Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedback v0.70+

Nick Thomadis

The new patch is finally available. Read what's included HERE!

We will appreciate your urgent feedback to improve the game more with hotfixes. 

EDIT 21/12/2016 HOTFIX 1
HotFix rev17635 Uploaded
- Fixed missing South Corps in Fredericksburg
- Fixed Custom Battle lack of resources (This feature is not finished yet, please note)
- Fixed some recommendations in text
- Fixed double Visibility Boost Points in Thoroughfare's Gap Battle
- Fixed expensive North Government Officers in Fredericksburg campaign phase
- Improved AI in its ability to flank

EDIT 22/12/2016 HOTFIX 2
HotFix rev17643 Uploaded
- Fixed freeze in Shiloh
- Fixed issue with zero size of units in Custom Battle

EDIT 22/12/2016 HOTFIX 3
HotFix rev17653 Uploaded
- Reduced AI army size penalty that was caused from victories because it could cause unbalanced and very easy battles
- Fixed a couple of wrong battle effects (for example morale should be reduced, not size of AI army)
- Increased AI aggressiveness and persistence to keep objectives. Previously the AI would evade and withdraw too frequently making battles too easy

Please note that if you save during a battle, some fixes regarding Corps deployment or dynamic battle effects may not be applied. Better you use a previous save taken in camp.

23/12/2016 Hotfix Patch 0.71
We just deployed an important fix that addresses a potential game freeze during a battle that could make it impossible to continue and finish. If this problem persists please report to us by pressing the F11 button. Thank you for the help and understanding!

You have to restart Steam to receive the update fast.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Sandermatt said:

What does the friendly fire bugfix in  the patch notes mean exactly?

Friendly fire was not working consistently. Units could fire while being blocked by friendlies completely in front of them. 

Friendly fire fix was not made too strict because it would make gameplay far more different and would require more micromanaging from players.

So this bug fix affects more the AI, to make better lines that don't merge with each other.

• Like 2

I just feel somehow that the game did get even harder. Can u explain to me how I should win Crampton's Gap now (normal difficulty)? The enemy has 9 infantry brigades, 2 skirmishers and 2 artillery, of course all of them 3 stars (Wtf?) and also has a great defending position. After the update it seems his brigades even get bigger. I can use 4 brigades at the start and half an hour later +5 brigades. Nonetheless the confeds not have only more manpower, a defending position and are much more experienced than my men (although i kicked their ass in every battle until now), the map is also in their advantage. Feels just frustrating.

Edited by Lif

23 minutes ago, Lif said:

I just feel somehow that the game did get even harder. Can u explain to me how I should win Crampton's Gap now (normal difficulty)? The enemy has 9 infantry brigades, 2 skirmishers and 2 artillery, of course all of them 3 stars (Wtf?) and also has a great defending position. After the update it seems his brigades even get bigger. I can use 4 brigades at the start and half an hour later +5 brigades. Nonetheless the confeds not have only more manpower, a defending position and are much more experienced than my men (although i kicked their ass in every battle until now), the map is also in their advantage. Feels just frustrating.

You send two brigades in the woods south of the positions and put one in the foresto the left as a screener to advance the rest of your troops behind. 

Then you can get in your flank and behind them. 

I've been frustrated with this map too but this made it very easy. 

The map is perhaps affected by the dynamic function that can make AI bigger or smaller depending on victories 

The map continues after the timer runs out and you can choose when you want it to end 

• Like 1

Thanks for your advise. I tried, but I don't feel there is enough room to cross the left flank, see picture. Enemy is very op. And about this dynamic function: For every union men I killed 3-4 confeds in this campaign, so I would be suprised if this is the case.

EDIT: Well, it kinda worked nonetheless. At least I could win the flag in the last seconds. My thanks!! But this is hardly fun.^^

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Lif

23 minutes ago, Lif said:

Thanks for your advise. I tried, but I don't feel there is enough room to cross the left flank, see picture. Enemy is very op. And about this dynamic function: For every union men I killed 3-4 confeds in this campaign, so I would be suprised if this is the case.

