Game-Labs Forum

New player some questions

lohi

Question

Greetings,

Ok just got the game and i got a few question/observations

From what i gathered i should be in PVP1 EU server since it has the highest number of players(an i am in the EU zone)

What about the nations? Do different nation speak mostly in their respective languages or is English widely used? Since i do speak only English i am kinda leaning towards the English nations as a sure bet for language barrier?

Got the part about the steep learning curve(have been watching/*reading guides for that so no issue there)

I was trying to find out what exactly is a "screening" force/battle by what i think they are players not participating in a port battle but who are dragging/tagging enemies so they cannot participate in the PB..a link to explanation of battle mechanics would be greatly appreciated.

So much from me for now.

Thank You

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

In terms of language, there will be some English speakers in every faction, but they vastly speak the language of that faction. I know that the Dutch have quite a few english-speaking or bilingual members, I can't speak for France, Denmark, or Spain because I don't really talk to them so much as shout obsceneties over broadsides.

Honest advice- just pick the nation you like the most, and think you'll have the most fun with. If it doesn't work out, you can always switch.

• Like 1

"screening"  - prevent enemy ships from entering Port Battle, disrupt formations, fight enemy screening groups and reduce enemy numbers before the final battle. Main goal is to provide safe corridor for Friendlies and Make Hell corridor for enemies.  Scouts can also be applied to such category as they are the eyes and ears of all National Navy fleet. They spy on enemy fleet movement and gathering locations. 

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 1

Thank you all for the replies, yesterday i went and started with UK as a faction, currently in West End and had my first battles(was funny not hitting a barn from 6ft untill i figured out the elevations)

Currently doing admiralty missions so i can rank up and get some gold flowing.

Got a few other questions if i may.

1. Should i bother with buildings in the starter area at all?

2. Officers from what i have seen in a video by Jehil is a very good thing to have, as for promote button is that active only once i have sufficient xp or can i use gold to promote him?

3. What would be a good way to start? As in get my resource buildings and start gathering resources for eventual crafting or should i focus on just ranking up so i can crew bigger/better ships in the beggining?

Well i am sure there will be a lot of questions in the future and i must add a big thank you for everyone helping me out in chat with my questions yesterday.

Calm Seas

Mainza Von Fap(ingame name)

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 10:38 AM, rediii said:

Even tho you already chose your nation (sadly the one with the most population) i have to say that the guys who say that danes and swedes don't speak english are pretty wrong there. In fact we talk mostly english even though the swedish community right now is ~70% german.

Same for the danes i guess, they mostly talk english and not russian like everyone believes.

Ok to your questions:

1. get the things you need to build medium carriages and as soon as you can large carriages. Build these 2 and then sell them to make some money if you are lazy and don't want to do traderuns

2. Officers level up. For example at level 5 they have 5 points to spare. If you click on promote you can choose the perks you would like to have. If you want to "reset" the perks you can do that everytime but you loose the XP you gained to reach the next level. So if your officer is level 5 and halfway trough to level 6 you start at 5 again

3. focus on the things you have fun with. I personally grinded to the rattlesnake/ frigate level and straight went to do pvp :) then i grinded to the 4th rate level for portbattles and after i discovered that 1st rates are fun too i grinded to use a vic and then stopped doing missions except for hostility. Just do what you enjoy

Having had a limited time to play for the last couple of days i still have not tried outposts, crafting trading just done a few missions to see the battle mechanics. The biggest next step for me is to find a good home port from which i can start to build out my game, as the west end is a starter and a shallow? port that would not work as a base of operations or would it? 

Maybe i should delete the char and create a new one outside of starter area? What are your thoughts on that? Maybe even get another nation to try and even out the numbers.

At best i will be a casual player since i do not have a lot of free time on my hands but i do like a good sail everytime i can get time to do it.

p.s. On a unrelated note is there a way for me to rename my forum nick to my in game nick?

Just now, rediii said:

You can use the teleport every 2 hours to get to your nations capital. That would we Port Royal for you so you don't have to recreate your char ;) 

Can't tell you where you should build yourself up at the beginning for the brits tho since we are enemys. :D You probably shouldnt stay at the capital though if you don't like to get into too much pvp though.

Well i must say good Sir for an enemy you are truly helpful :D

As for PVP part i entered into the game knowing it is PVP based and joined the server for that same reason. That said i do believe one could get a bit annoyed with the game if he is constantly dragged into PVP while not having the rank/money/ships to affect the result(aka griefed to the bone).

The fact i was asking about the deletion is i get my first outpost/warhouse for free when i create a char? So having one in a starter area i do not know if there are good business opportunities there to make it worthwhile.

Hi lohi,

I'm a german player who is playing in the dutch nation .... and we are allied :)

rediii is playing on the swedish nation, but he is a good and honorable opponent ... and btw. he is right ... and needs good opponents :D

You can do so much stuff in this game ...

You can do missions ... to level up, make money, get nice one dura ships

You can trade ... as rediii said ... look were the ship crafters build their ships and deliver the mats 

You can capture enemy NPC traders (or with contrabands) to get, mats, ships and money

You can be a crafter ... level up by buildung carriages and other stuff for the crafters ... build smaller ship to get the blueprints for bigger ships  (http://www.navalactioncraft.com)

You can participate on screening fleets to help your PB Fleet ... if you are ranked and have the stronger ships, you also can go into PBs ... you will meet redii there ;)

You can go for PVP ... working with your clan mates to be victorious ...

regards

Berend

Edited by Karpfanger
  • Like 1

Lohi,

Welcome to the game.  

The  (http://www.navalactioncraft.com)  website that Karpfanger cited also has a "shop prices" tab that lets you check out prices for trade goods.  So with a little looking (in game and at naval action craft), you can identify resources/trade goods with a low price at the port that you are at, and then find a port that you can sell them at for a higher price.  You can also do the same from the map (M) and use the Trader Tool. 

You can also ask for help either in your nation chat or in the Help chat.  Players are more than willing to answer your questions.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for the replies,

Well after the weekend where i had some time to play the game i must say that i had a LOT of help from a lot of players from answering a ton of my questions that they probably heard a zillion times before as well as helping me out in every aspect of the game going so far to craft and give me ships as well as starting capital so i can try different aspect of the game.

So the report thus far is:

It was a good weekend got tagged by an enemy who sank me :) while i was still learning the game(so i had the adrenaline rush of mashing the buttons while the ship was standing in irons ;)

Managed to start a boarding action while i was trying to rake the AI and rammed him (so i ended in boarding action with my 40 crew against 130) :D

Got my first outposts and buildings so hopefully now i have everything to start producing medium carriages(we shall see)

To celebrate the fact i got gifted a rattlesnake i entered a small battle and only then figured out i did not fit the cannons on it so i was a Duh.. moment

Got sunk by an AI while in a fleet battle :D

Managed to capture 2 AI ships Haaarrrr! It took me ages to stop him so i can board in the end i managed to board by getting us both stuck on a reef

Sold my labour hours to get my crafting level up :ph34r:

So all in all the game really has potential and i like it however there is a lot to learn. Looking forward to it.

• Like 3

wow ... what a eventful weekend ;)  ... congrats for your first captured ships ... it will be much easyer if you have learned the use of manual sailing ... 

Some tips and tricks ... and some motivation ...  you can also get from You Tube videos or live streams at twitch  ... try it out.

But the best motivation will be to work together with other players and learn from them.

regards

Berend