Game-Labs Forum

PVE Server and PVE zones - Preliminary announcement.

2 hours ago, admin said:

it works in eve mate.. it works in eve.

same will be here.

Hmm see thats the thing, eve is extremely different... In a lot of ways, im not sure that naval action has the ability to replicate an economy in the same way... if thats even what you are trying to do.

As far as buildings go well that again very different... and the point of the buildings and how they work into the economy will also be very different.

Pve zones? that dose not exist in eve

Im really interested to see how this is all going to work as i love this game ^_^ 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Borch said:

If someone who plays PvE wants to try PvP, he simply needs to create an account on PvP server.

Whats wrong with PvE server?

Seriously I'm all in when it comes to increasing PvE activities in the game as it will make NA more interesting but PvE only zone on PvP server is a mistake (at least in gulf of Mexico).

Pacific zone would be better. As for it breaking immersion and being a-historical, PvE zone itself is immersion breaking and a-historical, same as first rates everywhere, combat pull circle and nation of pirates sailing in ships of the line. So?

It's dead for one so a waste of resources.  They aren't going to build content for PvE only players.  It's better to have every one on one server for better testing.  You do know they are talking of merging PvP1 and PvP2 Together and then making a PvP EU only server (limited PB time slots) so it's not just the PvE guys getting merged.  I bet the PvE limited server will prob end up getting merged back into the main server any way soon so it will be all one server.

4 hours ago, admin said:

(edited)

• PVE Zones will be added to the main servers.
  • Most hardcore games we know have pve zones, safe zones, high security space or some other form of buffer area. Such zone allows pve players to see the more alive world around them and try pvp from time to time maybe converting to pvp players. 
    • Players who will want to engage in PVE activities without any interaction with the outside world will have to choose one of 3 nations. Spain (Sisal spawn), France (French Louisiana spawn), Britain (around Mosquito coast). These three nations will have 2 spawns - main pvp and secondary pve.

Mosquito coast? I'm concerned this is running the same risk as the Bahamian rookie zone - not isolated enough to function as intended. May be better to forget historicity and relocate the Brit PvE region to the Nuevo Santander coast (Soto La Marina). Then the Straits of Florida and Yucatan Channel become the choke points into the PvE zone.

By the way, will the Bahamian rookie zone still exist? If yes - the Caribbean sure is getting segregated into a lot of "zones".

• This will basically turn Gulf of Mexico into large PvE zone.
  • All free-towns inside the PVE zone will be removed to avoid safe transport of resources from inside the zone.

This will be simplified by my suggestion above about the Brit PvE zone.

• The only way to fight in the PVE zones will be to attack smugglers - which will from the patch create outlaw battle (FFA) - the mechanic that you can test on the testbed.

This sounds like there will be no port battles in the PvE zone, which raises questions already asked but...

1. How will limited economy slots work in the PvE zone? How will players harvest resources or craft ships in the PvE zone without land grants (allowing construction of forests, mines & shipyards)?
Edited by Angus McGregor

I have no issue with the idea of a PvE area on the PvP server but............ and it is a might big but.

As a PvE player I want to or may need trade with another nation for  the materials I need. I have to use the smuggler flag so I put it on and head off for my much needed mats. In the meantime PvP players can enter the PvE area and hunt with impunity PvE smugglers knowing that if they run into a fellow PvP player from another nation they are at war with they can't be attacked - so they hunt PvE smugglers get XP for the ship they use and then use the escape to friendly port BS to exit the area. Now tell me as a PvE smuggler which hand I should hold the gun in to shoot myself in the foot when I put that smugglers flag up which announces I'm dinner waiting to happen.

Sorry but I'm a bit miffed at giving PvP players a free hand with immunity inside the PvE area.

