Game-Labs Forum

the death of port battles

balz

3 minutes ago, Aegir said:

Hold up, hold up. Your idea of how this would be 'solved' in a social way is to make a deal and then subject other nations to the exact same thing?

Its called diplomacy.

Funny how one of my gaming groups has a motto which basically means that If you are offline, well you are. But if you are online then by God you are going into the frontline and take fire.

Sums it up, the leisure of playing a game, really smooth.

11 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I completely understand the problem, I don't think any of us deny what's going on here but the contention lies in that "night flipping" is a matter of personal perspective and geography, and a mechanical solution immediately disadvantages one time zone or another, etc.

As far as the social solution goes? I don't know.. you had to look at what you have... You had a bargaining chip in Savannah, too late on that front. You have alternatives like offering to ally with us instead of sticking with friends that can't help you, etc. Offer up a steady supply of first rates and a non-aggression pact when we go after Spanish interests, etc.  There are lots of things out there you could come up with that might be enticing and enforceable through mutual agreement and trust.

But Danish interests repeatedly denied any interest in that route through deed and opinion, so here we are, with moans to the daddy dev's to make it all ok through some mechanical fix instead of taking responsibility for yourselves.

8 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I agree with you and in an ideal world this is how the alliances SHOULD pan out.  Perhaps a month ago an alliance swap would of been possible.  Unfortunately the Danes felt like threats would somehow be the best way to negotiate with the US.  An alliance with the Danes will never be possible.  That's not on us. The Danes gave only their arrogance to blame.  

I'm not sure if an alliance shift would actually save this game from piss poor dev relations, perhaps only delay the inevitable.  Perhaps our only solution would be to hope for a server merge and an influx of players from every time zone.  

Ok, we are moving forward then.

You agree with me and we have a problem.

We need to stop throwing shit to each others and focus on the key point.

While devs are focused on their own bussiness we can try to bring up ideas to solve the problem.

Let's do it

• Like 3

Just now, Coraline Vodka said:

Let's roleplay our way out of this "problem" and stop blaming things out of our control 

I miss the old newspapers and national posters. That was good stuff and added a lot to the ongoing wars.

When did "we" stopped it and started flinging manure ?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

This exactly is the reason why you are getting now what you asked for.

You find bug and abuse it till its fix.

And this arrogance. We r almighty danes. Unbeatable. Yet map proves it otherwise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Let's roleplay our way out of this "problem" and stop blaming things out of our control 

Lol fuck that shit, there is no solution now just like there wasnt in feb,march last year. And the whole time inbetween. Agreements between players representing nations invariably lead back to this. Idk i love this game too much to quit because of rvr. Adapt and react.

Edited by Potemkin

Just now, Leku said:

And this arrogance. We r almighty danes. Unbeatable. Yet map proves it otherwise.

If the fight involves equal numbers, yes. But fair fights are far from common these days.

But yes, the mighty dane testers are taking a break from testing.

9 minutes ago, Christendom said:

I agree with you and in an ideal world this is how the alliances SHOULD pan out.  Perhaps a month ago an alliance swap would of been possible.  Unfortunately the Danes felt like threats would somehow be the best way to negotiate with the US.  An alliance with the Danes will never be possible.  That's not on us. The Danes gave only their arrogance to blame.  

Thats just a cheap excuse that you dont want to, even if you said something different yesterday on TS. The danes literally asked you what they need to do to fix the problems and offered u to take all their provinces.

Your priority must be trading and PvE, otherwise I cannot understand this decision.

I can just hope that they bring back port timers then.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, JonSnowLetsGo said:

Thats just a cheap excuse that you dont want to, even if you said something different yesterday on TS. The danes literally asked you what they need to do to fix the problems and offered u to take all their provinces.

Your priority must be trading and PvE, otherwise I cannot understand this decision.

I can just hope that they bring back port timers then.

