunken road and Sharpsburg to defend at stone bridge.

That should work.

Depends on the definition of especially large army. 

If by large army you mean a few thick 2000/2500 man infantry brigades, then no, there is very little point in doing that, because Antietam has a lot of ground to cover.

However, on the other hand, if large army means having lots of 1000 man brigades, then yes, there is a point for Antietam, because of the amount of ground you need to cover, and the amount of ground remaining to do flanking maneuvers. Which is to say, there's a lot of room to do flanking on Antietam.

If you don't have at least half a corp for the third corp, there's little point in trying to defend Stone Bridge, mostly because there are at least 6 large brigades that spawn at Stone Bridge. If you practically only have one or two brigades, it's better to just fall back to Sharpsburg to consolidate your lines, and push back out to Dunker Church/Sunken Road after you've dealt with Burnside's brigades.

In my most recent effort I had a total of 48 brigades ... I could probably go back and adjust my organization and create a few more.  I'm guessing I could do a better job with my cavalry and skirmishers creating behind-enemy-line issues.  This is certainly a hard one...

I should also point out that a lot of the time, it's only making use of fortifications when it benefits you to use them; as in, only use the forward-most fortifications at Dunker Church just to start the battle with. Mostly as a matter of getting the melee bonus to fend off large brigades charging you. Once the Sunken Road is expanded, and the enemy tries to flank you, you should fall back to the tree line around Dunker Church and let some of those flanking brigades hit the Sunken Road instead (which gives you a total of three points to apply flanking pressure; between the tree line and the sunken road, and the edges of either flank).

You don't necessarily need to go deep strike the artillery or otherwise make behind-the-line issues, as long as you apply a lot of pressure on the flanks, the line starts crumbling, and you get lots of free shots on routing units. Chasing said routing units with skirmisher cav or carbine skirmishers gets you a lot of free shots also. Doing so, as stated over and over again on this forum, requires quite a bit of micromanagement because of the skirmisher behavior in general that does not favor chasing.