• Like 1

I and my brother and sister, all three play this game and we are unified as well as many of the players posting in the game chat that we absolutely will refuse to play this game anymore if it goes to PVP style. I don't think the developers realize that there is a very large core group of older players who enjoy this game for its relaxing almost nostalgic and romantic tone of the game. We feel it's the kind of game made for people like us who don't want to be involved with kiddy twitch shooters, and ganking squads of amoralistic, immature, frustrated Eve players. It has been said that the developers are patterning this game after Eve, I would highly caution against that, if we wanted Eve we would play Eve. If we wanted call of duty we would play that game, if we wanted Elite dangerous or any of the other first-person shooter style dog eat dog economy games then we would play those games. But we choose instead to play this game because it offers a game style unique unto itself and does not have to emulate anything else out there.

the only thing that has ever been missing from this game in our humble opinion, meaning me and my siblings and close friends, is the lack of vertical achievement beyond the rank of rear admiral. Because once that rank is achieved all gameplay becomes obsolete and redundant. All the developers really needed to do was to create an achievement progression comensurate with both period and play style inherent in this game.

there is a camaraderie among players of this game that you don't usually find in games of any genre, I believe a lot of that has to do with the average age and maturity level of the player base on the PVE server. if you start throwing those people in with the younger PVP demographic you're going to have a mass exodus on your hands.

So that's my two cents for whatever it's really worth

Edited by JazAero
  • Like 15

Wow. And just as I was considering going back to the PVE server to get away from the PVP drama queens. PVE server was much more relaxing, and less demanding for the casual player. But the elimination of neutral ports broke the ability to get the OPs a player needed to craft what they needed without a lot of excess hassle, unless you were a Spanish player, the you could get everything you needed because your nation owned 80% of it.

• Like 4

I and I speak for many players within our clan are not happy with the shut down of the PvE server. Most of us switched from PvP and didn't enjoy the more intense competitive environment it offered. I started on PvP and left for PvE; since then I have really enjoyed the ship exploration, big map, trade and missions PvE offered. We had so much fun within our clan taking on NPC fleet epics and joining together for ranked missions. We collaborated building ships and upgrades as a large group, many of those players have become friends.  I will say this; I'm not going into the new PvE/PvP map closed minded but honestly very doubtful that the new map system will offer the same breadth of experience and enjoyment the full PvE map now has. Present ships are gone or at first glance changed and more build directed items (a good improvement), upgrades are gone (to bad but - meh), now the PvE maps will be section(s) of the large PvP map with PvE areas, I could be wrong about this but this can only be a huge step back and in many of our clan members opinions and a potential deal breaker. Considering we have had access to the entire Caribbean and soon a section (Quote: This will basically turn Gulf of Mexico into large PvE zone) in the future sounds restrictive for those of us whom appreciated access to a wonderful well designed and thought out full PvE-map. I do realize that the PvE server doesn't have the numbers and may not be economically viable anymore so my suggestion is join PvE to a PvP server but have the menu choices offer a NPC/Bot type PvE side similar to World of Warships (sorry about the competitor reference) with the same map PvE has now. 

Or another thought is have a second box similar tot he Smuggler box allowing or disallowing attacks - both ways. 

I am apprehensive about some of the changes I see described but will stay long enough to check it out; after that - no promises. 

Edited by Buba Smith
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, admin said:

like they do now or did before from capitals? It will be symbiotic relationship . pvp players will provide pve players with conquest marks/land permits and pvp marks and pve players will provide the backbone of the economy.

that's wishful thinking but not practical, you are overlooking the most obvious observation, and that is the demographics of the two groups that play. PVE players tend to be older more mature and much more mellow about their play style. We have developed friendships and very good working and playing relationships. On the other hand PVP players tend to be much younger less mature more melodramatic in both their play style and in their messaging on the chat boards. I often equate visiting the PVP servers like jumping into a sewer.

So no I do not believe this grand experiment of combining the two groups is going to work and you are going to lose a lot of players. what works in eve, works in eve, but this is not eve,. If we wanted to play that game then that is what we would be playing. But this is the game we chose. I know of some older players who have never played any video games but find they like and enjoy this game. You are taking that enjoyment away, for what purpose I cannot fathom. I can only assume that the age group of the developers is more closely related to the age group of the PVP players. Perhaps you should do a survey or check your demographics. at the very least .

if you feel you must combine the two servers for financial reasons, then restricting one group over another to certain play areas is just flat out wrong. People should be given a choice of what country they play for and what geographical area they choose to play in. And restrictions should be placed on encounters the way they are in other games using a selection system selection a, you can be attacked  selection b, you are safe but even that I fear would not be enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JazAero said:

that's wishful thinking but not practical, you are overlooking the most obvious observation, and that is the demographics of the two groups that play. PVE players tend to be older more mature and much more mellow about their play style. We have developed friendships and very good working and playing relationships. On the other hand PVP players tend to be much younger less mature more melodramatic in both their play style and in their messaging on the chat boards. I often equate visiting the PVP servers like jumping into a sewer.

