Game-Labs Forum

Amount of battles + side missions.

Perkon

The main battles are the ones that happened, while the side ones? Im not US, I dont know in depth Civil War, are they made up, or real, both maybe? Game is already pretty short, and even if we have all the battles added + side missions to come, it still wont be long, bang bang, and its all over.

Is it possible to make the game longer?

I found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_Civil_War_battles though I wouldnt call some of these as battles, or even shirmishers, since some have barely any casulties, but gameplay wise, adding them would make sense, since they are often about capturing, defending strategic positions, etc., also, the more resemblence to the history of US Civil War, the better.

Early Access game usually have a road map to view, or something like that, where the plans are shown, but I cant seem to find any here.

Edited by Perkon

I don't know that I agree the campaign is and will be short. 

It takes 10-15 hours to complete the campaign now depending on how much you fast forward. There are still battles to come that take several days so the last ones will take much longer than the current ones (Gettysburg fx.). 

I'd say about 25-35 hours needed to complete the campaign once it has been completed. 

The side missions are a mix of historical and made up battles I think. I know some of them happened but if they happened as represented I don't know. 

Perryville and South Mountain were battles. 

There will be about 14 major battles + the minor battles. So I don't think, that the campaign will be too short, although I would like to see as many battles as possible major or minor in the game, naturally. Personally, I usually need much more time (than Koro's estimate) to complete the campaign in its current state. But I spend a lot of time in the Army Camp screen too ;). I haven't found the time to play the Historical Battles yet.

Side battles: As far as I have seen, some battles are historical ones (Valley Campaign, South Mountain, Thoroghfare Gap, Perryville, Iuka ...) others are made up and some take place at historical battle locations (Newport News) but the engagement is fictitious.

Here's your "road map"!

Why Early Access?

“Army field exercises and combat trials are required to test weaponry, battlefields, supplies and progressions systems.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“2-4 months maximum”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“Early access edition 

• Battle of Aquia Creek 
  • Battle of Philippi 
  • First Battle of Bull Run 
  • Battle of Shiloh 
  • Battle of Gaines' Mill 
  • Battle of Malvern Hill 
  • 2nd Battle of Bull Run 
  • Battle of Antietam

+ 10 minor battles 

Release version 

• Battle of Fredericksburg 
  • Battle of Stones River 
  • Battle of Chancellorsville 
  • Battle of Gettysburg 
  • Battle of Chickamauga 
  • Battle of Cold Harbor 
  • Battle of Richmond 
  • Battle of Washington

+ 13 minor battles”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“Fully playable and stable. EA campaign ends at Antietam. Full release will feature the complete civil war.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“Price might go up after release.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“Game-Labs actively works with players. Your opinion and feedback is extremely important for making the game better. Please don't stay silent and share your voice of support or criticism on the company or steam forums.”

Thats not a road map, at least for me, thats just a list of battles to come, that may be a smart move from the DEVs, that they didnt include any details at all, because if they would promise stuff to come, and it wouldnt come, people might get upset. On the other hand, I like to know plans for the future, detailed plans, as this is not the only Early Access game that I have, I compare it to the other titules, and... it lacks a road map, it lacks any info to be honest. These patches come and go.

Thats what I consider a road map, there better available, but this one is good example.

803d724b2d7b41fbaf7b3f3f1cbd2959.jpg

Edited by Perkon

On 12/30/2016 at 2:25 PM, sonnypemberton said:

it would be soooo nice to have a modding tool so that others could pitch in with battles too....

I'm hoping that's coming later on as part of the "Custom Battles" function. Workshop integration would make this game a monster.

Edited by KaleRaven

I can only add that as soon as the game is finished will all the bells and things,,,, it will be great. Now if mod would be allowed, I am no modder but hopefully any additions can be incorporated into the campaign. I have been waiting for such a game and finally there is one. Thanks and excellent work.

One thing to keep in mind is that Game Labs is a small team and putting out large and detailed road maps takes development time!

Just got the game over the holidays and I like the way it plays so far. For an EA game the in game manual is quite nice and I feel the interface is improved over UGG. It is a nice break from the MMO craziness of  Naval Action :P

UG: Napoleonic Wars next please! (kidding, ok maybe not....)

Have you thought of some additional battles through DLC? Like the confederate attack at Fort Donaldson for the union?, or Wilson's Creek for the CSA, (This includes minor battles) Like Maybe add an additional major battle for pea Ridge because its early enough that the players armies would be about the size they were at the battle. Also the attack on fort Donaldson. Maybe an additional minor battle like Fort Marauder. Also why not have the battle of Ceder Creek, or the Battles of the Atlanta campaign?

I actually like the small battles more then the large. Even though the large are surpsingly cool with several stuff open up, and sometimes diffrent side and stuff.

But I would like to start out as a Captain or Major, and hence just doing a part of the big picture in the beginning, and not until I reach Colonel or Brig.Gen I get a full division, and those still just do the division part, Like holding the bridge i 1st Bullrun.

On 4.01.2017 at 0:40 AM, Makethemhowl said:

Have you thought of some additional battles through DLC? Like the confederate attack at Fort Donaldson for the union?, or Wilson's Creek for the CSA, (This includes minor battles) Like Maybe add an additional major battle for pea Ridge because its early enough that the players armies would be about the size they were at the battle. Also the attack on fort Donaldson. Maybe an additional minor battle like Fort Marauder. Also why not have the battle of Ceder Creek, or the Battles of the Atlanta campaign?

DLCs are a cancer, I hope there will be none, release the game later instead, add more content, thats what I support.

Edited by Perkon
  • Like 1