Game-Labs Forum

Mods Makeover

Here is a suggestion I'd like to submit to the Developers. I posted this within another thread and wanted to offer it in the Suggestions forum.

A month or so ago the Developers submitted a post informing us that in the future all ships would be of Exceptional Build. The only difference between one ship and another would be in the type of wood used to build them. The idea behind their reasoning being, who would purposely build a bad or inferior quality ship? 

I would like to offer an expansion on this idea pertaining to mods.

All mods such as Pellew's Sights, Steel Toolbox and Rum Rations should be of the same quality. With these, and similar mods, you either have them or you don't have them. 

Using the Developers reasoning, who would purchase or build an inferior quality Pellew's Sights? The same applies for Extra Hammocks or Powder Monkeys.  Again, using the Developers reasoning, who would choose not to have the optimum number or the finest quality of each? 

The player still has to make the important decision as to which mods he chooses to install, but the quality of the mod should no longer be a factor. They either have them installed or they don't.

The mods that should have a difference in quality are mods such as the current Marines, where, by adding either less or more of them (number of Marines) has a less or more negative impact on other operations of the ship. 

Edited by Captiva

I disagree. Varying levels of quality available at varying prices is realistic. Devices or equipment can be cutting edge or almost outdated. Tasks can be performed at various levels of skill or efficiency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrago said:

I disagree. Varying levels of quality available at varying prices is realistic. Devices or equipment can be cutting edge or almost outdated. Tasks can be performed at various levels of skill or efficiency.

Although i agree but the Captiva has a point. It's realistic that you varying mod qualities but  Every player i know, uses gold player made mods. I am not talking bout marines, powder monkeys etc.

5 minutes ago, BoomBox said:

Although i agree but the Captiva has a point. It's realistic that you varying mod qualities but  Every player i know, uses gold player made mods. I am not talking bout marines, powder monkeys etc.

Hmm. Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong. I haven't found that infinite source of gold mods so that I can equip each and every ship for each and every task with them. I'll keep looking. Lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captiva said:

The idea behind their reasoning being, who would purposely build a bad or inferior quality ship? 

Typical dev statement. Work on balancing: make bad ships better, increase mats for good ships. The improvement for spending more gold needs to decrease exponentially. Like buying a good camera. At some point twice the price equals only a few percent improvement. 

A good reason for different quality ships is that at the same time everybody can have easy access to competetive ships, and there is a motivation to work for the perfect ship. Can also work for mods, if they become consumption goods.

1 hour ago, Fargo said:

Typical dev statement. Work on balancing: make bad ships better, increase mats for good ships. The improvement for spending more gold needs to decrease exponentially. Like buying a good camera. At some point twice the price equals only a few percent improvement. 

A good reason for different quality ships is that at the same time everybody can have easy access to competetive ships, and there is a motivation to work for the perfect ship. Can also work for mods, if they become consumption goods.

I also like the idea of diminishing ROI for ship mods.  I believe that a real working game economy (along with an asset wipe) will go a long way toward making this a good solution.