EDIT: Well, it kinda worked nonetheless. At least I could win the flag in the last seconds. My thanks!! But this is hardly fun.^^

Unbenannt.png

Please report this battle with F11 during your game, so we can look if there is a problem.

43 minutes ago, Lif said:

Unbenannt.png

It is related to whether or not you win battles, so if you lost any battles in the campaign before it, 2nd Bull Run or South Mountain, the AI might have gotten bigger.

I bug reported these but I figured I'd post as well to get some more visibility:

1) Dedicated skirmisher brigades never shoot on their own initiative and require force attack commands constantly. This is really annoying given their expensive rifles they should be using all the time but as battles get larger and larger it's easier to miss them. Depending on the battle this can only be a small loss in damage (if the enemy brigades are staying in contact for a long while) or a large loss in damage (if the enemy brigades are routing and cycling back quickly).

2) It's possible to swap Officers out in camp in between days of multi-day battles (Shiloh, 2nd Bull Run, etc) and can be beneficial to do so for Officers who have been wounded so as to get the unit's Command/Efficiency back to par. This even seems like a logical thing to do since it's downtime and it's possible for some level of administration. However, doing so bugs the officers removed in this manner as the game does not properly recognize them as Wounded but applies a Command/Efficiency malus as if they were. Finishing another Grand Battle afterwards does not fix the problem. (Best guess is there are two separate flags and the visible Wounded flag that the game also checks for heal isn't set until end of battle and only for officers actually in battle.)

• Like 1

I have a few questions. This new dynamic campaign feature, does it only effect individual grand battles (ie, winning Newport News only effects 1st bull run) or does it carry through the entire game? And lastly, if I played and won a battle in version 0.68, do the victories there carry over to this new version? (Like, if I won Harper's Ferry in 0.68, got the new patch, and went to Antietam in 0.70, will the previous victories effect the current battles?). Just a bit curious, loving the game!

2 hours ago, Sgt Shriver said:

I have a few questions. This new dynamic campaign feature, does it only effect individual grand battles (ie, winning Newport News only effects 1st bull run) or does it carry through the entire game? And lastly, if I played and won a battle in version 0.68, do the victories there carry over to this new version? (Like, if I won Harper's Ferry in 0.68, got the new patch, and went to Antietam in 0.70, will the previous victories effect the current battles?). Just a bit curious, loving the game!

From what I just saw, it seems like manpower is only affected in the big battles. Winning small battles does give extra bonuses to big battles, like a lower enemy morale or less manpower. This is just my observation as the confederates after Antietam though. The small battles were tough nuts to crack and ended up costing me more men than what I got for them.

Even though winning every major battle with a high damage output doesn't stack, it will be beneficial in a way that you lose less men and have the ability to build a bigger army. 

12 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The new patch is finally available. Read what's included HERE!

We will appreciate your urgent feedback to improve the game more with hotfixes. 

Alright, how do I access my antietam battle save? Because i'm in game now and I can't seem to do so.

Edited by vren55

9 hours ago, Lif said:

I've won all battles.^^ I don't want to imagine the difficulty of this map if you're lost 1-2 battles. :-D

Otherwise great update.

How were you able to load post-Antietam save?

EDIT: Nevermind it suddenly loaded for me when I clicked last save file...

Edited by vren55

some common bugs I ran into today:

- Edge-of-map unit bugging issue is happening a lot to the AI 

- Units routing behind your lines a lot more frequent now

- Units will suddenly change or abandon orders after battle transition - i.e. the timer will elapse, triggering another wave of reinforcements.  when the battle re-starts previously-issued orders (like charges) are abandoned, or sometimes units have new, unexpected orders that were not issued. 

other observations

- 'blocked' mechanic seems to be working fine and is not a negative impact on gameplay.  - good job on this

- dynamic campaign changes are a good compromise  

- I have not mentioned this before but it puzzles me that right-clicking to order a unit to move causes that unit to move more slowly than if you were to draw a line to the same spot instead.  

1 hour ago, Sandermatt said:

Can you see in advance what rhe small battles will provide as bonus?

