Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedack 0.76 and higher

I love the new "fixed enemy strength" option! Thanks for listening to community feedback on this one. But can we get this option for Medium difficulty as well? I don't want to have the other bonuses associated with Easy difficulty, but I also do want Fixed Enemy Strength so my victories feel like they matter in the larger campaign. 

• Like 1

I don't know if you changed day 1 chickamauga at all but I now get more brigades near reeds bridge (which is good). However, ai still needs to learn to withdraw when taking bad casualties... this is probably still my main gripe about this game. Thanks for the constant patches though!

melee dragging please needs to be fixed in time for full release it is probably the most frustrating complaint I still have.  Just about everything else has been fixed which is great.   I am still running into the issue where a unit's movement orders are cancelled after a new phase of a battle begins.   

• Like 2

Just finished my first play of chickamauga as csa and I lost on day one because I ran out of time capturing the final crossing. I was very cautious trying to limit my casualties and dealing with the endless skirmishers. I think the visibility system could do with improvement because I found that my troops at the southern Ford could not see the entrenched defenders until they were almost on top of them ( I had to run my brigade across because I could not use charge until halfway across the Ford), my supporting artillery being useless with nothing to target.  Not just in this case but also in other battles like at the start of gettysburg I find that I can be shot at but cannot return fire because my units can't see the enemy. This was a time before smokeless gunpowder had been invented so the act of firing would give away your position. Now by 1863 in the game all enemy units have long range rifles and seem to me to be able to see me before I see them. I find this really frustrating because I am trying to manage my army through battles where my losses are not being replaced and I am forced to get on top of the enemy before I can see them and return fire. At chickamauga and other battles like Fredericksburg I get bombarded by invisible artillery well within range of my own artillery but with no ability to counter fire because they are outside visibility/fog of war. Artillery are big noisy things when firing so should give away .their position.

My recommendation is to increase visibility range and/or to make units that are firing visible because they give away their position. It is hard to describe the frustration of watching your carefully managed troops be cut down by a deadly invisible attacker less than 200 metres away from you. 

Also perhaps you could identify the presence of a unit but not its strength by having a plain unit symbol until you get closer to allow you to return fire but representing the unknown element of not being able to identify the unit giving away its position just from firing when in cover. You could make firing at unidentified units less accurate to represent your troops just firing at the smoke traces and not being able to pick out proper targets, this would prevent the feature being overpowered against skirmishers.

Edited by waldopbarnstormer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Don't Escrow Taxes said:

melee dragging please needs to be fixed in time for full release it is probably the most frustrating complaint I still have.  Just about everything else has been fixed which is great.   I am still running into the issue where a unit's movement orders are cancelled after a new phase of a battle begins.   

Yes, the cancelling of orders keeps catching me out. I end up with reinforcements I had already ordered to move, sitting on the map edge after the new phase starts.

47 minutes ago, waldopbarnstormer said:

This was a time before smokeless gunpowder had been invented so the act of firing would give away your position.

Totally agree with this entire post. To add my bit, the Union in particluar made extensive use of signals posts to detect and report distant enemy movements (miles away) by telegraph, as well as balloons for the same purpose. The complete fog of war is rather extreme. It would be more realistic to have some rough idea of some of the enemy's  dispositions (with detail and accuracy affected by the player's Recon level) and to be able to target both known and suspected enemy positions; particularly trench lines, walls and woods. 'Recon by fire' is the phrase, IIRC.

• Like 1

I'm also having a problem with skirmishers.  Mine fire a volley then retreat out of range a long way, while the AI skirmishers stand and fight.  This makes it very hard to use my skirmishers to screen my brigades as they often retreat behind my main line.

Do skirmishers need to retreat to reload like they do or should they rely on their dispersed formation to minimize casualties from fire?  I'm not sure what they did historically but moving forwards and backwards seems like it would be a nightmare to maintain order.

Not sure if it would work, but how about having skirmishers stand their ground like brigades, which makes it easier to form a skirmish line and screen other troops.  Then make it easier for skirmishers to use the fall back order close to the enemy to represent them skirmishing backwards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lannes said:

Can I DEMOTE my Generals? I have too many Major Generals. I would rather if I could control promotions to Major General and above.

I'm starting to fill up with Major Generals in my Union campaign to the point where about 5 or six are commanding brigades (all Div commanders are MG, and all Corp are Lt Gen).

Suggestion: player should be able to "sell" officers back for money or rep (simulates transferring them to another theater to assume command there).

• Like 2

I'll have to agree with the current beta skirmishers being rather lousy, seems that they hang around with the calvary units too much and are picking up their tactics. Constant attention to cav and skirm units is getting pretty tedious. I tend to reject building cav units now, but am hard headed about splitting out skirm units and end up babysitting them. 

Edited by jimcarrel
  • Like 1

Started to play the campaign found some bugs:

First minor battle - Stuart is shown to be in first division but under his unit information it says he is part of the third division - BUG TYPE INCONSISTENCY

Bull run campaign - When units show up (scripted units like Jackson and Johnston) they do not have a unit bar for there army. ( for example my first corps has a unit bar called corps 1 and when I client it it selects all units under that corps, the scripted units don't have this) -  This really needs to be fixed.

