Game-Labs Forum

Possible "Night Flip/Work Flip" Solution

Possible Night flip solution 

Hey all,

First off I'd like to ask everyone to please be respectful and constructive. I know this is a very polarizing issue, but this is an attempt at a solution, so give it a chance.

It is clear that these "Night Flip/Work Flips" are really causing issues between the nations. Here's a suggestion.

What if each nation could vote on the time period in which they are unable to fight. Similar to diplomacy, each nation could set a window of immunity in which attacks against their nation can't be initiated. Heres my idea of how this immunity period would work.

Voting - Let's say we are playing for the Purple Nation. Each player of the purple nation gets to set a start time and end time for the dead period. There is a limit to the length of this period, let's say 8 hours. All the votes of that nation are compiled, they are averaged together, and the result becomes the immunity period. 

Immunity - During this time period hostility cant be generated against the purple nation. However, the purples can still attack the other nations around them, and they can still join allies in defenses/attacks.

Example 1 - Purple nation has 10 members that all agree in advance to pick a time from 1:00 - 9:00 to be the immunity period, and it is set.

Example 2 - Red nation has 20 members, and they can't agree. 
10 members vote for 6:00 - 12:00
8 members vote for 2:00 - 10:00
2 members vote for 15:00 - 23:00

The result is 5:18 - 13:18. 

This allows everyone to have at least a little input on the overall decision. Yes, some large groups can swing it one way or another, but they wont have full control.

Possible ramifications - This could lead to a dead period where no attacks can be made against an alliance if they all set the same dead period. I realize this could be seen as a problem, but perhaps this suggestion combined with a way to regularly split up the alliances could solve this. 

I'm very open to feedback, and am willing to listen to other points of view. Also the 8 hour window is just an example, it could be more or less.

Discuss. 

EDIT:

Update: I have changed the method for compiling the votes. Instead of a majority takes all, the votes will be averaged together. This allows everyone to have some input.

Update: Changed Example 2 to better fit this version. 

Edited by Guest

In my opinion your Red Nation example creates dissatisfaction within the nation, player vs. player.  It would create what we've already seen as factions within factions, clans not happy with other clans of the same nation, and interfighting amongst player personalities.  I do not want to see large clans dominating a nation's voting system and it's combat strategics.

I do think like you and others that some sort of a solution is warranted though, I agree.  Although if you think about it, if everyone used nightflipping then no one has any more advantage than the other based on the nightflips, since it goes both ways.  Boils down to sheer numbers, like always.  It just results in more lopsided PB's.

In my opinion, rather than such a voting system, I would rather see the solution become an RNG approach to this whole issue, wherein any one port battle is decided by the random generation.  If it's truly random, then ultimately it becomes even, and as they say you win some you lose some.

Edited by Jean Ribault

9 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

In my opinion your Red Nation example creates dissatisfaction within the nation, player vs. player.  It would create what we've already seen as factions within factions, clans not happy with other clans of the same nation, and interfighting amongst player personalities.  I do not want to see large clans dominating a nation's voting system and it's combat strategics.

I do think like you and others that some sort of a solution is warranted though, I agree.  Although if you think about it, if everyone used nightflipping then no one has any more advantage than the other based on the nightflips, since it goes both ways.  Boils down to sheer numbers, like always.  It just results in more lopsided PB's.

In my opinion, rather than such a voting system, I would rather see the solution become an RNG approach to this whole issue, wherein any one port battle is decided by the random generation.  If it's truly random, then ultimately it becomes even, and as they say you win some you lose some.

I agree that dissatisfaction is a problem. Initially I had thought of averaging all the votes together. I'll think on it further.

EDIT: I think it's important to note that we currently are being ruled by the large clans. They decide nation politics.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, EliteDelta said:

EDIT: I think it's important to note that we currently are being ruled by the large clans. They decide nation politics.

True.  I think that's caused quite a few rifts, wish there a way to stop or at least control that.  But if you hear from those in power, they will typically disagree, thinking they should have that right.

Elite.  Some good thoughts and recommendations included in your post. I hope the devs see it and include in their programming.

I would like to see Admiralty led PB's or a Port Battle over several days with casus belli and war score to determine winner of port.  Since taking a region should be a long epic event.

Update: I have changed the method for compiling the votes. Instead of a majority takes all, the votes will be averaged together. This allows everyone to have some input.

Update: Changed Example 2 to better fit this version. 

1 - Promote the game, and get more people playing.  

2 - Don't make English speakers outcasts in the French and Spanish nations, that alone could help those nations attract players from different time zones.

3 - Make friends/alliances for the periods you can't defend

The Developers should have an idea of what the server population to expect on launch and should work around that, not adjust to suit 400 people playing early access.