Game-Labs Forum

PvP Fame System

I think a fame system that would track and display players pvp skill/activity/behaviour would be great, and with right settings it would add some flavour to pvp, and might also encourage players into engaging into balanced / challenging fights.

- If you get a kill in a balanced fight you get 100 points (same amount of players + similar BR) ; assist gives 50 points.

- If you get a kill in a slighty favourable fight you get 50 points (+10% to 30% players and/or BR for your side) ; assist gives 25 points.

- If you get a kill in a slightly unfavourable fight you get 150 points (+10% to +30% players and/or BR for opposing force) ; assist gives 75 points.

- if you get a kill in a gank situation (+30% to +x% players and/or BR for your side) you do not get any points ; same for assist.

- if you are sunk/surrendered/captured in a balanced fight you loose 100 points (same amount of players + similar BR)

- If you are sunk/surrendered/captured in a slighty favourable fight you loose 150 points (+10% to 30% players and/or BR for your side)

- If you are sunk/surrendered/captured in a slightly unfavourable fight you loose 50 points (+10% to +30% players and/or BR for opposing force)

- If you are sunk/surrendered/captured in a gank situation (+30% to +x% players and/or BR for opposing force) you do not loose anything

- If you are sunk/surrendered/captured in a trader ship you loose 100 points

- Im not sure if PB should count and how to design points for it.

- Fame would only apply for master and commander and above. New players can not earn points, and you do not earn points from them, but if they are involved in a battle with higher level players involved they count on the numbers/BR ratio. (This might discourage experienced PVPers from wasting time killing new players and driving them away from the game)

Every 1000 points you get a new title, more and more shiny and fearsome the more you progress, but you can also loose it and drop to previous title if you loose points. PvP title would be displayed instead of the pve xp title. I'm pretty sure players interested in pvp would take great care for having a high pvp title and with those rules, it should encourage people into taking balanced / challenging fights more often, while not forcing anyone, so it wouldnt hurt the freedom and sandbox aspects of the game. It would also increase the sense of accomplishment and long term progress of OW pvp actions. It would also increase the harm of defeat, which is too soft at the moment in my opinion, escpecially when you sail in a basic NPC made ship.

I'm not sure about numbers, but the idea is that it should be super hard to reach top title, and titles should fluctuate quite a bit with victories / defeats. The idea is not a grind but an attempt for everyone to progress in fame with a permanent risk of going down involved.

- In order to encourage highly skilled players to fight each other instead of farming lower ranked players : If you kill an enemy 2 fame ranks below yours : -50% points / 3 fame ranks below yours : -75% points / 4 fame ranks below yours : -100% points.

Edited by Zooloo
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I think this is more a reputation system than how to level up. I do think we need a reputation system.  Maybe an over all one and than each player has rep for each nation.  

Yes i didnt mean this should replace the grinding for crew capacity, it's something else that would just display titles. No other consequence, but i know by experience that this kind of fame system can become very important and rewarding for players. It's a bit like paint, it doesnt change anything but shows you managed to earn it. And if the actions required to earn it encourage a pvp that is healthy for the fun and the playerbase, it's good !

And btw, once you're in race for the most badass title, your interest for the game increases in terms of strengh and durability.

That feeling when you read "You have sunk the famous captain SruPL - You are now a Plague of the Seas"... :D

Edited by Zooloo
taunting a brit
  • Like 4

This is the best use for BR!  Not as a means to dictating what battles can and can't happen on the open sea.  Use BR to reward reputation and/or access to higher rank.  For those Captains that seek out to do as much damage to enemy shipping in the name of the crown and not personal ego, it won't and that is fine.  Different players have different motives. 

Edited by Kiefer Cain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zooloo said:

Yes i didnt mean this should replace the grinding for crew capacity, it's something else that would just display titles. No other consequence, but i know by experience that this kind of fame system can become very important and rewarding for players. It's a bit like paint, it doesnt change anything but shows you managed to earn it. And if the actions required to earn it encourage a pvp that is healthy for the fun and the playerbase, it's good !

And btw, once you're in race for the most badass title, your interest for the game increases in terms of strengh and durability.

That feeling when you read "You have sunk the famous captain SruPL - You are now a Plague of the Seas"... :D

Yah I kinda like the rep system on POTB but something more tweeked like that.  So you have a PLAYER rep of your over all actions. So we can look up and see that one bad mother that kills every one and than than steals there daughters.   Or we can see he just hates the Spanish and never has sunk a Brit, even though he's Danish and they are at war or something.   Maybe some one that kills a lot of traders of a certain nation can't use that nations ports with a traders, but some nations might welcome him cause he kills pirates too.  Even works for Pirates as some nations might have certain pirates they hate (instead of all pirates) and they hunt him down or his clan cause of there actions which might be they only fight Swedes and hunt in there waters. or you have the all out pirate that steals from every one.   Rep gets to a high enough level you can get special paints and flags from those nations  so it can be tied into admriality rewarsd spoken of.