I said exactly the same thing on TS yesterday.  I brought it to the US council last night about a possible alliance shift and it's not an option.  Perhaps it's more simple for you hopping around from nation to nation, it's not so for us.  

The US would never switch.  I personally would switch nations if need be.  

Port timers will not be your salvation.  Careful what you wish for

32 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

But yes, the mighty dane testers are taking a break from testing.

I think 90% of testers are taking a break from testing. lol It doesn't mean they quit, they just watching Devs closely. 

Edited by Ned Loe

Well i supposed i could switch from US to Dane to help give u some NA players.

I was British on PVP 2 when we fought the US (John Bernard Shaw Cable)

When i switched to PVP1 i turned traitor and joined the US ( Ben the Dick Arnold)

So if u really need NA players to help u Danes i suppose i could reroll and become Captain Quisling 

Let me know

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

But to not learn from what makes a successful game a success, and avoid the mistakes that other games have made would be illogical, yes? (Talking about EVE)

I've avoided wading into this thread because I've prosecuted my beliefs about port battle time restrictions, etc. and hypocrisies on both sides already to no end. But I think one thing that must be underscored is that the best content in an online, multiplayer game is player-generated content. (By and by, this is what EVE does well.) But in order for that to happen you have to have two things: 1) Freedom, and a framework to support player freedom and the decisions arising from that freedom translated into the game world; and 2) Players.

We are missing both of these things. We currently have band-aids that the dev's have implemented to try to prop up the lack of these. I think we can all agree that the band-aids are putrid. But major components of the framework to support player-driven content are there. In many cases they just need to be tweaked, or relaxed, or shifted by small amounts, and I'd hope very much that there is a long-term vision that is driving the dev's forward (that they haven't bothered to communicate, middle finger to that) that includes said tweaks. In some cases people are just not using the tools at their disposal, which are things like diplomacy, and social interaction... the things that aren't the jobs of the dev's to provide.

But to lose sight of the fact that in an online, multiplayer game it is the players that make the game worth playing is a problem we all must face. I don't want a game where there aren't Dane's in it. I want a game where we can prosecute a war against the Dane's using fair mechanics, open to all sides, open to all time zones. I want a game world that's dynamic, ever changing, and in the end surprisingly delightful because of that. I want a game world where I can stomp on the pixel throat of the enemies that threaten my pixel friends and pixel livelihoods without this bleeding over into our non-pixel lives, and which can be resolved through pixel wars or non-pixel diplomacy.

I don't think we are all that far apart on these primary motivations, but if you lose sight of the two tenets I outline above, freedom and players, the motivations can't coexist. Is that all too much to ask? :) 

This is by far the most constructive post on this entire thread, and it outlines the main problems with this game.  Everyone should read this post!  When the port battle universal lockout timer was implemented and the throttling of port battles using the new hostility system was implemented is when the core of this games player base fell off. 

I am an American and I hardly ever get to participate in port battles anymore because when I get online to play after eating dinner and a long days work I am locked out of the best content this game has to offer, which right now is port battles.  I used to log on at 8:00 PM (EST) and there was still plenty of action to be found even on the EU server with 500 players still online.  The game should have no restrictions on anything, port battles should be able to happen at anytime of day.  The players no matter where they are in the world should have the ability to participate in all of the same content that the EU and RUS players get to participate in. 

By creating a universal lockout timer you took away my freedom to play the most enjoyable part of your game after I get home from work everyday and log on (port battles).  Your protectionist policies that allow the EU and RUS players to sleep comfortably at night is ruining my gaming experience. 

Most of the people on PvP2 that I used to play with were from California, how do you think they feel about the lockout timers?  I will give you a hint THEY DON'T PLAY YOUR GAME ANYMORE DEVS!

Also the one guy I used to play with on the EU server was from California as well and has 3 accounts with 2000 hours logged into this game, he doesn't play anymore either. 

