Game-Labs Forum

Command Levels Reference Guide??

Andre Bolkonsky

There isn't much to share for now sadly, just like the plebs we're all waiting for Gettysburg. The team seems buried deep into their works and has given little news lately. 

For now the priority seems to be the release of all battles + a stable balanced content. Team remains very evasive on future possible features (multiplayer fx) but I assume they're just being cautious, not wanting to promise something they're unsure to deliver in the end.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

There isn't much to share for now sadly, just like the plebs we're all waiting for Gettysburg. The team seems buried deep into their works and has given little news lately. 

For now the priority seems to be the release of all battles + a stable balanced content. Team remains very evasive on future possible features (multiplayer fx) but I assume they're just being cautious, not wanting to promise something they're unsure to deliver in the end.  

Fair enough. Thanks for the info, Kelly. 

On 1/21/2017 at 7:59 PM, kurie said:

I was trying to figure out this same thing. What commanders do I need for a 2000 man (for example) infantry brigade to avoid the efficiency penalty? It turned out to be pretty simple:

For 2000 inf, you need 45 command (the brigade stat right at the top). I hadn't checked higher sizes, but taking a few sizes up to 2000, it looked like the command required is around (size - 500) / 33.

Brigade command is around 0.1 * brigade_cmd_rank + 0.05 * division_cmd_rank

[...]

Just to finish this all off, I went back and checked how the other troop types scale with command:

artillery(in guns) = (1/4) * command + 4

skirmishers = (20/3) * command + 100

cavalry = (35/4) * command + 116

But there's a weird cap on all three of these where above a certain command level, you seem to be able to add as many men as you want without penalty:

artillery: 60 command

skirmishers: 45 command

cavalry: 60 command

So I guess it makes the most sense to aim for those command values to get the most bang for your buck.

Edited by kurie
trim the quote down

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2017 at 3:01 PM, GeneralPITA said:

Andre and Mercanto get their own caste so that makes four. 

I just discovered this by accident :P This is hilarious and flattering :D 

On 22/01/2017 at 3:18 PM, Andre Bolkonsky said:

I can think of a lot worse things that being lumped in with Mercanto. 

For example, having to read more transcripts cut and pasted off 1st Vermont's USB Archive. . . . <_<

;) 

On 1/21/2017 at 11:02 AM, GeneralPITA said:

I usually have about 20 majors in reserve by the time I reach Chancellorsville. Right now I have 110 brigades and they're all colonel or higher. More than half are generals. 

how the hell did you get 110 brigades? jesus christ.  are you maxed out to 100 logistics or something, and conscripting all the men?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2017 at 9:53 AM, Wandering1 said:

Army Organization 10 gives you 24 brigades per Corp. x 5 = 120 Brigades max. Not that every map allows you to have 120 brigades.

120!!!!! Just into First Bull Run after I started with 4, I had to pause the game go to my doctor and get prescriptions for;

1) Muscle Relaxant I got so tense moving from unit to unit at warp speed as the Union attacks on all fronts with thousands of troops

2) Anti sickness pills to prevent dizziness from trying to manage navigate all over the map to manage numerous fights especially to be sure units hold when I said hold and that my arty units didn't try to melee when I was just trying to direct their fire

3) Anti depressants when watching you tube UG vids and see players come out of major battles with 10% or less losses while my guys are lucky to get out of a battle with 40% losses!!!

120???? Boy I'm in trouble going forward!!!!:o

16 hours ago, civsully1 said:

120!!!!! Just into First Bull Run after I started with 4, I had to pause the game go to my doctor and get prescriptions for;

1) Muscle Relaxant I got so tense moving from unit to unit at warp speed as the Union attacks on all fronts with thousands of troops

2) Anti sickness pills to prevent dizziness from trying to manage navigate all over the map to manage numerous fights especially to be sure units hold when I said hold and that my arty units didn't try to melee when I was just trying to direct their fire

3) Anti depressants when watching you tube UG vids and see players come out of major battles with 10% or less losses while my guys are lucky to get out of a battle with 40% losses!!!

120???? Boy I'm in trouble going forward!!!!:o

There is a little bit of scaling that helps drop the enemy soldier counts if you don't field 120 brigades. You're not expected by default to max out 120 brigades.

It's just there for people who want to have the scale of managing a large scale battle.