21 hours ago, Redmarkus4 said:

Totally agree with this entire post. To add my bit, the Union in particluar made extensive use of signals posts to detect and report distant enemy movements (miles away) by telegraph, as well as balloons for the same purpose. The complete fog of war is rather extreme. It would be more realistic to have some rough idea of some of the enemy's  dispositions (with detail and accuracy affected by the player's Recon level) and to be able to target both known and suspected enemy positions; particularly trench lines, walls and woods. 'Recon by fire' is the phrase, IIRC.

I think that this could be a great use of the Recon level. I don't know if it has been fixed in the last few patches, but Rceon was pretty useless.

The problem that I could imagine is that artillery might become overpowered as they don't have their own LOS in this game. So if you just have telegraph officers providing you reconnaissance (historically accurate) it might end up with artillery being able to shoot enemy units way too easily (unrealistic physics). I think this idea is definitely worth testing though.

Edited by CaptainKanundrum
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CaptainKanundrum said:

I think that this could be a great use of the Recon level. I don't know if it has been fixed in the last few patches, but Rceon was pretty useless.

The problem that I could imagine is that artillery might become overpowered as they don't have their own LOS in this game. So if you just have telegraph officers providing you reconnaissance (historically accurate) it might end up with artillery being able to shoot enemy units way too easily (unrealistic physics). I think this idea is definitely worth testing though.

Actually, the standard methodology for artillery in that period was to take bearings on likely targets while there was still good visibility, and then to fire blind into the smoke once the field was obscured. Many artillery casualties resulted from this kind of blind fire, according to my reading. The kind of 'over open sights' events seen during Pickett's charge, for example, were less common, though they did happen regularly, of course.

One implication of this is that friendly fire was a major problem, something that the game doesn't yet address. This reminds me of one of my only compaints about the game so far; the way that other units can volley fire at enemy units already in melee with friendly units. I think that the effect of such fire in those situations should be reduced by 75%, to represent firers taking careful aim at individual targets.

RECON

Recon could represent a combination of things, giving various advantages:

• Strategic intelligence - boosts the command radius of all Corps commanders.
  • Local intelligence from spies and the local population (add this as a skill that players can select for each Corps commander). Adds 5% to unit speed.
  • Signals, ballons and patrolling - boosts unit resilience to reductions in morale during battle; they know more about the situation and have more trust in their officers as a result.

As a matter of visibility, and the surrounding environment permitting, pretty much every artillery unit had binoculars or telescopes/spyglasses so they could clearly pick out targets at distance, and while they pretty much had to guess at the range, (some cases with advanced preparation distances were premeasured,) they usually had a pretty fair line of sight.

I also feel that the fire arcs could use some fine tuning, many times the arc appears to be drastically far too short for the weapons being employed.

On 11/3/2017 at 2:14 AM, 'Sharpe said:

I love the new "fixed enemy strength" option! Thanks for listening to community feedback on this one. But can we get this option for Medium difficulty as well? I don't want to have the other bonuses associated with Easy difficulty, but I also do want Fixed Enemy Strength so my victories feel like they matter in the larger campaign. 

It has the normal equivalent of men but is placed in easy since it will turn out fairly easy as your army gets bigger and bigger and you can crush the small AI brigades with your large 2.500 brigades.

3 minutes ago, Koro said:

It has the normal equivalent of men but is placed in easy since it will turn out fairly easy as your army gets bigger and bigger and you can crush the small AI brigades with your large 2.500 brigades.

What about when you show up to Antietam as the CSA with 35,000 on Legendary (due to previous losses/low recruit) and the Union still brings 120,000?

Just now, Fred Sanford said:

What about when you show up to Antietam as the CSA with 35,000 on Legendary (due to previous losses/low recruit) and the Union still brings 120,000?

What about it? Legendary is legendary, no? 

1 hour ago, Koro said:

I would just like to enable fixed army size mode without the additional benefits from easy mode (additional recruits + gold). I would also like to test fixed army size on the major general difficulty too to see how the reduced gold + recruits balances 

Please, for the love of all that is holy, can we get audio notifications of battlefield events? I just lost Shiloh because I lost track of Jenkins, and he rode halfway across the map, grabbed the Pittsburg Landing VP which had just appeared, and won the game for the CSA despite the Confederates taking 5-to-1 casualties. By the time I realized what had happened, I couldn't get units there in time to stop it.

2 hours ago, Aetius said:

Please, for the love of all that is holy, can we get audio notifications of battlefield events? I just lost Shiloh because I lost track of Jenkins, and he rode halfway across the map, grabbed the Pittsburg Landing VP which had just appeared, and won the game for the CSA despite the Confederates taking 5-to-1 casualties. By the time I realized what had happened, I couldn't get units there in time to stop it.

While I agree with the need for audio notifications, there IS actually a not straightforward audio cue for Union on Shiloh that someone's trying to ninja Pittsburg Landing. It's the gunboats shooting into the fog of war, since they automatically target anybody in range.

2 hours ago, Aetius said:

I just want audio cues for when your units get flanked, Waver, Rout, or spot new enemy units - I seriously can't keep track of the battlefield and everything that happens in it at once, especially massive ones like Chickamauga or Antietam where the left and right flank are literally a dozen screens apart.

Edited by The Soldier