Not one to argue, but this caught my eye. Speak for yourself mate, you seem a bit dramatic yourself painting all PvPers with the same brush. I know some great players who are PvPers who don't act the way you think. Maybe you just got in with the wrong group of people. :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SeaHyena said:

Not one to argue, but this caught my eye. Speak for yourself mate, you seem a bit dramatic yourself painting all PvPers with the same brush. I know some great players who are PvPers who don't act the way you think. Maybe you just got in with the wrong group of people. :)

You could be right, perhaps I am being a bit overly dramatic. Having said that however I do stand by the observation of demographics with regard to average age groups. I like to think that on the PVE server I am fairly well respected, and never hesitated to help or assist my fellow players Including and especially the brand-new players. But it has been my experience that on the PVP servers new players are often looked at as targets. And while I'm sure there are exceptions to any Observation I have never encountered the type of Destroy the other player at all cost mentality as I have witnessed on PVP.  So I really have to wonder if buying these two groups on one server is a wise decision. I guess that's all I am really trying to say here.

57 minutes ago, JazAero said:

You could be right, perhaps I am being a bit overly dramatic. Having said that however I do stand by the observation of demographics with regard to average age groups. I like to think that on the PVE server I am fairly well respected, and never hesitated to help or assist my fellow players Including and especially the brand-new players. But it has been my experience that on the PVP servers new players are often looked at as targets. And while I'm sure there are exceptions to any Observation I have never encountered the type of Destroy the other player at all cost mentality as I have witnessed on PVP.  So I really have to wonder if buying these two groups on one server is a wise decision. I guess that's all I am really trying to say here.

I played on PvE on up through Commodore rank, and switched to PvP.  I've found the overwhelming majority of my (somewhat carebear to use the pejorative term) experience there has been very friendly and extremely generous.  I was welcomed straightaway.  Now, I don't know about the Realm Vs Realm Port Battle Conquest side of things, it could well be different.  But it's not what I'm interested in, at all.  Now we shall see what kind of game is left for me, as I barely have time for any real PvP (it always comes to me exactly when I don't want it).  You'd be amazed the amount of times I've surrendered because I had to get ready for work.

I guess shutting down the PvE server is an economical decision made to save money. 

On the other hand, doing so is an another decision making PvE much less fun, the others being delaying the implementation of AI aggressiveness and the overhaul of a smarter AI. The ability to explore the OW was part of the fun of the PvE experience. PvE zones make the experience dull, making them just training centers for wannabe PvPers. IMHO a better idea would have been to implement Exploration gameplay in the wide world of the PvE server to make that experience special. Too bad. 

Unfortunately, shutting down the PvE server is another step in a direction you've chosen and assumed on NA forum : neglecting PvE.

5 hours ago, Borch said:

Pacific zone would be better. As for it breaking immersion and being a-historical, PvE zone itself is immersion breaking and a-historical, same as first rates everywhere, combat pull circle and nation of pirates sailing in ships of the line. So?

because PvP, ie playing with human beings, without the risk of physical damage, sailing pixel ships in a chair in front of computer screen is historical ?:P

Edited by LeBoiteux

Dear developers and players,

in fact of the three announcements yesterday, now community seems to be confused and not very happy. So if I have a look forward to all announced changes, in my opinion there is a simple way of solution:

Imagine if:

a ) there is a PvP Global and a PvE server and only if Eu players really need a PvP EU (pls check rest of my idea first)

b ) the PvP Global ports are splitted into 3 Battle (Attack)- Time Zones with around 8-10 hrs of available attack time (there is no need to kick US players out of a server and EU players they don't like a night flip can feel free to join another server or save their own timezone ports)

c ) the new rights for ressources should be implemented to all off this zones - so every port should to be attacked for its own and in every single timezone every ressource and benefit should be there

d ) there should be the possibility to create 3 port battles a day per zone (so there is a chance for many players to participate and earn some land grant)

I really hope you all can think about it. Sometimes a simple solution can finish everyone's issues.

