Game-Labs Forum

Big Problem with 1 Dura AI Captures In a No Quality System

I love sailing 1 durability AI captures, although I accept that a ship better than blue is practically impossible to find and so I paid a crafter a few million gold for all the time he puts into crafting a really good exceptional ship with five durability.

Now I heard the devs are getting rid of quality. Well, okay, I guess. I can accept that, since what  used to be "quality" will now be "experience earned with a specific ship class" and I'll improve the ship by playing on it.

Then I heard they're removing durability down to 1. Wow. Still okay, I guess. They're going to make ships cheaper so its more accessible, and someone said something about selling captures to new players, since captured ships will now be just as useful as crafted ships.

But wait. The reason I paid a few million gold for a five-dura gold ship when I had a captured one-dura blue ship is now gone. Both a crafted and a captured ship will be the exact same "quality" to me. And both have the same number of durability. And both will have the same "mods" baked in to my experience with the ship class.

Why will I ever buy a crafted ship since a captured ship is just as good and virtually free, if I can take her, or doubtlessly less time-consuming to capture than to craft, if I'm buying from someone else.

@adminSince this feature isn't in yet I can't properly report this as a bug. So I'm asking the community for some suggestions on how to preempt this problem.

• Like 2

I'm worried all the 1-dura advocates who didn't want hulking and refitting because they enjoyed making ships so much are going to be out of work. I think we can hash out a possible solution before any damage is done.

Hey that cigarette in that waste basket is smoldering.

Yeah well lets wait and see, it might not catch fire. If it does we'll talk about that.

No, no, pretty sure we should snuff it out before it gets that far.

I remember when people were farming 1-dura 1st rates because they were functionally no different than, and infinitely cheaper than, crafted 1st rates. Just a couple clanmates stern-camping a Victory for hours in boarding-rigged Cerbs. It took months of port battles for them to all sink out of clan shipyards.

41 minutes ago, SinkingN0ob said:

I guess you still will be able to choose the wood and the refit you want your ship made of. By capturing someone you have to take what you get. That's at least my assumption.

This is pretty much the main reason any one craft a ship for the most part.  Cause you can make the ship how you want it to be.  Also we don't know what will be diffrent.  Mayeb capture AI ships will have something lesser about them maybe not.  Remember you get to have certain mods still that are reusable once your earn them.  A capture AI ship might be a good way to get experience in a class of ship until you can craft one of your own or get some one to do it for you.

And remember you still can't capture AI SOL's, those will all have to be crafted.  

54 minutes ago, Wesreidau said:

I love sailing 1 durability AI captures, although I accept that a ship better than blue is practically impossible to find and so I paid a crafter a few million gold for all the time he puts into crafting a really good exceptional ship with five durability.

Now I heard the devs are getting rid of quality. Well, okay, I guess. I can accept that, since what  used to be "quality" will now be "experience earned with a specific ship class" and I'll improve the ship by playing on it.

Then I heard they're removing durability down to 1. Wow. Still okay, I guess. They're going to make ships cheaper so its more accessible, and someone said something about selling captures to new players, since captured ships will now be just as useful as crafted ships.

But wait. The reason I paid a few million gold for a five-dura gold ship when I had a captured one-dura blue ship is now gone. Both a crafted and a captured ship will be the exact same "quality" to me. And both have the same number of durability. And both will have the same "mods" baked in to my experience with the ship class.

Why will I ever buy a crafted ship since a captured ship is just as good and virtually free, if I can take her, or doubtlessly less time-consuming to capture than to craft, if I'm buying from someone else.

@adminSince this feature isn't in yet I can't properly report this as a bug. So I'm asking the community for some suggestions on how to preempt this problem.

Dont be hysterical.

Captured AI ships - grey.

Player crafted - gold (better)

What diference between them is a pure speculation right now. Just wait and see.

I dont like qualities going. We dont have enough ship variety to be able to drop quality. There is just going to be not enough means for the economy to exist. 

It's a valid concern.  If the captured AI vessels are just as good as any crafted one, why indeed would someone want one crafted?

I suspect, if the OW AI is sharply reduced, the desire to have a purpose built vessel will keep crafters in business, as many will not want to have to keep capturing vessel after vessel to try to get what they want.  Here's hoping the OW AI is sharply reduced ;)

• Like 3

i'm excited to try out these changes just as the dev's have spec'd them out. the time and effort required to hunt down ships on the OW (especially now that missions will be gone) to find the right ship with the right trim is definitely deterrent enough for me that it won't replace crafted ships.  However, on the off chance I hit the lottery and capture a ship I like, it makes it useful instead of worthless like they are now.

Hasn't admin been talking about phasing out missions in favor of fighting OW AI fleets? Because if so it seems unlikely that it will be reduced.