Game-Labs Forum

Going to model a ship

OkIES

What 6th/5th rate ship do people want in the game that's currently not being worked on by the developers or another Player. I'm going to dust off my Maya and start a new project for fun :) ( looking to do a ship with plenty of references)

• Like 1

If you are intent on modelling a smaller ship, a 5th/6th Rate, (bravo!, I say), then I would suggest that an iconic type of vessel we're lacking currently are the Cruizer-class brig-sloop-things. As a widely-built type of vessel, there should be a significant amount of information about them out there, and fortunately the Maritime Museum at Greenwich does have plans available for HMS Cruizer (1796):

j4871.jpg

j4869.jpg

j4868.jpg

Slightly clearer plan of HMS Alert:

post-70-0-97853300-1379460367.jpg

Edited by Rikard Frederiksen
  • Like 1

Altho the cruizer class is a very attractive vessel these plans are not good for modeling a well detailed 3d model.

All the plans you get in preview form from the greenwich museum are low res and not very well suited to model along them. If you want to use such you do need to modify them somehow to be able to use them in a 3d modeling programm.

If this is your very first ship you make you should definately check Malachi s thread:

Ship plans or ideas are to be found dozens in the shipyard section.

If you intend to make a well enough model for ingame use be sure to not choose another british design. The devs want more variety and british vessels are very well represented in the game already.

dutch vessels for example:

french ones:

There are more to be found.

If you have questions regarding ship modeling feels free to PM me - I can give you help regarding tech requirements for ingame use, and help in general.

• Like 5

Chapelle includes plans for the Cruizer-class Epervier in his The History of The American Sailing Navy. One thing about the base hull is it allows several different configurations, including both brig and sloop rigs, and forecastle and aft platforms. Even an alternate armament plan from HMS Raven, which had two 68-pdr carronades installed on innovative, raised pivots.

HMS Epervier.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you guys for your suggestions! I shall review this class of ship and go from there. This will be my first ship model, however I'v modelled out complete scenes and environments for passed projects for when I was in college for Game Development.  I'm excited to get started :D

• Like 2

i also recomand getting Achitecura Navalis Mercatoria Since it has alot of small vessel in it from all kind of nations Dutch/Danish/Swedish/!Finnland! and even a Spanish Barg.

if you aim for smaller vessels. if you want something for practis here a dutch shooner

uef1ULl.png