Fair winds,

Black Duchess

Edited by Black Duchess

Does this cancellation of the PVE server mean that I will have the possibility to transfer my present PVE account to PVP global (previously US), where I don't have created account yet, without wiping out all my warehouses and outposts in the Euro-PVP?

6 minutes ago, Eléazar de Damas said:

Does this cancellation of the PVE server mean that I will have the possibility to transfer my present PVE account to PVP global (previously US), where I don't have created account yet, without wiping out all my warehouses and outposts in the Euro-PVP?

you will get everything from the PVE into redeemables, but... remember that we are removing ships and maybe assets..to properly test the final economy before release. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, admin said:

you will get everything from the PVE into redeemables, but... remember that we are removing ships and maybe assets..to properly test the final economy before release. 

Thanks.

Would you need, at that moment or later on, volunteer players to be completely reset, including XP but excluding clan registration, for testing progression?

Hi guys

I've ever only played on the pve server (I got my pvp fix elsewhere).

I understand the reason for the merge but I'd like know if it's possible to be a Dane in the pve zone? Or at least having the Danish flag showed on my ships? Im Danish. Im not French, Spanish or English :) It's a minor request in all of this but perhaps it's easy to solve?

Edited by Wessel-Tordenskjold

Who will choose Sweden, Denmark, USA or VP after that in the game. Only PVP players and they must fight vs the big econemy of the others?????? this will be the dead of the smaller Nations. We can test is, but dont like this. If you will do a PVE Area so you should give the to all nations. Its hard to find a place, but thats the problem of such ideas.

• Like 1

Which Free ports are getting scrapped?? Please answer @admin.

I and friends have major bases in Bonacca, Bensalem and Tumbado on PVP1, including clan warehouses. Given that you quote 'Mosquito Coast' and 'Sisal' as 2 of the new PVE zones that seems to mean 2 or probably all 3 of those ports are going to go.

So we need to know asap so we can move our stuff - or will you move our ships/goods/clan warehouses for us?

And by the way - why pick on those locations, they are not quiet areas (well maybe Louisiana is). There has always been plenty of PVP around Bonacco/Black River, Belize, Merida.

Anyway - with the planned restriction on land ownership and the clear intention to force players into a PB only play style, PVE is redundant so why bother setting up PVE zones? Just  save yourself the time and effort of setting up PVE zones (zones which wont help anyone).

1 hour ago, BoomBox said:

and what if u have accounts on all 3 servers ? and did i understand it right , you wont be able to build ships in he pve zone ?

I think this is an important question many of us would liked answer.

23 minutes ago, Wessel-Tordenskjold said:

Hi guys

I've ever only played on the pve server (I got my pvp fix elsewhere).

I understand the reason for the merge but I'd like know if it's possible to be a Dane in the pve zone? Or at least having the Danish flag showed on my ships? Im Danish. Im not French, Spanish or English :) It's a minor request in all of this but perhaps it's easy to solve?

You will be able to pick a new nation by the looks of it, but I think you will have to pick a new one if you want to remain in the PvE zone.

18 minutes ago, NavalActionPlayer said:

Which Free ports are getting scrapped?? Please answer @admin.

I and friends have major bases in Bonacca, Bensalem and Tumbado on PVP1, including clan warehouses. Given that you quote 'Mosquito Coast' and 'Sisal' as 2 of the new PVE zones that seems to mean 2 or probably all 3 of those ports are going to go.

So we need to know asap so we can move our stuff - or will you move our ships/goods/clan warehouses for us?

And by the way - why pick on those locations, they are not quiet areas (well maybe Louisiana is). There has always been plenty of PVP around Bonacco/Black River, Belize, Merida.

Anyway - with the planned restriction on land ownership and the clear intention to force players into a PB only play style, PVE is redundant so why bother setting up PVE zones? Just  save yourself the time and effort of setting up PVE zones (zones which wont help anyone).

We got a couple of weeks prob, but I'm going to bet folks will have to move stuff cause with the sounds of it they might have to reset the server and alliance system as folks are going to have to pick new nations with the server.  Cause folks like me aren't the same nation on both servers.