Game-Labs Forum

National news rework 3 - discussion

admin

Not again.. but seriously.

GL forum is a development forum. Some captains feel a need to roleplay as a bad person and we dont blame them. But sometimes this spills over to development forum where have rules because its not Nam 

As a result it hurts both development forums and NN section. Here is what we are going to do as a result:

• National news section will be closed to the general public.
  • National newsmaker forum category will be created (it might include youtubers, streamers and bloggers too)

Only newsmakers will be able to post news in the National news. Rules are under development and will be posted shortly. We will start accepting applications newsmakers somewhere within 1-2 weeks.

For those who would like to talk about freedom of speech we would like to remind that our contract is to provide you a game for a good price but not a mic. We want respect between members on our platform and thats also free speech

We understand that sometimes you want to say what you want without any obstruction. For such free expression we recommend visiting Naval Action Reddit with supposedly no moderation whatsoever. 

link https://www.reddit.com/r/NavalAction/

• Like 14

Thanks! This was long overdue.

The National News section has devolved into base trolling, racism and shouting matches. And it has spilled over a lot into other sections of the forum, to such an extent that many players I know do not want to post their suggestions or opinions about the direction of the game because of all the flaming and trolling that goes on from some members even outside the National News. I myself also stopped using this forum actively for a long time, because it was just a shitstorm and nothing serious.

The forum has become highly unfriendly to players who use English as a second language, and to anyone who does not belong to the "club" of trolls and cheerleaders who think they alone own the game and wish to limit open discussion of mechanics solutions by bullying and flaming.

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Pelennor said:

@admin Sometimes, I really don't get you.

You don't have to get me, and we don't have to get you. We offered you a game for a good price (through steam). That was a deal. Nothing else.
We don't have to get each other at all :)

On the serious note
This is a development forum and NN uses up 80% of moderation time - th time that can instead be spent on clearing things in game development topic and collecting and structuring feedback.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, admin said:

You don't have to get me, and we don't have to get you. We gave our game to steam so they can sell it to you for a good price. That was a deal. We dont have to get each other at all :)

Best community management ever. Screenshoot.

• Like 2

Just now, Pelennor said:

Best community management ever. Screenshoot.

The most honest community management mate.. we promised to be honest to you

We sold users the game so they can play the best age of sail game in the market (with flaws of course)
Users did not pay to troll others on my forum, users did not pay to call me or you names. Would you let me pay you 40 dollars and call you names? No..of course not 
We have no desire to maintain NN here on GL forum in its current form. New one will be better. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Lord Vicious said:

\

ps: i am a streamer soooo..... 

we are planning to add the content creator section and give rewards for you guys..   ))) we wont ever try to moderate YOUR content on YOUR channel of course

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, admin said:

The most honest community management mate.. we promised to be honest to you

We sold users the game so they can play the best age of sail game in the market (with flaws of course)
Users did not pay to troll others on my forum, users did not pay to call me or you names. Would you let me pay you 40 dollars and call you names? No..of course not 
We have no desire to maintain NN here on GL forum in its current form. New one will be better. 

I was happily providing that service, charge free i wanna add 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, admin said:

You don't have to get me, and we don't have to get you. We offered you a game for a good price (through steam). That was a deal. Nothing else.
We don't have to get each other at all :)

On the serious note
This is a development forum and NN uses up 80% of moderation time - th time that can instead be spent on clearing things in game development topic and collecting and structuring feedback.

I get limiting the moderation time but you might wanna rethink your statement!!! You can develop the best game in the whole wide world and with no community to play it that means absolutely nothing! Community interaction and management is as much a part of game development as is coding and background research!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

I get limiting the moderation time but you might wanna rethink your statement!!! You can develop the best game in the whole wide world and with no community to play it that means absolutely nothing! Community interaction and management is as much a part of game development as is coding and background research!!!

Hey Captain

You forgot something. We love our community and love our customers. For example we let the community the opportunity to express themselves through the game. Our trailer was made by the community member and all ships you see in the trailer are all real community members. All screens on webpage and steam page were made by the community (for example at least 30% of them were made by community members and veterans Slik and Wind and the rest were collected from OW beautiful places topic and best screenshots collection in one of the sections. That's a family relationship. Our community is worth more than some single customer who is disrupting the peace in the community. And that's an important point.

So when someone start demanding something from the community without offering something in return we will always remind them that

• One person does not make a community
    • and
  • That individual has paid money to only play the game. He has not paid the game to talk shit to us or other community members. We did not give him that right and will just kick him out making the community better.

That individual is not valuable to the community. Its time we communicate with you about this clearly and its a good thing!

Now.. 
The number of reports for moderation coming from NN is too big. People report posts a lot. That means that a lot of community members are not satisfied with NN content and amount of time required to read all posts and all reports is huge (even with so-called dwindling online). 

