Game-Labs Forum

British Frigate Southampton (1757) - 3D Model

T1ckL35

Figured this out - basically the top of the keel is notched and three triangular shaped pieces slot in with slots for the rails and which also make the cross beams for the gratings to attach to.
This was the site and wood model process of the victory bow that helped:
http://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&t=3242

southampton-23.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35
changing image to smaller jpg to recover some posting space

"gunports" that is ;)

But I would advice you to cut them later. Its very easy to model along the hull when it still i in one piece. Means you have an easier time modeling the wales and all that needs to be attached to the hull. When your gunpots are cut you might have a harder time figuring all that out.

What you can do is use the boolean modifier as a preview. But editing the hull is a lot easier when it still is in one piece so tosay.

Other than that your vessel is turing out better after each new post ;)

• Like 2

hehe cheers for the correction Bungee :)

You are also right with not cutting them out till the gunwales are done. I had a go earlier and realised I'd done it the wrong way - a good way of wasting a fair bit of time :(
Still I've got them in and have started adding the decorative edges down the sides - it'll be the other way around next time!

southampton-27.jpg

I just saw the kickstarter thingy on getting more ships built for the game. I'd be happy to donate this one when done - although I know from experience if the mesh is done in certain ways then the modeller that takes it over can get frustrated with 'fixing' it for the game engine.

So if there are any tips or examples of people doing a ship for the game then it would be great to see :)

Edited by T1ckL35

Cheers guys :) I've just had a look at the ragnar threads and there are still some images up. Looks like he did a really good job. I'll just have to hope a dev see's this and has some tips on how they configure the ship models in game. There's actually still a fair way to go at the minute so I'll just keep adding to it and hope it comes out ok.

• Like 1

I'll ask around, i'm pretty sure a few of the guys i am friends with on steam have Ragnar on their steam. 
If they do i will ask them to send him a message and ask him (Ragnar) if he can contact you on this forum :)

For now though, i suggest you keep up the nice work and perhaps send a PM to @admin with any questions you might have regarding modelling of ships! 
- PS, if you dont receive a response right away dont worry, the Devs are busy most of the time and receive lots of PM's so answering them all can take some time :D

you can do different things. You either use the boolean modifer (difference option). Make blocks that represent the cutting points. like this:

On the right you can see all the booleans I use to simulate the gunports and hawse holes.

However that modifier messes your mesh to a level that is obscene. Sadly for some cuts you will end up using it still. And for a purely visual preview the boolean mod is super nice since you do not have to apply it to see the effect.

589cddd15ac71_booleanmodifier.thumb.jpg.6488cde565139d5c736b53e84b0ebb92.jpg

The better method (for me at least) is cutting. Using the knife tool. (press 1:"k": knife tool; 2: "z" to cut through the whole mesh) My systematic goes thus:

I join the gunports with my hull mesh. select the two objects and click "ctrl + j". Now you have one object. The boolean for the gunports will also no longer work since the reference for that is gone. Also note that your new object will apply all mods from the one you selected at last! 

Now you use the knife tool and follow the edges of the gunports. That makes sure your ports are all identically sized and even. After the cut you delete the block and optimize the new mesh you now created.

Make sure you always only ever have faces which are maximal 4 points (vertices) big. Do not create "n-gon" wiith 5 or more vertices!

589cdf8a61454_cuttool.thumb.jpg.f4ae9de08a5b871f03b72b76baf3f511.jpg

Thats how I do it. Any more questions? Feel free to PM me. I can also come to any teamspeak if you need some advice regarding ship modeling. (EU time for me however)

• Like 2

Cheers _Masterviolin. If you want things looked over for some advice then either start a thread or just pm me your progress and I'll help. You will get more help in your own thread but I know how daunting it can be doing something like that when you are just starting out in 3D :)

I've been hunting about for more reference material and found this model:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/101694772527851562525/album/AF1QipPCPXoQcZDqJ-zizl3cNMsu-L0mL4cO_cNrh3ty

It is very similar but also has differences so just thought I'd post it here in case anyone can shed light on it definitely being the southampton? It looks like the decking has some features of both the Southampton and her sister ship the Minerva when looking at the deck plans.
It also has 14 gunports along the side whereas the Southampton plans I have been using has 13.

Southampton decks in 1776:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/82861.html

Minerva decks in 1770:
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/82899.html

Edited by T1ckL35
  • Like 1

That model is incorrectly labeled-it's not the Southampton, but a Richmond class frigate built to the same specifications at the same time. 

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66457.html

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66458.html

Entirely different & more traditional lines based off the earlier Royal Caroline

• Like 1

Thanks captain Armstrong that's greatly appreciated. I didn't want to start polluting the model with parts from other ships.

It has helped me think about the deck layout more at least (without having any specific source material to work from)

Adding some more parts around the main mast. I've also added a slightly lower side deck and started adding stairs. This is a bit of guesswork now as the deck plans dont cover it. I'm also looking at a couple of other 3D models people have built which is helping to come up with something that *may* have been similar

southampton-31.jpg

You people that can do this and make it look so effortless, just upset the crap outta me.  :P

I'm overwhelmed with the degree of detail.

Of course being a mechanical engineer and using real CAD every day, I've tried several attempts at this freehand stuff, and I just can't seem to get my head around it.

Hehe cheers A. P. Hill
It isn't effortless though (or at least not for me). I'm constantly going back and sorting mistakes and doing it the long way around whilst still trying to learn Blender.

You should do some freeform modelling such as heads, faces and bodies - that helped me greatly when I started and then gave me the confidence to reel it in when doing more technical (well in my eyes - probably not yours) pieces like this :)

Here's another update. I've been looking at the Richmond and Venus class frigates of around the same time from the same/similar designers to get a better feel for the deck layouts and step arrangements. Also the cleaned up deck plans differ to the 1770 ones on the admiralty blueprints website so I've slightly tweaked things based on these. It may be wrong or inconsistent but at least this part in the picture can be updated quite easily if anyone has any more information/references or better examples of what it might have been like.

southampton-33.jpg

Edited by T1ckL35
Swapped the image as the previous one had some railings missing