Game-Labs Forum

Dutch Oven

OneEyedSnake

Operation: Dutch Oven
Begin Date: 16 Feb
End Date: TBD, or once the rats have been repelled and chased back to their rat den.
Location: South Antilles, Guiana, Dutch Antilles, South America (Any Dutch or French provinces)
Objectives:
    Primary - As a direct result of rats boasting, it requires the Dutch to purge the rat scourge, scuttle all their ships, and imprison and hang all rat captains caught in our waters.
    Secondary - Protect our trade routes and prevent the infestation of rats on the South American coast.

And we will actually post every screenshot for validation, rather than make up highly inflated numbers with no visual proof.

OVERALL BATTLE COUNT
DUTCH 4 : RATS 1

Kill Count
Encounter   Location          Rat Casualty                        Ship                 Captured/Sunk                                  Dutch Captain Credit
#1               Trinidad
#2               Orinoco           HazynatOr                         Santisima                   Sunk                                            [DWIC1]Powerpoints
#3               Trinidad           Daniel Kidd                       Bucentaure              Captured                   [TOVNM]Hendrick van der Decken
#4               Orinoco           Mike the Mongol               Constitution              Captured                                       [NPV]OneEyedSnake
                                           MoroSeneng                    Agamemnon             Captured                   [TOVNM]Hendrick van der Decken
#5               Orinoco           Didier Deschamps[FR]         Bellona                 Captured                   [TOVNM]Hendrick van der Decken

Encounter 1: Gulf of Paria, Trinidad
Dutch 3 (3 1st rates, 4 AI) vs Rats 3 (1 1st rate, 2 2nd rates, 1 AI)
Dutch win, rats ran
We found rats grinding a mission near Trinidad in the Gulf of Paria. The very moment we entered the engagement to protect our Dutch NPC Fleet, it was quite apparent the rats would run. And run they did, as fast as they could outside the range of our canon. What a shame. No pic needed as no rats stayed to fight.

Edited by van der Decken
  • Like 1

Good attitude - we want you to fight, hence why there is no secrecy about when the op is starting.
My only hope is that in order to keep the numbers of your deaths down you wont perma sit in ports.

We will be running the killboard and each kill will be documented by a screenshot. No screen - no kill rule. Its fair.
Good luck and en garde!

Koltes out...

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, koltes said:

Good attitude - we want you to fight, hence why there is no secrecy about when the op is starting.
My only hope is that in order to keep the numbers of your deaths down you wont perma sit in ports.

We will be running the killboard and each kill will be documented by a screenshot. No screen - no kill rule. Its fair.
Good luck and en garde!

Koltes out...

didnt get a screenshot but its on Joba's stream. Just had them run from a battle with a 3v3 player wise. Hope they dont do that everytime we get organized to attack. 

Just now, OneEyedSnake said:

didnt get a screenshot but its on Joba's stream. Just had them run from a battle with a 3v3 player wise. Hope they dont do that everytime we get organized to attack. 

yep, because 3 1st rates with 4 AI (3 1st/1 2nd) dutch against 2 2nd rates and one 1st rate is totally 3v3. got it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

yep, because 3 1st rates with 4 AI (3 1st/1 2nd) dutch against 2 2nd rates and one 1st rate is totally 3v3. got it.

Hold on, rats boast that they can win all the time under rated and with less ships. This was a fair fight, especially when the AI were left in rat's wake and they ran for the hills.

Just now, van der Decken said:

Hold on, rats boast that they can win all the time under rated and with less ships. This was a fair fight, especially when the AI were left in rat's wake and they ran for the hills.

Point I want to make is you're already skewing the numbers. Lets at least be honest about the numbers here. Ai or no AI, AI is not worthless, they do add some damage that otherwise would have not been there.

if the AI wasn't there, Joba and the rest would have fought no question.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Teutonic said:

Point I want to make is you're already skewing the numbers. Lets at least be honest about the numbers here. Ai or no AI, AI is not worthless, they do add some damage that otherwise would have not been there.

if the AI wasn't there, Joba and the rest would have fought no question.

I kdon't know how many AI were in there, but good point. I will keep numbers precise as I can. I added 5 AI?