Thus

NN interferes with our work to make the game better and forums more useful for making the game better - NN has no relation to these goals and either has to change or be closed down. We proposed to change it so you can still read the curated news from your nations or from enemy nations. 
Discuss ;)

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, admin said:

Hey Captain

You forgot something. We love our community and love our customers. For example we let the community the opportunity to express themselves through the game. Our trailer was made by the community member and all ships you see in the trailer are all real community members. All screens on webpage and steam page were made by the community (for example at least 30% of them were made by community members and veterans Slik and Wind). That's a family relationship. Our community is worth more than some single customer who is disrupting the peace in the community. And that's an important point.

So when someone start demanding something from the community without offering something in return we will always remind them that

• One person does not make a community
    • and
  • That individual has paid money to only play the game. He has not paid the game to talk shit to us or other community members. We did not give him that right and will just kick him out making the community better.

That individual is not valuable to the community. Its time we communicate with you about this clearly and its a good thing!

Now.. 
The number of reports for moderation coming from NN is too big. People report posts a lot. That means that a lot of community members are not satisfied with NN content and amount of time required to read all posts and all reports is huge (even with so-called dwindling online). 

Thus

NN interferes with our work to make the game better and forums more useful for making the game better - NN has no relation to these goals and either has to change or be closed down. We proposed to change it so you can still read the curated news from your nations or from enemy nations. 
Discuss ;)

you do realize NN is whats left in this community to do between a pb and another since there is nothing else to do in game right now? kill it is not a smart idea , many of us spend a lot of time reading nn and writing while waiting for game content, also is not that if you kill NN ppl not gonna flame they simply gonna flame in all other section dispersed.

you kill nn you kill  a lot of activity and community meeting point, also tbh 70% of moderators actions are made improperly, disproportioned or biased since they part of clans and they tend to part for one side or go by sympathy.  Check steam bad reviews a good 30% mention the bad behavior of moderators team both in forums and game.

IN eve online who do game master role are forbidden from playng for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Vicious said:

you kill nn you kill  a lot of activity and community meeting point, also tbh 70% of moderators actions are made improperly, disproportioned or biased since they part of clans and they tend to part for one side or go by sympathy.  Check steam bad reviews a good 30% mention the bad behavior of moderators team both in forums and game.

We stand by all the bans we do in game and here. bans on forum are very rare. bans in game are 100% for mentioning player mothers or sisters in a negative light. Those bans are issued every week. Some of those reviewers could be issued temporary bans by mistake  (we all make mistakes). But most of those reviewers you mention are people who shit on others get punished and then cry about the so-called professionalism in return. Community reports such people and we ban them. And most of those reviews are very strange.

For example - one recent review - the person calls devs/mods fascist for not letting him post. He did not even know that all posts are pre-moderated to reduce penis enlargement spam and 2 first posts must be approved by mods. He claimed its fascism. 80% or something found it helpful. 

Community helped us to remove such reviews before - when someone lied about us you took action. This post below was initiated by a community member who was appaled that someone has lied in the review saying we have premium content for sale in game. That review was flagged and dissapeared.

Its a two way street LV.
I see no reason to keep NN for the moderation reasons. Someone calls a person mother a really really bad name. We moderate him. He goes to reviews and claims we are fascists. NN currently escalates often to a need of moderation. What have you as a promoter of NN section done to reviews who call us fascists? Only community can flag them. we cant. 

Because you dont remove those reviews by flagging we dont see a reason to escalate the problem even further. No NN - nothing to moderate -Less negativity reviews about moderation.

if you got my hint you can save NN.

4 hours ago, admin said:

On the serious note

I see where you coming from removing NN. Often topics and posts there are a disgrace. Probably a good thing. Having said that this section allowed people to role-play which otherwise they cant do in game.
My understanding was that NN was created to ease General Discussion forum.

Have you considered that these type of posts would simply shift to General Discussions forum and you still going to moderate same number of posts?

19 minutes ago, koltes said:

I see where you coming from removing NN. Often topics and posts there are a disgrace. Probably a good thing. Having said that this section allowed people to role-play which otherwise they cant do in game.
My understanding was that NN was created to ease General Discussion forum.

Have you considered that these type of posts would simply shift to General Discussions forum and you still going to moderate same number of posts?

thats why we said we will invite newsmakers to apply. (like newspapers hired writers)
NN will be curated and still written by nations. But it will act as a 18th century newspaper with propaganda and such - BUT not as a forum. 

also - why cant they roleplay in game?

• Like 4

Just now, admin said:

thats why we said we will invite newsmakers to apply. like newspapers hire writers. 
NN will be curated and still written by nations. But it will act as a 18th century newspaper with propaganda and such - BUT not as a forum. 

Thats cool!