Ink

Hotfix 7 for patch 9.97

90 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rediii said:

I agree it needs a fix though. The current system doesnt scale with the serverpop. Imagine a server with 2000 players online and 600 of them want to go to the portbattle. Impossible to coordinate. Portbattles will not be tactical anymore. will be a mess without a place for RvR clans which train for portbattles.

This point is what made me see the light and change my mind about how regions are captured simply by taking the regional capital ports..This concentrates too much importance onto that one PB. Yeah - imagine the outrage when favoritism continues to be routine in a pool of hundreds of captains wanting into a PB.

The suggestions for taking the other ports as an alternative method of capturing the region are the idea that sparks my interest. You can either take the regional capital port directly and certainly face the "elite" team, or... launch simultaneous PB's against all the outlying ports and dilute the "elite" effect. Take a simple majority of the other ports and take the region that way. Do both strategies at once by launching attacks against all the ports and really increase your chances. This would certainly give the "riff-raff" a better chance of participating in PBs and spread the fun around.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Angus McGregor said:

This point is what made me see the light and change my mind about how regions are captured simply by taking the regional capital ports..This concentrates too much importance onto that one PB. Yeah - imagine the outrage when favoritism continues to be routine in a pool of hundreds of captains wanting into a PB.

The suggestions for taking the other ports as an alternative method of capturing the region are the idea that sparks my interest. You can either take the regional capital port directly and certainly face the "elite" team, or... launch simultaneous PB's against all the outlying ports and dilute the "elite" effect. Take a simple majority of the other ports and take the region that way. Do both strategies at once by launching attacks against all the ports and really increase your chances. This would certainly give the "riff-raff" a better chance of participating in PBs and spread the fun around.

I don't disagree there should be a mechanism to generate more port battle type of content (give us raids already). But by allowing simultaneous port battles like what you propose, it basically lets the largest group win.

This is a significant problem for smaller nations, and perhaps we shouldn't try to balance it too much, but keeping that in mind is important.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't disagree there should be a mechanism to generate more port battle type of content (give us raids already). But by allowing simultaneous port battles like what you propose, it basically lets the largest group win.

This is a significant problem for smaller nations, and perhaps we shouldn't try to balance it too much, but keeping that in mind is important.

Agree completely.

And here we come around to how interdependent things are and I'd recommend changing the following first.

IMO there should be a limit hard-coded into the alliance system to prevent mega-block alliances. It should be handled right in the voting code. The servers can tally a running weekly average of active players per nation. If an alliance between 2 nations would potentially exceed some 'threshold' percentage of active players  - don't even give the option to vote "ally" between those nations. What that threshold % should be, I don't know but it could be tried at different levels. The goal would be to 'herd the cats' into multiple smaller alliances.

NA desperately needs a mechanism to prevent the 2 block alliance stalemate we have now comprised of >80% of the player base. Something better than just telling everyone to go pirate.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this issue has been "sort of" addressed already by the devs.  The people who actually do the work and build hostility points build "personal" hostility points for that region and have first dibs on getting into the port battle.  I, personally, am all about th pubbies learning the ropes on useless port battles while the server population is low before release.  That being said, I also think it is rather selfish to not be sufficiently prepared (TS3/ decent build ship) when you do, in fact, participate in a port battle.  One thing I've noticed about the US base as oppsed to the other factions, is that there tends to be more chiefs than indians.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Vernon Merrill said:

... there tends to be more chiefs than indians.

I think that sums up the current state of the game. The vast majority of the player base is pretty hard core, strong willed and dedicated. There just isn't enough content to support casual sailors who can't sink 1000s of hours and scale the bare, vertical face of the learning curve. (Point to the dev's: It has nothing to do with us hardcore players not being inviting and positive towards new players, it has everything to do with how brutal a system it is.)

Having player-generated port battle-like content is a must for mid-rank players to get better and have fun as they move into participating in RvR activities. And the more you can make content for new players that also feeds into that the more the world will feel alive for them and draw them in.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wraith said:

....scale the bare, vertical face of the learning curve.

Such a perfectly apt phrase.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

.One thing I've noticed about the US base as oppsed to the other factions, is that there tends to be more chiefs than indians.

4

Having been to just about every recent US port battle and even more than that with Brits/Dutch I'd say this is not an accurate assessment of the US.  In fact I've seen more chatter and question of orders elsewhere.  If you'd of been in a battle recently you'd of noticed we're miles ahead of where we were 6 months ago.  

Where we do fall short is unity and participation amongst the clans.  There is far too much egotism and hurt feelings that get in the way of "America First".  Other nations seem to put aside their bullshit to keep PB fleets together and give a shit about national objectives.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're still beating this dead horse, huh?  I think what you need to realize is that YOUR endgame content is not EVERYONE's endgame content. TDA has always been more focused on PvP than RvR.  What you take for "egotism" is more accurately a lack of interest. I'm not sure how many times we need to butt heads over this.  There are some people that are willing to help out when they're around, but you already know who those people are.  And yes, the US faction is getting better and more cohesive in large group combat. It's encouraging to see.  I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you on here, so you can reply through our VCO filter, Chijohn, if you'd like. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

You're still beating this dead horse, huh?  I think what you need to realize is that YOUR endgame content is not EVERYONE's endgame content. TDA has always been more focused on PvP than RvR.  What you take for "egotism" is more accurately a lack of interest. I'm not sure how many times we need to butt heads over this.  There are some people that are willing to help out when they're around, but you already know who those people are.  And yes, the US faction is getting better and more cohesive in large group combat. It's encouraging to see.  I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you on here, so you can reply through our VCO filter, Chijohn, if you'd like. 

