Game-Labs Forum

the death of port battles

balz

It has come to my attention that the horrid tactics of attacking different time zone nations feels like its destroying the game...

I'm one of a few aussies that play on the denmark/norge nation and although i realize i am unable to make most port battles because of my time zone i try to do my part for the nation.

But recently I've notice a large US force taking advantage of most of my European mates at times were they are asleep and i am at work causing grief and getting port battles that suit their time zones.

Now this is fine for the US, it is their prime time and why shouldn't they enjoy it while they are in maxed numbers.

But i feel the grieving is forcing the dedicated denmark/norge players to stay awake to horrible hours of the morning during the week nights only to be met by a handful of frigates one night and mocked then meet a full 1st/2nd rate fleet on other nights to be a disgrace to the game.

25v25 first rate battles are intense and are the pinnacle of this game with the most risk and most at stake with only 1 dura  ships and to me this is what makes this game

I propose port battles to be held on weekends so all time zones have a chance to participate.

I also propose that a screening fleet should have to patrol a greater area then directly out front of the port, i feel that you should be able to join a port battle from a 6 square radius from the port to give a good chance of meeting an even 25v25 port battle because lets face it a half full port battle is a waste of everyone's time.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, balz said:

It has come to my attention that the horrid tactics of attacking different time zone nations feels like its destroying the game...

I'm one of a few aussies that play on the denmark/norge nation and although i realize i am unable to make most port battles because of my time zone i try to do my part for the nation.

But recently I've notice a large US force taking advantage of most of my European mates at times were they are asleep and i am at work causing grief and getting port battles that suit their time zones.

Now this is fine for the US, it is their prime time and why shouldn't they enjoy it while they are in maxed numbers.

But i feel the grieving is forcing the dedicated denmark/norge players to stay awake to horrible hours of the morning during the week nights only to be met by a handful of frigates one night and mocked then meet a full 1st/2nd rate fleet on other nights to be a disgrace to the game.

25v25 first rate battles are intense and are the pinnacle of this game with the most risk and most at stake with only 1 dura  ships and to me this is what makes this game

I propose port battles to be held on weekends so all time zones have a chance to participate.

I also propose that a screening fleet should have to patrol a greater area then directly out front of the port, i feel that you should be able to join a port battle from a 6 square radius from the port to give a good chance of meeting an even 25v25 port battle because lets face it a half full port battle is a waste of everyone's time.

kind of a good idea but what will it do to nations? that want to do pb's in non weekends?

I agree with you, except for your solution.

Portbattles are the only content for RvR atm and making those weekend only means that theres not much to do on the other 4/5 days.

Another solution would be to balance the US playerbase between the 2 alliances, so that both sides would have players online at all times. This way everyone can have Portbattles at their primetime (well except for the server downtime, but theres nothing we can do about it).

We have the alliance system to balance things out, we just have to use it.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

More easy, don't to try defend port out of your primetime. People is parching the problem at cost of their health and all for a game.

We have two servers based in different timezones, we can to use that.

They are not used as such. "It's only the location"

6 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

They are not used as such. "It's only the location"

I know that they say about that, but I am not speaking about location, I am speaking two servers, anybody can to choose his best ping. The problem is this game allow to play with 300 or more without problems.

If devs put limits in the port battles time in each server, and transfer all assets, we can to begin again without this problem.

I remember a looong time ago, before the OW in  May of 2015 someone said about this and the mayority want all mixed because not split the community. Well the problem is here and is not new. It don't work and community is divided anyway.

Edited by Siegfried
  • Like 1

18/19 CET  PBs puts off the entire GMT/Zulutime europe as most are in office hours, 17-18 for us... we can go on this discussion without even having to cross the atlantic.

So I propose a CET server and a US/GMT server as to me that seems to be the real deal in your "strike" and struggle...better yet...fuse all into one server running 24/7

45 minutes ago, JonSnowLetsGo said:

I agree with you, except for your solution.

Portbattles are the only content for RvR atm and making those weekend only means that theres not much to do on the other 4/5 days.

Another solution would be to balance the US playerbase between the 2 alliances, so that both sides would have players online at all times. This way everyone can have Portbattles at their primetime (well except for the server downtime, but theres nothing we can do about it).

We have the alliance system to balance things out, we just have to use it.

