Game-Labs Forum

Content plans for the first half of 2017

Here we go with some more "Well, this didn't work out how we thought, so we'll just scrap the system entirely rather than making some adjustments to make it better/more immersive." 

Hostility system wound up being a bit of a dud because of poor design choices which could be changed for the better. 

Battles should have remained open for 30 minutes at minimum. On top of that there should have been a clear indication of a general area where battles could be found and entered. PvE should have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER (and did I mention never?) been an element to the hostility system or conquest in general. Ports should have remained conquerable on an individual basis, with generation of hostility for that port being in a relatively small radius around it. Region bonuses given if a faction was able to take all ports in that region. 

Could have even integrated the old "Flag System" into the hostility system. For example: 

Hostility has to be driven up to 100%. Instead of the stupid 48 hour waiting period, players can now purchase the conquest flag and sail it to that port to initiate the battle. That way, screening and a little bit of cat and mouse play can be had. Tweak as necessary as to prevent too much exploitation. 

Pirate mechanics definitely need to be looked at. I'm all for the choice to be a full on brigand or a Privateer, with Privateering being my preferred course of action. Would be great to be able to help out whichever Nation I wanted to.. For a profit, of course. Let me sign a short term contract with a nation and be granted access to the diplomatic perks that go with. That way, if I want to help an underdog Nation I can fly their flag for a bit. Even do some Pirate hunting were there to be some 'Rats I found to be distasteful. 

I'll wait and see what's planned as a replacement for officers. Hopefully something more immersive..

Don't care about missions, whether they exist or not. Stopped doing them, have more fun "grinding" xp by hunting on the OW be it for other players or good NPC targets. 

Kickstarter stuff..

Put me in the camp of people who think it would be a better thing to just open up a cash-shop for cosmetic stuff like paints/flags/sail colors etc. Players love customization options, and if said options are reasonably priced will happily buy them. Would be a better long term cash generator to help fund continued development.... 

Edited by Rhodry Heidenrich
  • Like 10

On topic.

This shows me what i though for a long time sadly. Sorry but developers in GL have no idea what they are doing, what they want to do with this game, and tbh have no idea how to develop game at all.

Basic mistakes, and all what i see is jumping from left to right. Replacing some mechanics and then throwing it away like garbage.

Thats not how games are being builded and developed.

And when i hear that i already got enough from what i paid ... then really i have no words and end stunned.

Edited by Hethwill
National News content removed
  • Like 4

Those two things actually go hand in hand. Given how, as I understand it at least, the game started development as purely the battle instance and then got its open world added on top of it, so it is unclear as to what kind of sandbox they intend(ed) to make.

It seems like we're caught inbetween the extremes of either having a no-holds-barred sandbox (a la EVE nullsec) or a restricted one that treats the combat instance as the main game and the OW as its facilitator. Maybe I'll go digging to find a statement of intent somewhere.

As announced, timers will return. They also said in october patch that:

"Timers are removed (for testing) as we believe that in new system port battles will arrange themselves when there is max presence of players for both size (due to pvp impact). Also we expect that all timezones will need to participate to bring hostility to the port battle levels. If this assumption proves to be inaccurate we will bring back lord protectors (but with wider time limits)"

Hope they will be implemented soon :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, E.P. Juel said:

As announced, timers will return. They also said in october patch that:

"Timers are removed (for testing) as we believe that in new system port battles will arrange themselves when there is max presence of players for both size (due to pvp impact). Also we expect that all timezones will need to participate to bring hostility to the port battle levels. If this assumption proves to be inaccurate we will bring back lord protectors (but with wider time limits)"

Hope they will be implemented soon :)

Unfortunately I think they overestimated the willingness of the cats to cooperate in being herded. ;)

Edited by Angus McGregor
  • Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 7:51 PM, OlavDeng2 said:

well if we compare MMO, let us compare it to the biggest. Lets compare it to World of Warcraft, legion wasnt released all too long ago, remind me? what did that cost? i know for sure that wasnt free. Or what about guild wars 2? that is a pay once play for ever style game, you pay for expansions there as well. Ship packs are essentially expansions.

That make no sense since the game is not even finished, but else, i got the point...

• Like 1

Just a suggestion on timers and PBs.

What makes this frustrating is fake PBs. Indeed no issue at all having the US pull a flag for 2am if.... they show up. And we can expand this to all nations.

So why not make the conditions for a PB being validated, a minimum amount of BR present?

Imagine Nation A attacking Nation B, PB is set for day x/ time y. Nation A shows up with 4 frigates hoping Nation B isn't defending. Well 4 frigates doesn't sum up to the minimum threshold allowing a PB to be validated. They can cap, and do what they want, the PB doesn't flip because the initial BR to trigger a valid PB isn't obtained.

Now they can still harass Nation B by making them show up but if they didn't really plan a valid PB, then Nation B can show up with the minimum threshold for defense and hope that Nation A is taunting. If Nation A doesn't show up with the minimum BR, they can go straight to bed or do something else as the PB is officially unvalidated.

Not a perfect solution but removes some pressure.