Many of the 10% losses or less results are often from ending the map early, or otherwise being passive on high cover points. I typically push for total army annihilation, since generally the enemy will have better guns than you, so trading for guns if you aren't short on manpower is preferred.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2017 at 2:59 AM, kurie said:

I was trying to figure out this same thing. What commanders do I need for a 2000 man (for example) infantry brigade to avoid the efficiency penalty? It turned out to be pretty simple:

For 2000 inf, you need 45 command (the brigade stat right at the top). I hadn't checked higher sizes, but taking a few sizes up to 2000, it looked like the command required is around (size - 500) / 33.

Brigade command is around 0.1 * brigade_cmd_rank + 0.05 * division_cmd_rank

(The corps commander does not matter for command.)

I valued the commander ranks using the following XP ranges. (You can find where they are in the range by hovering the mouse over their experience bar.)

0-99 captain

100-199 major

200-299 lt. col.

300-399 col.

400-499 brig. gen.

500-599 maj. gen.

600-699 lt. gen

So, the upshot is a brigadier general with 50 XP toward his next rank (450 XP = 45 command) could command 2000 inf essentially on his own, regardless of the division commander. A major with 50 XP toward his next rank (150 XP = 15 command) would need his division commander to be a Lt. general (600+ XP) to command the same number of men without the penalty.

Of course this all may have changed since I measured it I think some time in late December. Also I was only looking at CSA, so I guess the rules could be different for Union?

I think you are not taking Base Ratings (Average Recruits) into account... maybe I'm mistaken. I'm just guessing with Custom Battle Army Creation window.

One of the problems could be that the code uses Big Float numbers and those get Rounded to make user-friendly ones, so you can't hit a Formula 100% accurate.

Two Leader's Xp rating may look like 3 (or even worse... 0) but have a different white Xp bar longitude by a few dots (0.5, 0'7...). That's because the number is rounded in the end. So a little mishap with a decimal could be a full 2 integer mistake.

Also, Lt Gen. Xp rating is hidden because the tooltip says it has already achieved Max rating. That's untrue, cause we know it keeps leveling, and growing up our units stats.

Some facts are clear:

• Corps Commander has nothing to do with Command Rating, at least at some noticeable level (maybe gives decimals).
  • Both Division and Brigade Leaders give bonuses to the number. Swapping both of them makes this evident.
  • Brigade Leader's Bonus weights more than Division Leader's.
  • If you put 0 Xp lowest rank officers still there is a minimum that does not scale. So there must be another hidden bonus.
  • With 0Xp difference in ranks throws like a 10% step increment.

Let's do some numbers:

Taking 2 Colonels Abner and Burke with 71 and 74 Xp each, setting Abner as Division Leader and Burke as Brigade Leader and not changing anything more (same Commander, same Unit) Command Ratings gives 55. If we swap both Leaders Command Rating gives 56. How it's possible, if Burke has 3 more Xp!!!

So that proves Brigade Leader Rating weights more.

If we multiply by 0.10 and 0.05 we end with garbage... not matching 55 nor 56.

Any expert on maths here?

Here is Command Rating Formula Calculation. It is finished.

UPDATED Command_Rating_Formula_v.1.0.xlsm

Usage: Fill in Leaders Xp and Chose the Rank from the List.

Let's take Captain Rank as Rank 1, and Lt. General as Rank 7. As @Shigemori said...

A captain will give zero points, major 10 points and 10 additional points with every rank he gains. This not only depends on the rank but on his experience (the grey bar) too.

A division commander gives half the amount of command points he would give as brigade commander to all brigades in his division. So a Colonel give 15 points, a Brigade General 20 and so on. There seem to be no other effects. He doesn't give experience points.

So Brigade Leader adds 10 per level whereas Division Leader adds only 5. But Shigemori was mistaken in a fact: Division Leaders DO add Command Rating on behalf of their Experience amount (but less than Brigade Leader).

(((Division Officer's Rank less 1), multiplied by 5), plus (XP  by 0,06)) + (((Brigade Officer's Rank less 1), multiplied by 10), plus (XP by 0,09)) <---- Each portion gets Rounded to get rid of decimals.

=SUM(((C5-1)*5);(ROUND((B5*0,06);0));((E5-1)*10);(ROUND((D5*0,09);0))) in Excel, where...

C5 is the Div Leader Rank cell and B5 its Xp amount.

E5 is the Brig Leader Rank cell and D5 its Xp amount.

Had to figure out the "less one" trick so not to add 1 level in excess of bonuses.

Thanks to Shigemori who gave me the last clue.

Edited by LAntorcha
Updated and Finished