Edited by Yar Matey
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, D4mi4n said:

if danes do something like a bug abuse than we dont whine and usa do 2 night flips and the hole danes nation are whining so if you dont like it stop than doing the same thing!

Please... Get real. Every nation whines about stuff. Don't try to pretend like you and your friends are any better then any other player group.

I don't know what group you belong to but claiming that nation A are bug abusers and you did not whine about it yet when your Nation B does something everyone whines is just a fools remarks seeing how the climate is on the forums at times.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Christendom said:

oh look another thread about night flips destroying the game.  Meanwhile "for the sake of the playerbase" didn't seem to be a topic of discussion during the 7 war supply drop, the 3 points at once attack on the US a month ago, pushing the dutch down to one region, US down to one region multiple times, 1st rates into 4th rate battles...blah blah blah.  Insert any number of grievances.  When your side is winning, all is fair.  When our side wins the mechanics need to be changed.  This shit is getting old.    

What I don't get is why people are so intent on winning a stupid battle when it means killing the game....

Most of the people posting here are behaving like someone stole your best red shiny toy and refused to give it back, so you will now burn there house down to get even....

Yes, people will not complain so much when winning, People will complain ALOT when losing... This is human behaviour we are talking about.

Instead of sitting in your high thrones and flinging shit at each other how about discussing a solution to the problems we face.

• Like 5

Wow, this is a lot of hate.. :blink:  I'm not sure if you are all this aggressive normally or if this is just roll playing for some of you guys. It's a game that's in development. If you can't put you self interest aside to help the game develop, what are you doing here?

If Britain and the US nation, both have more than 25 players that can fight each other during the night and morning (for EU players), the solution to this game is obvious. We need a change in the political situation. If they are unwilling to accept this and help out the server, that's okay. We can't force anyone to do anything, we can just raise the issue..     

There are a lot of false accusations posted in here and in a lot of other threads in this forum. The Danish RvR players are not exploiters. If you had proof you would post it in the tribunal. Just posting the same false accusations repeatedly does not make them true and it is really annoying to see these false accusations used as arguments in discussions. 
Most stuff the danish RvR players did, we picked up from observing SLRN (God bless their souls) more than 1,5 year ago. That might be news for some of you, but most old players are aware of this.

Danish did not brake the Christmas truce. If if you have proof of danish fighting in a PB during the truce, please bring it forward. The issue I belive is that they did not like that we raised hostility during the truce period, but the devil is in the details. It was not specified in the deal and that PB was scheduled after the truce ended. So we honored the Christmas truce to the letter. If that's not good enough, then I'm sorry but that's the best outcome you can hope for in any deals you make in life.

The danish might have discovered war supply's first, but only because we are excellent testers and it was not a bug exploit. It was really difficult to craft them in the beginning and some of our players where in direct contact with devs, regarding tweaking the war supplies. I have to add that most of us do not like the PvE stuff, so it was a way around PvE. It was also quickly embraced by most other nations when it became common knowledge how effective it was. So I do not get why anyone is pointing fingers regarding this! It was a game mechanic all nations used in some way or another. Then it got nerfed, so now it's just useless.  

When one danish RUS player entered the Pampatar PB in a Victory, it was an accident! Seriously, if it had been planned we would have entered with 25 1. rates. Bug reports where sendt by both nations in that PB and the bug was fixed quickly. So creed to that RUS player for uncovering this bug. Also ask your self this, if you had entered that PB in a superior ship, would you have left the battle? When you leave the battle you own team would be at a disadvantage because they only have 24 ships. Answer in most cases is no.

Please do not bite my head of for this post, it's not my fault we are the only one that have balz here and ballz ingame. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Tiedemann said:

When one danish RUS player entered the Pampatar PB in a Victory, it was an accident! Seriously, if it had been planned we would have entered with 25 1. rates.

you was gonna look if you can join in a 1st rate so you could do by a 4th rate pb 25 1st rates ships into it were not THAT STUPID!