 

ok best buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Vernon Merrill said:

You're still beating this dead horse, huh?  I think what you need to realize is that YOUR endgame content is not EVERYONE's endgame content. TDA has always been more focused on PvP than RvR.  What you take for "egotism" is more accurately a lack of interest. I'm not sure how many times we need to butt heads over this.  There are some people that are willing to help out when they're around, but you already know who those people are.  And yes, the US faction is getting better and more cohesive in large group combat. It's encouraging to see.  I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you on here, so you can reply through our VCO filter, Chijohn, if you'd like. 

RvR is the best Pvp :D edit* after the PvE we have to do to set battles :(

Edited by Coraline Vodka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't say the US has more chiefs than Indians.  Leadership works together.  However, Vernon has a point.  Port Battles isn't everyone's end game.  I personally don't like Map Conquest Simulator half the time because it is all I do anymore when I am on.  TDA has two camps, hence why some port battles we have 8 or so players show up, and then the camp that doesn't like to do port battles.  When the camp that does do port battles isn't on, no one shows up.  If I'm not on, I can't show up to help out.  It can be held against us, but where was everyone when we sat every night in the Bahamas or Florida in Feb, March 2016 to defend ports?  Activity waxes and wanes.  Low game population, lower turnout for port battles and hostility.  Facts of the game.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the next patch, that actually could be here soon already...

Add a number of players in this region, right next to regional capitals symbol, that round dot on map.  Can be updated for example once per 5 minutes.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And please just give us a patch already!

Commit to implementing one feature to *test* on the main servers per week, for which we can give focused feedback for that week.  Instead, implementing a slew of things on a test server that can't be tested because the server populations hover around 5-10 is just ineffective.

We need new content desperately.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 2/14/2017 at 4:56 PM, Vernon Merrill said:

I think what you need to realize is that YOUR endgame content is not EVERYONE's endgame content.

 

On 2/14/2017 at 5:34 AM, Wraith said:

Having player-generated port battle-like content is a must for mid-rank players to get better and have fun as they move into participating in RvR activities. And the more you can make content for new players that also feeds into that the more the world will feel alive for them and draw them in.

I have been talking about this in the past. All the problems that we have trying to marry up two camps, issues among players and clans is easily avoided by changing political system.

I didn't says "sorted". I said "avoided" on purpose because Im not offering a fix. I'm offering a system that would simply make this issues impossible in the first place.

Nation politics to be removed from players. Instead they are storyline driven. There are about 25% of all lands is nation permanent regions that cant be capped and provide basic resources and means for surviva, so no nation could be driven to extinction causing players to leave and/or have those "hurt feeling" for next 12 months.

Instead Clan Politics introduced. Each clan decided for themselves. Clan can claim lands and fight for free-to-cap regions and even make those regions their home. So smaller clans dont have to be dragged into nation politics by larger clans against their will.

Edited/added: This also means if two large clans have a problem with each other (BLACK/CKA war) they sorted directly. Other clans may join the fight, but will never be involved against their will.

Then give us raids and plunder mechanics that actually means getting or losing stuff, so to have PBs doesnt always mean conquer territory. Attacking clan controlled region ensures that there will be a fight.

In order to draw people away from hunting at capitals, need to sort out the resource gathering and the economy that concentrate players interests on specific places creating player content and means fight/hunt/trade all in same areas.

Edited by koltes
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2017 at 7:30 AM, Wraith said:

And please just give us a patch already!

Commit to implementing one feature to *test* on the main servers per week, for which we can give focused feedback for that week.  Instead, implementing a slew of things on a test server that can't be tested because the server populations hover around 5-10 is just ineffective.

We need new content desperately.

Some of the things they really need to fix still hasn't even been touched in the test server (US prime time locked-out of Port battles).   Though other things like the alt agro Mission Grind thing is fixed in test and should be implomented on the main servers. Other than some hot fix's type patches we haven't had a good real patch in three months.  

9.97 was December 5th

9.96 was October 20th

9.95 was September 1st

9.94 was August 17th

While I get that 9.97 has had a lot of nice hot fix's and all, but the average of one steppign stone patch per 3 months is about that time.  Hell just do the wipe and bring out the new ship  crafting.   Since it's apparently pirates aren't going to get crap for any real mechanics other than just a broken/half national mechanics we might as well just push this game into 10.0 and move to beta with what all we have......but until than can we get 9.8 and the current stuff in testbed that work pushed to the main servers.  The things that don't work yet and need testing can come later with 9.9?

1 hour ago, koltes said:

Then give us raids and plunder mechanics that actually means getting or losing stuff, so to have PBs doesnt always mean conquer territory. Attacking clan controlled region ensures that there will be a fight.

We really need a proper raid system.  Even if it's just pirates that have it though I know all the Nats would complain, bet you a proper raid will get more players to show back up as it's instant PvP like the old flag system.  This new raid they talk about is a PvE thing.  yah it's nice to add new features, but it's still a mainly PvE raid that players can join to play the NPC's of the other side and is not a true raid.  Just bring back the old flag system with 12 vs 12 (I been saying 15 but 12 fits better as max group size) and have it cause agro on that port/region to help flip and give some reward for capture/raided goods upon that port.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.