Game-Labs Forum

Make Demasting great again! (5th-1st rates)

Hey everyone! 

So, i'm a big fan of demasting. It is one of the things that take alot of practice to master. It is more skill based than Chain and it requires you to be close to your target. 

However, atm demasting is not really a viable tactic. You barely see anyone demast other players in the OW and i personally find this to be very sad. 

I'd be more than happy to suggest some test values for mast thickness/cannon penetration so that we can have it implemented on the test server for testing.
But alas, i'm not doing the work unless the Devs will let us test these values. 

PS. I'm not saying we should make demasting OP again (As it was before the great carronade nerf). However i am saying it should be just as viable a tactic as chaining. 
- Also, i am aware that you can, on the test server, weaken the structure of the ship and then demast. However this does not seem "fair" compared to chaining being effective from the get go. 

So please, if you support the idea of making demasting viable again, please like this post and/or comment below with your own opinion! 
Thank you very much for reading. 
Cheers. 
Tommy Shelby. 

(I am only talking about 5th to 1st rates here. I have absolutely no idea about the smaller ships.) 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Anolytic said:

A Santissima  can completely demast a L'Ocean in 3 broadsides (1 for each mast). I'm not sure it needs to be more powerful.

Perhaps 1st rates dont need tweaking then. I haven't tested it in a 1st rate for quite some time. 
However, how often do you see this happen? 

And what about smaller ships? 5th to 3rd rates? How often do see someone demast one of these? (I personally haven't seen anyone demast anything since the great Carronade nerf, everyone are just chaining because it is just as effective, easier to do and can be done without putting yourself at risk of being raked/hull bashed). 

Chain dropoff damage is reduced on the testserver, as well as ball damage to the sails.

Imo different tactics of disabling a ship should be more rewarding than broadsiding your enemy x times until he sinks. That said, demasting/raking/destroying rudder/destroying cannons should be viable tactics. An instant buff to demasting without changing thickness/penetration values would be to cut mast repairs (you could still repair/restrengthen them if theyre damaged, but not mount a completely new mast). Another buff could be to make masts have a drag on the ship. It doesnt have to be a physical drag (lets not overstress the game engine), just a speed and turning malus (mast must be cut completely to restore maneuverability) as well as a boarding malus (crew will be disorientated and moral shocked after losing a mast).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

Perhaps 1st rates dont need tweaking then. I haven't tested it in a 1st rate for quite some time. 
However, how often do you see this happen? 

This is from one of my recent visits to PvP2. I did a duel against @Jean Pual Vilvenue, and he immobilised my ship before I was even able to fire off a broadside. My L'Ocean was Mahogany and British Refit I think, so not fir or anything. After he did it to me I saw him post screenshots of having done the same to other captains, so he's got it down to a science.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Anolytic said:

This is from one of my recent visits to PvP2. I did a duel against @Jean Pual Vilvenue, and he immobilised my ship before I was even able to fire off a broadside. My L'Ocean was Mahogany and British Refit I think, so not fir or anything. After he did it to me I saw him post screenshots of having done the same to other captains, so he's got it down to a science.

Gf sir. Demasting is what I do now, rarely do I go for the hull anymore in PvP. Definitely not at all easy to demast in 1 broadside.

10 hours ago, TommyShelby said:

Hey everyone! 

So, i'm a big fan of demasting. It is one of the things that take alot of practice to master. It is more skill based than Chain and it requires you to be close to your target. 

However, atm demasting is not really a viable tactic. You barely see anyone demast other players in the OW and i personally find this to be very sad. 

I'd be more than happy to suggest some test values for mast thickness/cannon penetration so that we can have it implemented on the test server for testing.
But alas, i'm not doing the work unless the Devs will let us test these values. 

PS. I'm not saying we should make demasting OP again (As it was before the great carronade nerf). However i am saying it should be just as viable a tactic as chaining. 
- Also, i am aware that you can, on the test server, weaken the structure of the ship and then demast. However this does not seem "fair" compared to chaining being effective from the get go. 

So please, if you support the idea of making demasting viable again, please like this post and/or comment below with your own opinion! 
Thank you very much for reading. 
Cheers. 
Tommy Shelby. 

(I am only talking about 5th to 1st rates here. I have absolutely no idea about the smaller ships.) 

Demasting can be done EASILY even with the recent buff as long as you understand HOW to do it. Aiming at the masts is not good enough, it requires more than just that.

Edited by Jean Pual Vilvenue
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, maturin said:

Welllll...?

Experience and practice being the main. But knowing and judging distance, speed, when to turn your ship during a broadside, when to manual sail mid broadside and turn at the same time, when to turn the rudder and release it then turn it again. It can take a mistake on timing up to 0.1 seconds to completely render a demast attempt ineffective.

Charged shot should be used as well.

Edited by Jean Pual Vilvenue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

After reading this I know he is obviously cheating.

SO your saying you have been demasted several times like a newb?  

I'll back what Jean has said about experience. I suck at trying to do the big boy demasting, but I can take a shallow water ships mast out pretty fast with a fellow shallow water ship by doing one shot at a time instead.   That is easy for me, but might be hard for others.  Just cause you can't do it doesn't make it a hack.

3 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

After reading this I know he is obviously cheating.

To accuse someone of cheating, even if it is a 'witty quip' is unacceptable without proper evidence to support the fact. I personally know Jean Pual very well, have fought with him and against him and can honestly say he does not cheat.

Do not throw false accusations around like a spoiled child throws a tantrum.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Intrepido said:

I was joking, relax.

The amount of effort I have actually put in practicing this in my own time, all alone, figuring out mechanics and endless hours to finally "somewhat" master the art, and then being called a cheater is actually gut-wrenching remark.

I do have a video on demasting reserved for my OWN clan members only, and now I am only more reluctant on letting people like you actually see it.

Thank you for the comment and good day..

Ship        | Damage (one broadside) | bottom mast hp  |     ratio     |
            |     double charge      | without bonuses |               |
------------|------------------------|-----------------|---------------|
L'Ocean     |         2485           |     500         | 2485/500=4.97 |
Trincomalee |          962           |     484         |  962/484=1.99 |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

L'Ocean can more easy broke mast another L'Ocean than Trincomalee to Trincomalee.

So i have a question.

Did anybody broke mast of Trincomalee from another Trincomalee with one broadside?

Edited by qw569
  • Like 3