Game-Labs Forum

first, sorry for my bad englsih thats not my main language....

i have searching in the forum, etc but dont found post on it

winds in open sea... are you working for more realistic changes?

because ( im news and dont have sail all the caribean but in a realistic game a wind turning in same time 360% from right to left its totaly impossible )

in OW and normaly in fight the wind can change, here not... ( i dont thing wind can stop etc because i thing thats can a little " too much")

maybe a random wind change in base of the real wind in this area  can be fun and improve sailing,  and can be more realistic ( with little change because in real the wind in this area are a lot of time est to west ... ) 

post-24443-0-14095800-1477641539_thumb.gif

post-24443-0-27289800-1477641554_thumb.png

• Like 1

I agree, though I have gotten use to the circular wind pattern, it is very unrealistic. Also it is easy to get use to it and gives no challenge with variability. If you find yourself heading into the wind, all you need to do is fall off to the "Lee" (?) (starboard) side of the wind and wait for it to rotate away, at which time you can fall back to course, which after a while this becomes rote.

In addition, I remember the weather patterns and conditions were much more drastic in past versions of the game. I understand there are reasons for calming down the weather, but is there a better "happy medium" that could be met.

Given a changing wind pattern, and slightly more aggressive weather conditions, the OW environment would be much more interesting and challenging to navigate. That change would aggravate an already daunting challenge of distance to be covered, granted, but who says sailing from Borracca to Atwood should be a quick and easy task. One trip that has clear skies should be harrowed with a trip fraught with bad weather.

Having said all this, I temper my statement with the admiration to the developers for creating, in my opinion, a majestic, beautiful and exciting game that I am sure is very difficult to satisfy all it's vivacious, voracious and thrill hungry players. The Dev's have done a great job so far.

- Thanks

• 3 months later...

Having the wind go in a predictable circle is a very dull and uninteresting game mechanic. The game would be much more dynamic, interesting, and unpredictable if real world weather data could be imported in to the game to make sailing more interesting, perhaps by getting data from a system such as this https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-73.37,20.55,1233/loc=-71.302,24.559

or NOAA weather data,

• Like 3

While I'm hoping for the implementation of different wind strengths and more variable weather. Real world wind data would not make for good gameplay. The Coriolis effect, among other things, means that the wind in the Caribbean is mostly blowing towards the west afaik. So the wind would practically always be blowing in the same directions, and going from one place on the map to another you would almost always have the wind against you or with you conversely. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anolytic said:

While I'm hoping for the implementation of different wind strengths and more variable weather. Real world wind data would not make for good gameplay. The Coriolis effect, among other things, means that the wind in the Caribbean is mostly blowing towards the west afaik. So the wind would practically always be blowing in the same directions, and going from one place on the map to another you would almost always have the wind against you or with you conversely. 

This has been done in other Caribbean Age of Sail games and it is a right royal pain in the hiney. It makes for some very long voyages by anything but direct routes to try to catch prevailing winds in the direction you want to go. Sounds cool, but believe me it isn't. I *would* like a more natural feeling variation of wind direction and strength, but not prevailing trade winds, please no.

• Like 5

I see someone have been playing virtual regatta and the rorc caribbean 600 recently isn't it ? ;)

I would love that, as i would love some sailing things in game, so we have to do things while in ow, other than scaning the horizon, chatting, ts or alt-tab.

This could force people to sail through waters they would avoid right now, but such implementation would impose the possibility to define multiple waypoints.

4 minutes ago, Baptiste Gallouédec said:

I see someone have been playing virtual regatta and the rorc caribbean 600 recently isn't it ? ;)

I would love that, as i would love some sailing things in game, so we have to do things while in ow, other than scaning the horizon, chatting, ts or alt-tab.

This could force people to sail through waters they would avoid right now, but such implementation would impose the possibility to define multiple waypoints.

Players don't sail in OW as return from battles is now TP. Only outgoing traffic. That is minus 50%.

Short ROE means no action and pvp. Players hang in ports and wait for easy prey. 

Empty OW. 

I know that, but even me, who enjoyed the idea of sailing for hours from Fort royal to Louisiana, who played a little virtual regatta, even me i find OW sailing boring no matter how fast our ships can go.

I would be ok if naval action was just instanced battles ala total war and i would play that, but the idea of an open world offer superb possibilities, instead OW turned into a phone-game level of emptyness and boredom with the occasional chance of being ganked or chasing a runner for hours.

So make ow a game, not just a pretty but empty feature. Those who don't like sailing in ow can still just teleport, who care. If you have no plan to bring life to ow, better just get rid of it and let everyone enjoy the superb naval action battles instances.

So the wind would practically always be blowing in the same directions, and going from one place on the map to another you would almost always have the wind against you or with you conversely. 

Thus introducing route-planning and strategy, and adding natural texture to conquest.

Why am I the only person in the universe who recognizes how prevailing winds makes sailing easier, not harder? It means that sailing upwind is a choice, rather than a RNG lottery that will unpredictably frustrate you half the time.