That opportunity has been there for , what, the last 6 months? But it's a player mentality issue, and the sandbox fails when pure self-interest and "winning" takes precedence over everything else, to the point of first not having any PBs at all and doing nothing about it, and now opting for easy-win PBs because of issues that you'd never encounter in a real life scenario. Unless, of course, we're going to pretend that there's a species of nocturnal humans residing in the Carribean :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, Siegfried said:

More easy, don't to try defend port out of your primetime. People is parching the problem at cost of their health and all for a game.

We have two servers based in different timezones, we can to use that.

Indeed, if we aren't keen on the idea of having to stay up at night on a regular basis just to have a fair shot at a goddamn computer game, then we simply shouldn't.

Even regular PB conquest is completely obsolete if those hard-fought regions are just going to be handed away on a silver platter a few days later, so might as well just do some primetime fights for pure entertainment's sake and forget about expanding or holding ports altogether. After all, we're just in a testing phase and it's all gonna be wiped sooner or later, if this was happening after release with no hope in sight people would just quit instead.

LoL.

Again whining and crying.

Get your ass together and try talking via diplomacy. Something that is so unfamiliar for you eastern alliance.

I wonder if this massage will be deleted like ~3-4 last my posts. Censorship is hard on this forums. Thats another issue.

Instead you people try to enforce your ideas that suits you. It`s your decision to stay up night. It`s your decision to refuse diplomatic talks.

Also it`s low playerbase issue.

Nothing impossible to done. You just need to change your whining mentality and start talking like players with players.

Edited by Leku
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Surathani said:

Untill someone actually gets honest and can equate "night flips" with "work flips", then I think its pretty clear where the problem lies. Merge the servers yesterday!

Or split the servers tomorrow. Prevent the problem from developing anew.

Edited by Kloothommel
  • Like 3

Something that has been in place since the beggining. Lets look how well that has been working. Of course you think blocking westerners from your game server is your fix. Lets look at the rest of the gaming market that flourashes in the same makeup, then ask Dane RDNN why they can't stand losing a port. Find some western timezone people and fight this war. Clearly the U.S will take a loss and still fight. I am pretty sure that all are tired with the so called low pop, night flip routine.

Edited by Surathani
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, D4mi4n said:

i agree with loku.

always the whining if it isnt good for your side but when you do it than it is the future,

and the night flips are paybacks for your deeds Danes.

because you do pb's against them when they are going to work.

Go on. Please. Tell me more of your infinite wisdom. How do we make this game great again? Shall we all join the Brits and celebrate as the whole map is red and the only battls there are are the empty ones?

Edited by Kloothommel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, balz said:

The basic premise here is erroneous.  Port Battles are NOT the be all, end all of this game.  OW PvP is and should be.  RvR should just be an offshoot of that.  

• Like 5

Just now, Surathani said:

Something that has been in place since the beggining. Lets look how well that has been working. Of course you think blocking westerners from your game server is your fix. Lets look at the rest of the gaming market that flourashes in the same makeup, then ask Dane RDNN why they can't stand losing a port.

You mean the rest of the gaming market where a vast majority of games resort to regional servers with very few exceptions?

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

The basic premise here is erroneous.  Port Battles are NOT the be all, end all of this game.  OW PvP is and should be.  RvR should just be an offshoot of that.  

And what do you need to craft the good OW PVP ships again? Oh yes, PORTS. (preferrabley with a good unbalanced regional trim)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vernon Merrill said:

Whether it should be OW or not is debatable, but at the moment the impact of OW combat is miniscule compared the effects felt by RvR, thus making RvR the 'be all, end all'.

Cap 10 traders in the OW, shut down the silver for a day. Cap his silver region, shut down the silver for a lifetime.

3 minutes ago, Kloothommel said:

Go on. Please. Tell me more of your infinite wisdom. How doi we make this game great again? Shall we all join the Brits and celebrate as the whole map is red and the only battls there are are the empty ones?

if danes do something like a bug abuse than we dont whine and usa do 2 night flips and the hole danes nation are whining so if you dont like it stop than doing the same thing!

4 minutes ago, Aegir said:

You mean the rest of the gaming market where a vast majority of games resort to regional servers with very few exceptions?

Actually I am talking about every non ping centric title I played over a lifetime. EU mmo servers and the like. I wont waste your time with how many years I played many titles with AUS and EU people. I enjoy playing with my near 200 ping. In Rome on vacation I had a 19 ping. Who is whineing here? All I hear is my town "only" bs from this thread.

Edited by Surathani