Game-Labs Forum

British Frigate Southampton (1757) - 3D Model

T1ckL35

A quick question to any modellers. How much of the ship do you combine into a single mesh? Can you leave some bits separate and if so which?

(my thinking is for if you were looking to get a model in game)

Edited by T1ckL35

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the advice guys - I generally group items without merging them unless they are a number of items that make something specific (if that makes sense?) so hopefully things will be fine.

I've been away recently but started on the ship's wheel for a bit of modelling variety

southampton-35.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35

7 minutes ago, T1ckL35 said:

and the first 'test' upload to sketchfab :)
Looks like it needs work on making sure the edges are rendered correctly and also the stern isn't rendering properly at the minute as it isn't a solid object but it gives me plenty to look at:

https://skfb.ly/66pXN

Your doing a fine job mate! Very impressive!

• Like 2

Indeed a very nice looking model, maybe it will make it into the game someday.

Unfortunately for what i understand making the 3d model of the hull seems to be the "easy" part of making a ship for the game, all the thing like the damage model, the sails/rigging and all the moving part take a lot of time and work aswell.

I've now updated the model with a stern that has the inner edges added (not really visible unless looking inside). It should be the same link but if not this one does the same:
https://sketchfab.com/models/ca7d542c808e42fc931e60b731d3a96e

Cheers balticsailor.
As SteelSandwich says, if there is anything more that can be done to help get a model into the game then I am happy to help :)
Being a sysadmin/dev myself (admittedly with AWS systems/application programming rather than game programming) I know some of the complexities regarding taking prebuilt things and making them work in a different context :)

Edited by T1ckL35

Does anyone have any good reference material or details on the rudder of one of these? I now know the hinges are called a pintle and gudgeon but am not sure how many of these attachments would have been on a rudder such as the Southampton (or similar)?

1 hour ago, T1ckL35 said:

Does anyone have any good reference material or details on the rudder of one of these? I now know the hinges are called a pintle and gudgeon but am not sure how many of these attachments would have been on a rudder such as the Southampton (or similar)?

Without taking a chance to research it, I'd guess five-six of them. Four or five along the main body of the rudder, a gap above them, then the sixth up near the head. That's just a guess offhand though. As far as references, Brian Lavery's "The Arms and Fitting of English English Ships of War, 1600-1815" has a chapter on rudders.

Edited by Talos
  • Like 1

It varies with size, era, and design of the ship. I was just giving some average numbers I've seen on various British frigate designs of similar size. It's usually SOTLs with the reinforced rudders with a larger number of them.

Cheers for the pointers Talos
Sounds like 4 to 5 were common in the early-mid 18th century for frigates and more the later you go, so I might go with 5 and see how it looks.
I've seen a few bits of the book you mentioned and it is very very useful for anyone modelling ships! :)