1 hour ago, Kloothommel said:

I was unaware that RDNN was a rogue clan?? - We (DANVE) didn't make the hostility and as far as I know ALL DANVE players were very much opposed to the "liberal" interpretation of the truce..

1 hour ago, Leku said:

Well to be fair you can't fight PvP wise.. I haven't lost to an american in a PvP fight yet and the PBs? - The only way you can win is through trolling..

16 minutes ago, Bearwall said:

I was unaware that RDNN was a rogue clan?? - We (DANVE) didn't make the hostility and as far as I know ALL DANVE players were very much opposed to the "liberal" interpretation of the truce..

Not what we were told by the Dane diplo last night for the record, we were told DANVE did it XD

• Like 1

Just now, Augustus Charles Hobart H said:

Not what we were told by the Dane diplo last night for the record, we were told DANVE did it XD

I reeeheally don't care what you were told.. I'll take it with Klooth and NorthViking on TS - not here..

3 hours ago, saintjacktar said:

You not what the difference is. The US-BRI-DUT alliance is a truly global alliance Australians- Yankees- Nederlanders and Brits (with a sprinkling with other EU) compared to a predominantly Russian & EU alliance of the DA-SV-FR-ES. Perhaps instead of pouring cancerous poison in the forums, or whining to the devs like little girls, perhaps maybe attempt to recruit non Euro's to your alliance. You're in a global game get used to it!

This is not a solution to the problem, this is like pouring more and more water into a leaking bucket and thinking that it will stop leaking eventually..

.(Which it will once it is empty btw)

3 hours ago, monk33y said:

Come on now Daines you lost 2 ports, wait until the yanks/gb/Dutch alliance captures your capital. Then we'll all drown in your salt 

How good of you to grace this forum with your infinite wisdom... Or perhaps your just trolling and wasting forum space with your non constructive remarks...

3 hours ago, monk33y said:

To respond to this "the game needs a radical changes" bullocks.

How many changes have we already to to stop the Daines exploiting broken game mechanics!

+ Lots of other claims

Wow... Just Wow. I am sick of all the mud slinging from certain players over and over again without any real reason other then to post another post about how evil the enemy and how saintly your own side. If your just going to post crap over and over then refrain from posting until your adding to the solution to the problems this game faces.

2 hours ago, Lord Vicious said:

Also we never used alt for tag lone brits LOL.      We usually camped kpr and faced the odds   

But let's all remember that you never ever lost anything, and if you did lose a ship/battle it was while sailing a Teak ship and it does not count anyway. So you did not lose anything ever. Lets all agree to that and the mighty Lord V can climb back into his glorified hole of darkness and we can focus on the important stuff.

Most agree that there is a problem yet the majority continue to focus on petty issues in the past.

Lets move past that and find a solution to the problem.

Devs have declared that the current hostility system is not working as they was hoping and that Flags is coming back. I think a combination with hostility that eventually leads to the option of purchasing a flag is system worth testing. Just needs to find a way to allow players to enjoy the game without wasting hours sitting and waiting for a eventual attack in the middle of the night.

It was proposed here earlier in a post that raising hostility is not the work for a mere 10 players but rather a effort for the entire nation. This is a solid idea that needs to be tweaked to allow smaller nations and nations with smaller player base to compete with HUGE nations like The brittish Tea and Scones Armada.

Traders should have a way to contribute to the war efforts because without food, powder, cannons etc No battles will be fought

Casual players needs to have a way to aid the war effort, Could be by donation of labour hours or doing materials mission to aid the war effort.

PvE needs a way to help to otherwise we will lose a portion of the player base as well, A PvE player today could be a PVP tomorrow. Lets try to keep them around.

PvP need other PvP to have fun fights and meaningfull contests.

We all need ways to find a meaning to log in and aid your nation as you should hopefully feel that your actions is aiding you nations

• Like 1