Game-Labs Forum

Fleet command problem

Sir Richard Bolitho

Question

I have two rattlesnakes in my fleet and when I instruct them to de mast they instead attack the hull and attempt to sink the enemy. This has happened on every mission I have attempted. I select each ship in the fleet in turn and click on "de mast". Am I doing something wrong? Sometimes when I check I see "free mode" indicated. The instructions to de mast are ignored and the default( I assume) destroy is enacted.

3 answers to this question

Free Mode is the default. Have you tried selecting one fleet ship at a time, then click on the ship you want demasted, and then choose any of the other options. Let it do so for a minute or so, then do the same order to select demast. i'm wondering if maybe the fleet are already loaded with ball, and forget to switch to chain, but that maybe it will catch up to your order if you switch it up?
A different tip: if you want them firing ball and find your fleet ships always getting in your way, tell them to stop in the beginning, once you pass them choose follow option. Usually they will follow rather well saving their shots for the right moment after your broadside. (It works much better if your ship and the fleet ships have relatively the same top speed, and that you've given them about a full ship length distance behind you before telling them to follow.)