Game-Labs Forum

Union Missions

i64man

I have a question with regard to the 3 missions before Gains Mills. I had played the union campaign to this point before the latest patch. With the new patch, I started again and up to Shiloh everything was smooth. I beat the confederates soundly in Shiloh, so I figure things will continue that way....boy was I wrong. So far, I have attempted the Secure the River and Rendevouz as the Union, I used my first corp which the divisions on that corp are max out to 2000 men. On the secure the river, the confederates forces, all of them have over 2500 men per brigade....it doesn't matter if the ironclad bombard the tree line, my 4 batteries of artillery concentrate on the center or a specific unit, I try to flank the trees from both sides while doing a faint up the center.... I can't get past this mission..... on the rendevouz, I am limited to one division, here the confederates have less men per brigade, but they have more brigades .... any ideas how to get past this two missions?

On 12/29/2016 at 11:27 PM, i64man said:

I have a question with regard to the 3 missions before Gains Mills. I had played the union campaign to this point before the latest patch. With the new patch, I started again and up to Shiloh everything was smooth. I beat the confederates soundly in Shiloh, so I figure things will continue that way....boy was I wrong. So far, I have attempted the Secure the River and Rendevouz as the Union, I used my first corp which the divisions on that corp are max out to 2000 men. On the secure the river, the confederates forces, all of them have over 2500 men per brigade....it doesn't matter if the ironclad bombard the tree line, my 4 batteries of artillery concentrate on the center or a specific unit, I try to flank the trees from both sides while doing a faint up the center.... I can't get past this mission..... on the rendevouz, I am limited to one division, here the confederates have less men per brigade, but they have more brigades .... any ideas how to get past this two missions?

Secure the Center:

Move all of your big brigades up to the north and use the tree line to start walking brigades in. They only start with artillery up there and one brigade usually so you can get a lot of early damage in. As your forces get over there you're going to have 3-4 brigades focus firing on one. Get your artillery set up to crossfire on that northern side as you push down and you should be able to start sweeping through the trees. As you push in, then you can bring units in to flank the center and if you are careful about distance, they get free flank shots while standing in the open. Just walk and push down through the trees at that point. Cavalry can be used to swat the enemy skirmishers and ranged cavalry that might be hanging around in the north.

Rendezvous:

Pull your units east into the tree cover right from the start and set up there. You can get free kills on skirmishers as they path in from the south by just leaving cavalry down there and/or using a brigade to insta melee them. Just hold that position until your last brigades come in, then push out now that the numbers are equal. Take the tree cover right across the river at that point and north from there with most of your brigades, push another brigade or two south more to the other trees to spread the enemy out, then use those as good fighting positions until you force them to fall back and you can quickly tighten the noose. Eventually you should be able to push them northeast (try to get a brigade into the big forest early to keep them from going NW, it's annoying out there) and use the river as another barrier to kill them on. Cavalry can take a wide circle south and then west and north and probably catch a brigade on its own it can kill.

Edited by Hitorishizuka