I like to see that there is a bigger purpose on stuff in OW and the national goals. When I enter a battle (please make this easier - it IS a wargame after all - longer timers - longer timers - longer ti... well, you got it) then the outcome of this battle raise hostility or contribute to a national score, somehow. When I build a ship this build is contributing to the AI fleets that sail around in OW or similar stuff. In other words: any and all action in OW should be a national "score" somehow. The actions should be seen in OW, in politics etc. in more than one way. What I do in the game should have some effects in OW somehow. 

That would make the game great again (a phrase heart in the white house btw).

• Like 3

On 1/21/2017 at 8:55 AM, van der Decken said:

Folks, please consider taking the interest poll for the planned content changes. The last question of Part 2 is multiple choice. So far the Raids, Pirate Mechanics, UI, and Marks of Victory have the most interest, but this is with only 46 ppl voting. PLZ and TY.

Part 1
Part 2

Wow, what a nice poll I have here. :ph34r: So far, about 100 votes taken. Keep passing it around. Also, take the Kickstarter poll by @Angus McGregor asking what kind of packages you're interested in and for how much you'd be willing to spend.

Could you please make a post that describes the details and quailties that go into the ship making process? For example, how do you measure scale of the ships in the graphical editors you use?

I admit, I'm skeptical of crowd funding a project directly to this game post purchase. I would much rather pay for a DLC for cosmetic items like painted sails.

Or maybe those guys simply didn't resort to the things we did that got us that restraint. Translated tidbits of info is still better than none at all.

Just as with the hostility system, "this is why we cant have nice things".

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

I'm unimpressed with the new mode of communication from dev's since apparently the lack of interaction only applies to English speaking parts of the forums and ideas posted there. @admin deigns to respond to Russian threads, even minutes after they're posted on this topic, yet can't seem to manage an opinion here? Google translate may be our only way to get important ideas to the dev's from now on it seems.  :ph34r: I won't say they're biased but it bears consideration...

Lol. We got 1-2 Answer this month. About a biased attitude you say?

Edited by TemplarCrusader

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

I'm unimpressed with the new mode of communication from dev's since apparently the lack of interaction only applies to English speaking parts of the forums and ideas posted there. @admin deigns to respond to Russian threads, even minutes after they're posted on this topic, yet can't seem to manage an opinion here? Google translate may be our only way to get important ideas to the dev's from now on it seems.  :ph34r: I won't say they're biased but it bears consideration...

My friend Vasya said that @admin posted:

• 2 msgs in Happy New Year and Seasonal Greetings
  • 1 msg in Revert NPC OS speed back...
  • 1 msg in Devlog: Forthcoming content patches plan
  • 1 msg in Content plans for the first half of 2017
  • 2 msgs in Планы на контент патчи
  • 1 msg in Зерг и ночь, ключ к победе

5 msgs in english and 3 msgs in russian. 5>3

english win :).

Also you can read @Barberouge but he speak french. He more talkative than @admin

Edited by qw569
  • Like 4

Stop that nonsence talk please. I think the devs need some time off-line to make a good game out of this. 

The thing is that many opinions doesn't work as a tool from a certain point in the process. Only early on. From some point you need to finish a product once you know what direction you are heading. Silence could be a good thing. 

Unless totally amateurs they must know what direction to move in based on stats, players feedback, fun, not fun etc.

If I where the manager I would make the team move forward and rely more on themselves and less for the surroundings.

If the product fails (it will in this state) they got the tools and experience for the next product.

Maybe with a smaller scope. A Trafalgar Battle game or napoleonic fleet game. It's a step taken by the Total War Series after the mediocre Empire TW.

(And make more easy access to action for G sake, please).

• Like 2

The return of the flag system, couldn't it be like raise hostility to 100% and then you're able to purchase a flag from any friendly port 30 minutes after hostility reaches 100%. So we don't need to go back to sitting out a port timer in front of a port just because someone might pull a flag. Would make the game more dynamic, would not keep people away from NA as there is always a chance for PB's, and we'll probably be back to a couple of PB's every day.

About the communication of the devs, I think they're helping themselves allot by doing this. It might make a more coherent game over all, when you're not constantly torn between catering to the needs of either a age of sail purist and a competitive player decision making might go allot faster, and idea's won't get ditched because of some forum rants before the idea is even finalised.

I hope we can have a new patch soon, seems so long since the last one :)

• Like 1

May I also recommend you add a civil war feature within individual nations.  This will allow clans with separate goals to fight with each other and prevent alt accounts from attempting to dominate a long established clan within a nation.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Taurus454 said:

May I also recommend you add a civil war feature within individual nations.  This will allow clans with separate goals to fight with each other and prevent alt accounts from attempting to dominate a long established clan within a nation.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

What a terrible idea.Sanctioned green on green has never worked well in this game. If you're fed up with the direction your nation's going, reroll under the black flag. 

3 hours ago, SirSamuelHood said:

What a terrible idea.Sanctioned green on green has never worked well in this game. If you're fed up with the direction your nation's going, reroll under the black flag. 

What a terrible conclusion. Dont be too quick to make one without giving it any thought. Have you considered clan wars when one clan declares war on another clan from the same nation and they fight just like two nations at war?

• Like 1