Game-Labs Forum

Raids explained - forthcoming feature

Raids

They will provide an opportunity for a group of people to raid and rob any port in the Caribbean. 

Ports for raids will be defended by a random number of NPC ships depending on several factors from city size to port status or other parameters. Basically you can get lucky and find a rich lightly defended port or you might have to fight through 20 ships and find dirty socks. Sometimes letters will drop telling that certain ports have good resources stocked and in this case you are better of not linking that letter to chat as the port will be raided. 

But there is a PVP twist. Raids can be invaded. 
Any player of the allied nation who owns the port can join the instance and take a NPC bot ship helping them defend the port from the raid.

This can be done by two methods. 

• You can enter the raid on defending side from the raided port
  • You can enter the raid using invasion ticket (available for battle ensigns in the admiralty)

Successful raids give City keys (marks of conquest) and port resources. Port resources are split for all participants so the less captains you bring the more rewards you get. You also have to get them to the nearest friendly port after a raid unless you are in a raiding trading ship with smuggler flag. 

• Like 42

1.  What determines size of city?  (Number of visits by player ships?)

2.  Do raid tickets allow you to jump into a raid defense from port?  (If so, this could alleviate some concerns where people want to be able to play for just an hour, but don't have time to hunt.  A net gain, I'd argue.)

3.  Do successful defenders get any rewards?

Will Raids be announced when they are formed so that the defending nation has time for its players to get in position to intervene? I strongly recommend this - otherwise you're going to get sneak attack raids, and no defenders who happen to be passing by and see the instance will want to jump into a battle solo against 20 enemy players.

But, if you announce that a raid will be happening at X port in 45 minutes, then you will see more PvP.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Donnerschock said:

please tell me the motivation pirates would have to actually raid a port when its mostly only PVE and you only can fill your hold of your frigate (only 500-750 hold). In the current economy we have there is no point in doing such things when you can easily let your alt produce for you.

holds for combat ships are not final and will change during the wipe (less slots and weight). If you want to raid the port and take a lot of goods - bring an indiaman. + you will need those City keys for Fleet edition ships and upgrades.

Ps maybe mark of conquest is indeed better than city key. I got used to it as a working title.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Stilgar said:

That's a start. Now we need to work the way from PvE down to mainly PvP raiding. How about: allow defebders to join (just as in PB) and then fill remaining slots (or BR) with AI ships ?

how about no? Its just harder to do that way + you want to raid now.. you dont care if defenders join or not

but when they join you will not see a difference. It will still be top acorne fighting you. Fun for him, better opponent for you

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Donnerschock said:

Sorry, but, please get sober before you post in this forum as a developer. I asked why should i bother to raid a port when I only can carry away hold of 500 and you answer that you will gonna reduce the hold of combat ships even more!? And yes, an Indiaman is the perfect ship to fight PvE, raid the Port and sail back to homeport, kappa!

Read the response carefully. You will raid for city keys that you will want because some ships will only be available for city keys.
Also who said production will stay on the same level

Also.. wtf is your comment about sober? I don't drink mate. Watch your language

• Like 13

seams interesting dunno about the pvp components        better if they are fully pvp or pve

you raid engage npc + get counter raided so you need to fight  enemy players+npc    could be very hard,  prizes should be high then , is an experience we did with aggression farming was pretty bad 90% of time for team already engaged by npc

Edited by Lord Vicious

I will surely test it out, and I hope that this will work out good, but I feel a bit like this is just going to be more PvE-to-PvP content like hostility generation is. I fear that OP ships needed for RvR will only be available in exchange for those PvE marks of conquest. And most raids are probably going to happen during the night when the attacker can be reasonably sure that not many will spawn to defend.

Also as someone said, what is the reward/benefit to defenders for spawning into the battle?

Edited by Anolytic
  • Like 4

Is this a Pirate Faction only mechanic?  If not, is there going to be any different playing mechanic (other than the free for all battles) distinguishing pirates from nations?

Are the raids going to be pitched battles on OW or port battles with port guns included? 

Why bring retarded NPC to raids? This is not PvE server, stop this or don't add any raids at all. Also remove stupid RNG from raids, no one likes this RNG. People will get free ships for defense? Expect YOLO Leeroy Jenkins boarding, fireships, explosions...

Admin advices to hello kittying take Indiamans for raid to carry loot? I hope admin mistaken today's day with April's Fool.

Edited by sruPL

1 hour ago, TommyShelby said:

I must admit, i was hoping Raids were going to be PvP Focused. 

Still, it sounds interesting and while it may not be something i personally will enjoy, i'm sure many others will. :)

you cant make raids pvp focused because your group is waiting for your friends to come back to game but my group wants to raid now.
Its like dark souls. You go to the raid - and can get invaded. You dont like pve you invade others.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, sruPL said:

Why bring retarded NPC to raids? This is not PvE server, stop this or don't add any raids at all. Also removing stupid RNG from raids, no one likes this RNG. People will get free ships for defense? Expect YOLO Leeroy Jenkins boarding, fireships, explosions...

Admin advices to hello kittying take Indiamans for raid to carry loot? I hope admin mistaken today's day with April's Fool.

You don't like RNG, it could be true. But data shows differently. People enjoy varied rewards more. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, admin said:

You don't like RNG, it could be true. But data shows differently. People enjoy varied rewards more. 

Basically you can get lucky and find a rich lightly defended port or you might have to fight through 20 ships and find dirty socks.

I talk about this. Players will not be happy to fight 20-25 ships in raid for 1:30h and then find out that their reward is peace of crap worth nothing. Maybe make the reward 3 Snappers for that battle?

13 minutes ago, sruPL said:

I talk about this. Players will not be happy to fight 20-25 ships in raid for 1:30h and then find out that their reward is peace of crap worth nothing. Maybe make the reward 3 Snappers for that battle?

He talks about resources, they will be random based on the city size.  I think you will still get keys/ Citations after successful raid. Collecting these will give you permission to good boats and mods. Also letter drops for next Raid will tell you how much resources you can get from another port, so you can prepare Indiamans and loot it all. There also might be infrastructure damage based on Admin words...

People read it more carefully.

Edited by Ned Loe

2 hours ago, Lord Vicious said:

seams interesting dunno about the pvp components        better if they are fully pvp or pve

you raid engage npc + get counter raided so you need to fight  enemy players+npc    could be very hard,  prizes should be high then , is an experience we did with aggression farming was pretty bad 90% of time for team already engaged by npc

Hard is a must, unless you want people to farm Citations it all day long. 

Edited by Ned Loe

3 hours ago, admin said:

holds for combat ships are not final and will change during the wipe (less slots and weight). If you want to raid the port and take a lot of goods - bring an indiaman. + you will need those City keys for Fleet edition ships and upgrades.

Ps maybe mark of conquest is indeed better than city key. I got used to it as a working title.

One of the big problems with LOOT from Port battles and fleets and what not. If they give you more than your ship can hold you can't trade it to a group mate or others.  If you could trade the extra goods it would give a reason for some oen to bring an Indiman to support the group.  Hell would be nice if we had some of a SOL level merchant ship too.  Maybe a ship with half the cargo space of the INdiaman, but more guns so it can actually fight.

As for the raid syste...oh look more PvE content.  As you take more and more PvP content away.  What the point even going on the OW any more?  Most of us thought the raids would be more like the old flag system but better managment and only vs ports.   Maybe even 15 vs 15 so they are like small battles instead of the big port battles.   To be honest I would prefer  raid system like that for pirates to have a port for 3-5 days instead of doing the regional stuff.

• Like 7