Encounter 2: Cano Araguabisi, Orinoco
Dutch 9 / Brits 1 (4 1st rate, 1 2nd rate, 2 3rd rate. 1 AI Fleet, 2 NPC traders) vs Rats 5 (3 1st rate, 2 2nd rate)
Dutch loss, rat win
We gain found the rats raising hostility against the Dutch Orinoco. This time, we encountered them in the open world and had a good hour long battle with them. Altho we started with 10 ships, the 3 AI ships were sent to escape, leaving the battle 7 v 5 to make for a more fair engagement.
After so posturing by both sides trying to gain wind advantage, we soon split forces dragging 2 rats way off in the distance. Sadly we lost 2 ships soon after, and then our 2nd rate captain lost connection. It was some good line battle brawling with both sides hammering at each other sides. Unfortunately the war of attrition left us with only 2 ships left to fight off 4 rats who somehow stopped receiving any more damage. I must say, the rats sailed well to protect a little sliver of HP on those last 4 ships. After about an hour plus of fighting, our final 2 ships succumbed to the ocean.
Images in the spoiler....OP count updated.
[EDIT] Ned is right, I can't count. Fixed ship count.

C8TWWdm.jpg

VHNdq0A.jpg

cuhAgTQ.jpg

Edited by van der Decken

3 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Hide contents

There were 2 3rd rates that we see just to get an accurate number. I think you should recount the ships too it looks like there were 7v5. Not meaning as fighting words just helping.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Axel said:

There were 2 3rd rates that we see just to get an accurate number. I think you should recount the ships too it looks like there were 7v5. Not meaning as fighting words just helping.

Ssshhhh don't tell Ned I can't count. :) Thank you for keeping me honest. Edited.

These ops are certainly making the opportunities for PVP more plentiful. I like them although they do scare me. LOL. They are a great way for inexperienced, newer players like myself to bloody our swords. (Do the Pirates have any of those?) Here's my experiences over the last couple of days:

Encounter #1
I was heading alone to a 154 fleet mission when I spotted the crossed swords. I thought it was my mission but when I arrived, it was a Pirate v Dutch battle. As my Dutchies were a few BR down, I joined. I didn't pay enough attention when I tabbed and thought it was an AI vs AI battle that a player had abandoned. Even tho I was outgunned in my Connie vs much bigger ships, I decided to give it a go. They swarmed me and before I knew it, my rudder was gone and my armor was badly damaged. I thought I could limp off a little bit to repair but they stayed on me. Soon I was taking on water and my one dura gold Connie that a Clan mate had given me -- he'd taken it from Sweedish Cheese -- was at the bottom. Shipless and far from home, I bought a green Connie and started racing west.  (See Encounter #2) The day after, I see my name on the pirates' kill list. I asked who got me as I thought I'd only been facing AI. Jobaset informed me that it was Hazynat0r and that there had been at least 5 real pirates in my battle! I learned some lessons that day. Look more carefully when you tab to see battle composition and don't go into the middle of a 1st-3rd rate swarm by yourself in a Connie.

Encounter #2
As I pushed the pedal to the metal in my green Connie, I was hailed by Willis in his brand new Pirate costume. He was way in the distance but gaining on me at an angle in his Surprise(?). He wanted PVP. I wanted my officer to only lose one life that day. I might have been able to make it to the coast where some friendly AI fleets might have saved me but hell, what's the point of this game if not to PVP? I turned and engaged. I managed to get a few damaging broadsides into his sails and armor but just could not keep him off my tail and protect my rudder. I decided to disengage and make a run for it. Although his sails were down below 75%, I knew he had not used his repair. I think he ultimately let me go (thank you) as I would imagine he could have repaired sails and kept at it until I had to fight. It may have helped when I told him in chat that he would only be capturing a green Connie.

Encounter #3
I tend to do a lot of missions by myself as my fellow Dutch are usually doing higher level missions (to efficiently raise or lower hostility) than I can crew. I was in one such mission when -- after learning my lesson during Encounter #1 -- I tabbed for battle composition and see that Tigger had joined the battle. Scanning around, I see that he is engaging an AI way in the distance. As I was heavily engaged with the AI fleet in the main battle area, I kept fighting figuring I would have to either escape because I'd taken so much damage from the AI or deal with Tigger once he approached the main kerfuffle. I kept an eye on him. After a while, I noticed that he had escaped the battle. I don't know whether he just didn't notice me, he grew bored, or had taken too much damage, but that was a PVP that ALMOST happened.

Anyway, I hope both sides are enjoying these Operations and Counter-Operations as much as I am. I'm new so I don't know all the history and personalities, but I do hope that most of the smack talk is just that and you are having fun with this game and not getting angry. Hell, if we end up destroying all our pretty gold ships and lose all our officer lives, we can start throwing Naval Action stone blocks at each other. Yes, a breakup of the tri-alliance would offer more varied PVP options but I just don't see it happening. I've been told that the US would never stop their alliance with the British and it's doubtful enough Dutch would vote to switch over to a block alliance with all the other smaller nations. That would be especially difficult with the current voting mechanics.

