Game-Labs Forum

Gaines Hill, 30 + 25 Brigades, if I only have half Im I F:ed?

Adelthorne

Im Plaing Confederated, Realised to late that at Gaines Hill, My Army have not enough manpower. I had just started to fill upp my second Corps.

My problem have not been manpower but mainly buying rifles. I have 57 rep.

My setup

1Corp

1st; 2k Inf *Spr55, 2k Inf * x2 Spr421,8 Inf * Spr42, 7 Guns ** 24How.

2nd 2k Inf * Miss, 1,7 ** MJ&G, 2k Inf ** Spr55, 1.2 Inf * Spr42, 12 Guns ** 12Nap.

3rd 404 Cav * Colt55/S, 542 Cav Cav * C55/S, 472 Cav *** LeMat, 10 Guns ** 12How, 382 Skirm * Spencer.

2nd Corp all Green

1st 2k Inf Rfarm x2, 2k Inf farm, 8 Guns 12How, 8 Guns 12Nap.

2nd 2k Inf farm x3, 6 Guns 12Nap, 4 Guns 12Nap.

3rd 2k Inf Miss, 369 Cav Cook, 6 Guns 10Par, 500 Skirm Hunt.

I feel abit under powered. Is a point even doing the mission, or is it re-do and do-it-right?

You have plenty of spare rep, you should be using it on guns, IMO. However, you could probably still win the battle because the Union only starts with a small portion of their strength. And positioning matters more than numbers. Its easy to outflank the Union on this map.

As far as army composition goes, you really spent a lot of money on support units. Expensive LeMats and Spencers don't do a lot of good if you don't have enough infantry to hold the enemy in place. I find that for melee cav, you might as well just stick with Palmetto/Sabre all the way because it has a higher melee value than anything other than LeMats, for a fraction of the price. There are unconventional strategies with lots of cav, but generally speaking the vast majority of your force should be infantry.

Edited by KaleRaven
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KaleRaven said:

You have plenty of spare rep, you should be using it on guns, IMO. However, you could probably still win the battle because the Union only starts with a small portion of their strength. And positioning matters more than numbers. Its easy to outflank the Union on this map.

As far as army composition goes, you really spent a lot of money on support units. Expensive LeMats and Spencers don't do a lot of good if you don't have enough infantry to hold the enemy in place. I find that for melee cav, you might as well just stick with Palmetto/Sabre all the way because it has a higher melee value than anything other than LeMats, for a fraction of the price. There are unconventional strategies with lots of cav, but generally speaking the vast majority of your force should be infantry.

As I said had to buy everything possible, to expand my corps, Since I was afraid I did not have enough. And as i said, I lost alot of officers, and had hard even to get rebored farmers to fill my infantery. So my only option to fill the second corp was with Cav and Skirms and Artillery.

After winning the battle though, by getting Cav and one elite and 2 skirm down the south in the Swamp, I waited until I got, second Corp on the bord and just rounded them up with surprisingly low casualties. I also deployed alots of Skirms from my original brigades. Fun map.

Edited by Adelthorne
Spelling

22 hours ago, Adelthorne said:

As I said had to buy everything possible, to expand my corps, Since I was afraid I did not have enough. And as i said, I lost alot of officers, and had hard even to get rebored farmers to fill my infantery. So my only option to fill the second corp was with Cav and Skirms and Artillery.

After winning the battle though, by getting Cav and one elite and 2 skirm down the south in the Swamp, I waited until I got, second Corp on the bord and just rounded them up with surprisingly low casualties. I also deployed alots of Skirms from my original brigades. Fun map.

I am currently playing this same scenario as the confederates....I have 3 corps with 3 divisions each and 5 brigades and not all the brigades are at full and my third corp is all green and have only 1000 man per .... I used this corp for the first portion and concentrated two divisions on the left side.. the other division I move it a little to the right side to keep the union forces honest ... I took the victory point on the first time slot.... when my second corp arrived, I move the division back to its corps and the second corp attacked the right side point...when my first corp and my best one arrive as the manuever corp, took henry hill no issue.

• Like 1