Game-Labs Forum

I like it dirty...

Is it me or all ships look too clean? Especially ship decks. They are way too clean and lack good nice texture. We are talking about ships made of wood, it goes through years of punishment at sea. Come on it can't be that clean. 

I am suggesting Developers to add 3 basic textures to ship decks that will transition based on environment. 

1. Mostly clean, some worn out wood texture on the edge and corners. Replace what we have now.

2. Dark//Wet look only appears when rain starts and decks get wet. Visible small puddles with reflection. 

3. Dirty/Splinters, this texture should appear when player is damaged and in battle. 

More texture on decks will make ships look more alive. They look too flat now. 

Regen_Holzplanken_300dpi.jpg

Splinters

Splinter_background2.jpg

Wet

Wood+floor+texture+%25281+of+1%2529.jpg

Default/Mostly Clean

depositphotos_5061054-stock-photo-wood-t

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 5

24 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

Is it me or all ships look too clean? Especially ship decks. They are way too clean and lack good nice texture. We are talking about ships made of wood, it goes through years of punishment at sea. Come on it can't be that clean. 

I am suggesting Developers to add 3 basic textures to ship decks that will transition based on environment. 

1. Mostly clean, some worn out wood texture on the edge and corners. Replace what we have now.

2. Dark//Wet look only appears when rain starts and decks get wet. Visible small puddles with reflection. 

3. Dirty/Splinters, this texture should appear when player is damaged and in battle. 

More texture on decks will make ships look more alive. They look too flat now. 

Reveal hidden contents

Regen_Holzplanken_300dpi.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Splinters

Splinter_background2.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Wet

Wood+floor+texture+%25281+of+1%2529.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Default/Mostly Clean

depositphotos_5061054-stock-photo-wood-t

Great idea, especially for ships that have been in a few battles, been around a month or two and just getting old right? we have ship paints, so in the future hopefully we can get old looking ship schemes.

however this is something that can wait until after the game is released, i think the devs have much more on their plate just getting ready for production.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rebel Witch said:

Great idea, especially for ships that have been in a few battles, been around a month or two and just getting old right? we have ship paints, so in the future hopefully we can get old looking ship schemes.

however this is something that can wait until after the game is released, i think the devs have much more on their plate just getting ready for production.

You are right, but if they do have an art team member then he should look into it. 

One of the visual aspects I like in Dreadnought game is exactly that.

The paint wears, the "scars" stay with the ship. There's a point where it gets reset, maybe due to losses, but it is really nice to look to the ship and have that feeling of a "veteran of a thousand fights".

• Like 2

While I get you when it comes to 'battle damage/shrapnel' you'd be surprised outside of it. Ships are always being kept in absolutely perfect condition with the decks being scrubbed often mroe then once a day even to prevent the described 'weathering' effect. Splinters that could hurt people (remember infections were very dangerous at the time) were also removed via that. Often the Navy back then (and probably also today was effectively the cleanest possible workplace.

It's also the reason why pirate ships often had trouble with their ships as the discipline to keep up regular maintenance was lacking and therefore the ship was hardly combat ready should a warship catch up to them or even ready for harsh weather.

Edited by JollyRoger1516
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

While I get you when it comes to 'battle damage/shrapnel' you'd be surprised outside of it. Ships are always being kept in absolutely perfect condition with the decks being scrubbed often mroe then once a day even to prevent the described 'weathering' effect. Splinters that could hurt people (remember infections were very dangerous at the time) were also removed via that. Often the Navy back then (and probably also today was effectively the cleanest possible workplace.

It's also the reason why pirate ships often had trouble with their ships as the discipline to keep up regular maintenance was lacking and therefore the ship was hardly combat ready should a warship catch up to them or even ready for harsh weather.

You telling me splinters were cleaned up during the battle? The whole point of this post is to push more realistic textures during weather or battle conditions and not after battle chores. 

Edited by Ned Loe

23 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

You telling me splinters were cleaned up during the battle? The whole point of this post is to push more realistic textures during weather or battle conditions and not after battle chores. 

Like I said I get you when it comes to battle conditions. And btw yes - crews would actually sand the planks and regularly resand durign a battle to prevent shrapnel that was lying around to cause additional damage and to prevent people slipping on the blood spilled. In fact often before a boarding attempt sand was even thrown onto the enemy ship to allow safe jumps to the other side especially when a grape attack preceeded the boarding.

Edited by JollyRoger1516

8 minutes ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

watch master and commander - they actually did it in there :P

Not during the battle, I know that film very well. They had splinters and broken masts all over the ship, then they sailed into the fog and later on were able to escape and refit at sea hidden from the enemy. This actually supports my idea with (show splinter texture on deck during the battle). Only after full ship repair I suggest to add more weathered texture look on ships. Currently, ship decks are too clean. I've visited USS Constitution and even serviced those decks don't look that clean. 

Edited by Ned Loe

decks should be clean. Maybe not if you are a pirate but.. No dirt and such because at least british seamen were forbidden to smutch the decks. Have to spit out your tobbacco? Better aim well for that gunport. Cause if you get caught hitting the inside of the deck you are sure to be punished.

What can happen to the ship's paint is aging. Especially the sun in our caribbean is bleaching the paint. And the sails will loose their whiteness and become brown-ish and thinner. We had that discussion somewhere in the forums aleady.

On 3/21/2017 at 9:10 AM, BungeeLemming said:

decks should be clean. Maybe not if you are a pirate but.. No dirt and such because at least british seamen were forbidden to smutch the decks. Have to spit out your tobbacco? Better aim well for that gunport. Cause if you get caught hitting the inside of the deck you are sure to be punished.

What can happen to the ship's paint is aging. Especially the sun in our caribbean is bleaching the paint. And the sails will loose their whiteness and become brown-ish and thinner. We had that discussion somewhere in the forums aleady.

Like I said it's too clean and looks dull. I am a graphic designer and I would reject the current texture on the spot. Just saying. 

Edited by Ned Loe