All you have to do is trigger the ssscccaaaaaary realism part of people's brains, and they stop thinking.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rediii said:

Make a suggestion how to make OW fun. I have no idea how this could be achieved

I am not a fan of adding micro-management "busy work" like having to manually adjust the sails, or dealing with crew discipline, etc...

But several people (including me) have suggested random things found on islands and mainland beaches.

• stranded castaways frantically waving, burning signal fires, that turn out to be rich merchants, or diplomats offering reward for transport to a specific (maybe unfriendly) port.
  • beached shipwrecks with treasure aboard (a'la sealed bottle treasure contents)
  • lone grass hut with evidence of long dead occupant leaving behind a treasure map (equivalent to sealed bottle)
  • the list goes on... you get the idea.
  • possibly just a few of these existing at any one time on the entire server. A replacement doesn't randomly spawn until one is found.

There are ways to improve OW without a *huge* amount of effort.

Edit: and these are WAYY more interesting and engaging than fishing, and actually encourage OW sailing.

Edited by Angus McGregor
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, maturin said:

Thus introducing route-planning and strategy, and adding natural texture to conquest.

Why am I the only person in the universe who recognizes how prevailing winds makes sailing easier, not harder? It means that sailing upwind is a choice, rather than a RNG lottery that will unpredictably frustrate you half the time.

All you have to do is trigger the ssscccaaaaaary realism part of people's brains, and they stop thinking.

Picture this, the wind across the *entire" southern coastline from Trinidad to Tampico is blowing strong and steady from east to west. Near impossible to make headway against. To sail eastward, you have to go north to the south coast of Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico and across to Antigua. If you're up there and want to sail westward, you've gotta go down to Costa Rica before it's remotely possible. That is not fun.

And no, for the most part the wind is only really frustrating in the OW for about a third of the time.

You think think people squawk about long sailing times now? IMO we'd be longing for, bitching for a return to, the current situation if tradewinds were ever implemented.

11 minutes ago, Angus McGregor said:

Picture this, the wind across the *entire" southern coastline from Trinidad to Tampico is blowing strong and steady from east to west. Near impossible to make headway against. To sail eastward, you have to go north to the south coast of Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico and across to Antigua. If you're up there and want to sail westward, you've gotta go down to Costa Rica before it's remotely possible. That is not fun.

And no, for the most part the wind is only really frustrating in the OW for about a third of the time.

You think think people squawk about long sailing times now? IMO we'd be longing for, bitching for a return to, the current situation if tradewinds were ever implemented.

When the wind rotates at a constant rate, you are guaranteed to spend 50% of your time heading upwind. And when you need to sail upwind, you can't do it AFK because the wind is always shifting about.

With a prevailing wind, it is much easier to get upwind, and the sensible captain will plan trips which, combined with teleports, will be predominately downwind. Less upwind sailing overall.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I also hate the random winds that will flip after a combat mission. It is also very important for piracy as in they're "prevailing winds". I think that you could somewhat localize weather patterns if only as a gimmick of the global scale where you have antarctic, arctic and as such cold and hot waters will wish to rotate along land masses causing winds (as they exchange temperatures). Thus in vast oceans you have actual traffic lanes without any need for random events for pvp to occur as you could for example cut off south western coast south of florida by parking at center of entry/exit currents (which would also mean strongest winds as in localized global scale of weather patterns), so simply sailing 100 meters to the coast or center of the whirlpool will not by any means let you just outrun enemies to closet port (that is wind near coast or center of the rotation will have quite unfavorable winds).  You may want to make larger amount of mini current systems- attachment below- since with the system you no longer have constant 30kn winds, so sailing upwind against 10knots or sailing across quarter of map to reach the other side of wind rotation to reach roundabout isn't cool, while 100kn winds will surely just drive any ship short of downwind in that exact direction :D. This also adds a lot of strategic value to places like north east islands at the corner since the northern wind system will put them on route to the west if you don't want to take the southern system.winds.thumb.jpg.009fcb0ac16f41adf6fa10861b93635c.jpg

Edited by janat08

• 2 months later...

Rather than arbitrary ship turn rates and BRs that are suspect of not being accurate at all and will be topic of arbitration for ages to come, perhaps instead adjust sailing physics where rated ships will struggle with insignificant winds to a degree where they are very much a waste in ports where you could speculate shouldn't experience much wind. You could perhaps even do away with all the random capture points as result of predictable winds making several points little to obnoxious, instead permitting capture of port after demolition of fort which anchors attackers so that they don't always start upwind, and successful defense so long as fort isn't taking damage. You could perhaps even make the whole thing zen by requiring that certain amount of damage is produced depending on enemy fleet size as apposed to defending fleet size (by cannon poundage), which means you don't need to go as clan somewhere just because you have to and be there for that same reason. In small enough port (that is small winds) you could probably could disturb first rate enough that he would fail. It sure enough could still lead to attackers trolling defenders, but I trust you could come up with some math that would ensure that theres equalibrium with variables like firepower involved and such. In addition instead of hostility system you could require that fort is rebuilt requiring resources proportionate to amount of pounds of cast iron it took, requiring that there's also a fleet of indymans somewhere nearby lest defenders chose to regroup and kill of defenders with indyman having to travel through battle instance towards the port.

Edited by janat08