Fair winds to all.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2017 at 9:49 PM, Teutonic said:

They have never been able to count, remember it's Dutch math.  Not to mention the Brits and US was bad about that.  "It was a 5 vs 5."  Look at the screen and it's actually a 15 vs 5 cause of all the AI.   Yah they don't count AI.  lol

Encounter 3: Mouth of Paria Gulf, Puerto de Espana
Dutch 1 (1 2nd rate) vs Rats 1 (1 2nd rate)
Dutch win, rat loss
Sailing in a St Pavel toward Puerto de Espana in an effort to defend our lands, I encountered a lone rat, Daniel Kidd, sailing his Bucentaure. After much circling and pounding each others' port sides, I made a bold move to change direction mid tack and circled back to close in for a boarding. After a few minutes, the battle was over and my prize was won.
OP updated

yplNbc1.jpg

• Like 3

Encounter 4: Santo Tome, Orinoco
Dutch 6 (2 4th rates, 3 AI) vs Rats 3 (2 4th rates, 1 AI)
Dutch win, rats loss
OneEyeSnake and van der Decken sailed to Santo Tome to prepare for the defense of our land again and found 2 rats staging themselves for the battle. We engage quick, hit some sails, on both. OneEye went broadside to broadside with Mike the Mongol. As Is sailed in close to Mike, I kept MoroSeneng tagged, in case he planned an escape. OneEye made a trick turn catching Mike in irons and I closed in for a boarding. His Connie was our prize. Then seeing MoroSeneng stuck in irons, I made quick way to him, but could not make a good landing, and actually pushed him out of chains. After chasing him down a bit, pinching him in between us to exchange some broadsides, I was finally able to catch him and turn him into irons again. A great bow raking from OneEye helped with crew shock making it a 2 shot kill before his Aggy was my prize as well. Two 4th rates captured.
OP updated.
afFtUgn.jpg

Edited by van der Decken
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, van der Decken said:

Encounter 4: Santo Tome, Orinoco
Dutch 6 (2 4th rates, 3 AI) vs Rats 3 (2 4th rates, 1 AI)
Dutch win, rats loss
OneEyeSnake and van der Decken sailed to Santo Tome to prepare for the defense of our land again and found 2 rats staging themselves for the battle. We engage quick, hit some sails, on both. OneEye went broadside to broadside with Mike the Mongol. As Is sailed in close to Mike, I kept MoroSeneng tagged, in case he planned an escape. OneEye made a trick turn catching Mike in irons and I closed in for a boarding. His Connie was our prize. Then seeing MoroSeneng stuck in irons, I made quick way to him, but could not make a good landing, and actually pushed him out of chains. After chasing him down a bit, pinching him in between us to exchange some broadsides, I was finally able to catch him and turn him into irons again. A great bow raking from OneEye helped with crew shock making it a 2 shot kill before his Aggy was my prize as well. Two 4th rates captured.
OP updated.
afFtUgn.jpg

I made the mistake of not getting distance and getting tagged because of the amount of ships we was going to face...this was not a good time to get tagged ..lol enjoyed it but dam I got owned. NJ gents

• Like 1

Encounter 5: Santo Tome, Orinoco
Dutch 12 (3 4th rates, 2 5th rates, 7 AI) vs French Rats 3 (1 3rd rate, 2 AI)
Dutch win, French rat loss
Preparing to defend our lands, we encountered a handful of rats and one frog. Some of the rats raced off to hide and one rats tagged his frog buddy who was there to screen. This prevented us from entering the battle. However, after about 5 minutes, the frog returned and we pounced on him. His Bellona was captured and his fleets ships sunk. We are considering this in the Dutch Oven, due to the fact the frogs have been screening us, making them allies of rats.
OP updated.
hihPV52.jpg

Edited by van der Decken

8 minutes ago, Neverdead Ned said:

I guess when you are desperate, you have to get your thrills or wins however you can.   If it motivates you to fight on, then by all means consider it a win.

I take it you are referring to rats always outnumbering their enemy in PBs? Ya, be proud rats...be very proud...you so good. you a#1, you so coo, harra harra for rats winning when having twice as many as others.
68d128d32e359e333bb44c6da35c072f.jpg

Edited by van der Decken
  • Like 1