Game-Labs Forum

HMS Barfleur (1768) - 3D Model

T1ckL35

Blender already gives you the triscount which means you dont have to convert your faces by hand;) Blender is nice to us since it will show you the tris of the object and if you are in edit mode it shows you how much tris you selected. Which I sometimes use when modeling quick n dirty with subdivisions.

I need tris to make round ornaments work on the handrails. ranslates to all round objects.

Quick tip: use 13-17 sided cylinders - depending on the diameter you need - to model round objects. Its a number I got from "Ragnar Hairy Trousers", who made the indefatigable, endymion, niagara and some more vessels for the game.

Somtimes the game devs only use a quad instead of cylinders. But thats for objects with a small diameter.

Another good tip Bungee, keep them coming :)

I'd randomly decided on 16 sided cylinders on the Southampton model and am doing the same on this - a lucky choice more than anything but good to know that it fits in with everyone else

Small update, just blocking in some areas as I see them. Couldnt get the hawse holes to boolean cut through both plates properly so just leaving them exposed for now. I've also added (but left hidden for now) all the crazy number of gunport boolean cubes to cut through the hull at some point...but not just yet :)

barfleur-11.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35

Bit of a long shot this but does anyone have access to a copy of the book 'Legacy of a Ship Model Examining HMS Princess Royal 1773 By Rob Napier'?

I have a few lower resolution sample photos from this (as it is a sister ship to the Barfleur) but some areas aren't that clear. If someone had the book and wouldn't mind scanning/photoing some of the pictures then it would help a great deal. If not I'll just have to slowly keep working things out by cross referencing unclear areas with similar ships of the time :)

Edited by T1ckL35

Sure SteelSandwich :) The front is pretty tidy but there are a couple of lines at the rear that might need reworking as I found it wasn't quite smooth enough.

I've only just finished the gunports and there are some lines on the upper row I'm not too keen on at the minute

barfleur-14.jpg

barfleur-15.jpg

• Like 2

.. none of the ships you see in the shipyard are garanteed to make it ingame.

Some of them are not good enough - some are simply not in the interest of the developers.

And currently there are no more plans to add any new ship to the current lineup which is going to be finished and ingame on release.

@Tickles:

your model has a few edgy parts:

barefleur_dent.thumb.jpg.a7bf30da973672b5f785a906630a2e14.jpg

the arrows are there to show you lines which do not aff up to a flow.

Especially the one in the middle. But check those which form the "sharp" edge of the bow.

this is what I made some time ago - it shows how the lines in the middle should look akind:

barefleur_bungee.thumb.png.06d87f132bbb982256de5ff4a69d5af9.png

@NielsVisser - cheers :) as bungee says though there are no guarantees of any of these getting into the game. I'd love to be able to get one in but that is in the hands of the game devs (and I'm guessing the limited time they have for such things)

@BungeeLemming - yep well spotted, the middle line was badly mashed up - I can only think that I went back over the edges to check things and completely missed that line as it is between two cross sections. A big thanks for pointing that out. The horizontal middle one was also off so good spot. The others are all in line, I think the perspective and low resolution jpgs throw it out somewhat. I'll get a version in sketchpad soon so you can have a closer look.
The front bow line you pointed out is actually an aggregated line - exactly between the front one and the first 'proper' one and helps round off the bow as it wasn't looking smooth enough. It could probably be removed to lower the poly count if it ever made it into the game but it does help at the minute :)

@Ned Low - yes it would be great if there was demand for kickstarter packs, although programming a load of new ships into the game and balancing them might take far longer than the actual modelling (just a guess mind) :)

Edited by T1ckL35

@BungeeLemming - here you go :)

https://skfb.ly/678TC

Ignore the lack of edges/normals and the fact there are slight wobbles in edges of the top of the hull as these are going to be addressed. Quite a bit to clean up at the minute!

Edit: Looking at it more closely it seems to have mashed up quite a few areas and added extra tris in lots of places. Might be how it was exported or that I haven't gone over the core hull with a checker for ngons, bad geometry etc.. yet. Looks like as it was a mirrored hull it has screwed up all the join locations down the centre line

You'll also notice the middle horizontal line that seems to come up around the middle - I did this to average out the hull line with the cross sections. If I'd have left it in the flowing position then it wouldn't quite be right without adding another line through it - and I'm already using quite a number of polys so far.

Edited by T1ckL35

Tickles there are quite a few dents in your model. sections that simply wont work in RL.

I only looked at the front section. Not sure if I want to examine the whole model.

Protip: use more objects. your wales are not seperate. WHY? Use more objects for the model. It makes life easier and more comprenesible.

Some gunports are weird. try not to mess upthe lines which make up your ship. Try to avoid things such as this:

barefleur_gunport.thumb.png.05ceabcd055fc35607bb6b7081ecda30.png

towards the forecastle:

58f85dd8ef4a6_barefleurforecastle.thumb.png.1c8452885a4ab989bad3a10c10cfbf4f.png

bowviews:

barefleur_front.thumb.png.bf2a15f4b45138277b8f7203c19af465.pngbarefleur_frontview.thumb.png.8a676673fc5c102b1b0383e09a7c197f.png

All extremely good criticism BungeeLemming and it'll help me learn how to improve on the making :)

I'll start going over it and trying to correct the problems (and I knew there were many). I think I was trying to keep everything in one single piece and use as little geometry as possible - obviously in this case it doesnt work and causes more problems than what it is worth

keep in mind that wood does not like edges. curves provide a natural stability and you should always try to keep that in mind when modeling hulls.

In terms of making a low poly model its not very nessecary. You have plenty to work with if you want a ingame conform model. In doubt - ask.

But first of all you should revisit your hull. Go over each line and try to smoothen the body.

Once at home I can upload my own interpretation and you can maybe rip off some ideas or just use it as reference in some places. (only problem: I didnt do the bow yet^^)

I've started fixing the hull - making the wales separate has made it sooo much easier to fix the issues, glad you said to do that BungeeLemming :)
I've done the top gun row now and still plenty to go but I'm determined to fix this up as it should have been.

A bit of hull fixing progress.

@BungeeLemming - I've used your edge flow image as a basis and corrected the lines under the water line. The main issue as you pointed out was from about the front 3rd to the rear 3rd of the ship where the lines unnaturally sat too high. The lines either side of this were very similar to what was already there.
I've also added the horizontal lines back through the gunports to keep the flow as you suggested. I've tested re-filling and re-boolean cutting some of the gunports themselves but they still appear to have the rendering issue (as can be seen) where they don't appear to be smoothing properly or leave kink like lines. Still not knowing Blender too well I'm not sure whether the normals need recalculating or whether it just needs extra geometry to solve that. Any help is appreciated :)

https://skfb.ly/67BGC

I'll carry on fixing it up to get it in better shape

Edited by T1ckL35

wow that already looks a lot better.

One tip I saw you overdo atm:

the hull only needs to be thick where the potential player will see it. See where the lower gundeck is and take it as the reference where you want to start thicken the hull. If that was too weird an explanation you can check all my models on sketchfab. If interested take a lok at the Euridice if you want to know how the devs simulate lower decks (under the ladders e.g.)

So a bit thumbs up from me. Your model looks very pleasing now ;)

• Like 1

Thanks @BungeeLemming:)

I think I got a bit lax after having all the plans done for me with the Southampton model but you've got me back on track. I'd spent a fair bit of time redrawing all the cross sections as individual parts for this model but neglected the rest of the hull

I've had a look at your models and understand now - finish the inner hull just below the lowest visible deck and only draw the top surface of the lowest visible deck too :)

• Like 1