• Like 1

For the 'fame' ranks why not use titles of nobility of the era?

"Marquis de Zooloo"
"Viscount Snoopy"

They can be combined with the military rank and applied at the same time.
The US is screwed in this system though. That'll teach them not to rebell against the crown hehe.

• Like 3

I don't think traders should lose fame for being captured or sunk, whereas capturing or sinking traders gain you fame.  Don't punish traders anymore than what they currently get.

It might be interesting if surrendering causes you to lose slightly less fame than if you sink, just to encourage surrendering more (if you are in a trader, this doesn't apply to you).  If an enemy surrenders, the player who did the most hull, crew, sail damage gets the kill, and if no damage, the one who is closest gets the kill (or maybe it gives an assist to everyone?). 

Edited by Prater
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Snoopy said:

For the 'fame' ranks why not use titles of nobility of the era?

"Marquis de Zooloo"
"Viscount Snoopy"

They can be combined with the military rank and applied at the same time.
The US is screwed in this system though. That'll teach them not to rebell against the crown hehe.

Sorry but i would be Empereur Zooloo !

or Serf Zooloo...

Edited by Zooloo
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2017 at 11:17 AM, Prater said:

I don't think traders should lose fame for being captured or sunk, whereas capturing or sinking traders gain you fame.  Don't punish traders anymore than what they currently get.

It might be interesting if surrendering causes you to lose slightly less fame than if you sink, just to encourage surrendering more (if you are in a trader, this doesn't apply to you).  If an enemy surrenders, the player who did the most hull, crew, sail damage gets the kill, and if no damage, the one who is closest gets the kill (or maybe it gives an assist to everyone?). 

They need to give the option to give up cargo to live.  Like POTB have. I would let ships go with cargo if there was a ransom system myself or that I can take a part of there cargo. I do trade hunting in a LVG any way so I would have the cargo space.  That way you can just take a little tax off the top and let them go.

On 2/9/2017 at 11:35 AM, JeanJacques de Montpellier said:

I agree with the ideas put forward, but also suggest removing in OW the infos on the enemies (name, rank, fame).

Statistics, data, medals and more, would be very important to fill the "career" of each player. This would give new impulses to all.

This is not a simulation so lets not make it harder for players.  We still get folks calling out AI fleets thinking they are players.  You remove that stuff it would make it even harder for them.  Though I would love a flag for the pirates that say you think I"m in a Trader Snow when I'm truely in a Snow or other like ship close to a trader.   Maybe even give us a false flag of a nation until we attack.   Than all hell breaks out.

On 09/02/2017 at 11:29 AM, Zooloo said:

- In order to encourage highly skilled players to fight each other instead of farming lower ranked players : If you kill an enemy 2 fame ranks below yours : -50% points / 3 fame ranks below yours : -75% points / 4 fame ranks below yours : -100% points.

Edited original post.

Have no clues about the Fame. Make it completely secret. When player gets it, he gets it.

Also wins vs losses, all being equivalent to fame in age of sail, would mean that a loss can be really catastrophic ( loss of commission and early forced retirement ) while wins can represent less than expected ( forcing captains to more and more daring acts), so a 1.0 to 1.2 harsh Admiralty points on wins:losses

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Have no clues about the Fame. Make it completely secret. When player gets it, he gets it.

Also wins vs losses, all being equivalent to fame in age of sail, would mean that a loss can be really catastrophic ( loss of commission and early forced retirement ) while wins can represent less than expected ( forcing captains to more and more daring acts), so a 1.0 to 1.2 harsh Admiralty points on wins:losses

I agree, a little bit of mistery brings more fun and joy/despair to the rank up / rank down.

And i also agree it has to be really hard to progress in the ranks, and defeat has to be painfull.

• Like 1

Pros and cons of of fame visible in OW:

Cons:

- Lower fame sailors scared to fight high fame captains

- Higher fame sailors hunting lower fame sailors on purpose for easy fame gain (even with x% rule)

Pros:

- High fame sailors looking for fight vs other high fame sailors can find targets in OW based on fame.

- Players will fear and pay respect to high fame captains o7

I would also remove the fame lose for traders (pointless) and give a fame system for clans too. Avarage fame of top 25% of best members (so new players do not "ruin" clan's fame. For example clan has 10 players, then top 3 fame members will count into clan's fame:

Liquid - 600 fame

Zqqlqq - 500 fame

syrupPL - 400 fame

Clan's fame equals 500 fame (avarage of top 25% bests)

Just now, Hethwill said:

Er... Am i seeing this being pushed towards Stats ego-show-off ? That's why I vouch for totally blind results/thresholds and even non-linear awards.

we need meritocracy - нам нужно меритократию

im trying some unusual words in russian language, is it correct?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, elite92 said:

we need meritocracy - нам нужно меритократию

im trying some unusual words in russian language, is it correct?

Generally they would adopt word ending like "meritocracy" as a feminine noun so it would be "меритократия". In your sentence, it would stay in the nominative case  

Нам нужно меритократия

• Like 1