Yes you can. When you're on the battleS map (not the same as the battle map), the one with a map of North America on it, you can see some tiny squares in the upper right, hover over them to see which bonuses/maluses you can get

25 minutes ago, Don't Escrow Taxes said:

- I have not mentioned this before but it puzzles me that right-clicking to order a unit to move causes that unit to move more slowly than if you were to draw a line to the same spot instead.  

It's because a unit will always deploy in line if given an attack order, which kinda makes sense as they need to be ready for a fight. Only moving orders will make them move in column. 

Also sometimes you will feel ur unit is excessively slow but its because terrain speed modifiers have been added for swampy/muddy areas, just hover the mouse on the map to see the speed bonuses/maluses for each part of it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sgt Shriver said:

It depends on each part of the campaign. Winning large battles can affect the ennemy armies in latter major battles, it's not only the smaller encounters that matter. I dont think minor battles get affected by dynamic bonuses however.

The patch will adapt to your save. FX If you won Bull run in the previous version it will still impacts later battles in 0.7 (that's a least what I experimented with Antietam)

Just picked this game up two days ago. I finished the CSA mission before Malvern HIll and the enemy was projected at around 41,000. I turn it off to eat lunch and boom the patch goes through and the enemy is down to 33,000. 

I've found that there is still army scaling in the campaign to make it challenging, but it is not as extreme as before. Can you reveal how much an increase of 10,000 troops will change the size of an opponent's army or does it change based on the scenario? 

I was actually... a slight bit disappointed by Fredericksburg.. The previous two battles are fine. They weren't as difficult as earlier ones but required me to bring all my previous knowledge and take advantage of my maxed out general's political skills to bear.

But when I took up Fredericksburg, I expected to be very outnumbered and very much in trouble as I only managed to raise 76384 men. Mostly 1 star veterans though with good equipment.  

Oddly enough the Confederates only sent 36169 men to counter me and I managed to destroy them, killing 15K men for 17k loss, going by a somewhat circuitous flanking maneuver in the main attack and just smashing through them with brute force at Marye's heights. It wasn't that difficult though... b/c I concentrated numbers prospector's hill was taken very easily. Marye's heights was more difficult due to having to need to take telegraph road... but i still managed it.

I calculated that due to me winning the previous battles, the original force they would have brought would be 41232 men, which would have been more of a challenge... but then I figured out that 41232 would match me in force ratio like the historical battle of Fredericksburg and I won the battles that gave me buffs for Fredericksburg.....

I dunno. Maybe it was because historically Fredericksburg was terribly mismanaged..... but I expected a stiffer fight from the Confeds. Take as what you will devs, I'm still eager for the next battles.

13 minutes ago, vren55 said:

I was actually... a slight bit disappointed by Fredericksburg.. The previous two battles are fine. They weren't as difficult as earlier ones but required me to bring all my previous knowledge and take advantage of my maxed out general's political skills to bear.

But when I took up Fredericksburg, I expected to be very outnumbered and very much in trouble as I only managed to raise 76384 men. Mostly 1 star veterans though with good equipment.  

Oddly enough the Confederates only sent 36169 men to counter me and I managed to destroy them, killing 15K men for 17k loss, going by a somewhat circuitous flanking maneuver in the main attack and just smashing through them with brute force at Marye's heights. It wasn't that difficult though... b/c I concentrated numbers prospector's hill was taken very easily. Marye's heights was more difficult due to having to need to take telegraph road... but i still managed it.

I calculated that due to me winning the previous battles, the original force they would have brought would be 41232 men, which would have been more of a challenge... but then I figured out that 41232 would match me in force ratio like the historical battle of Fredericksburg and I won the battles that gave me buffs for Fredericksburg.....

I dunno. Maybe it was because historically Fredericksburg was terribly mismanaged..... but I expected a stiffer fight from the Confeds. Take as what you will devs, I'm still eager for the next battles.

This is the impact of the dynamic function. It certainly makes the game easier and it takes perhaps too much out of the AI forces at Fredericksburg for both sides.

I assume a lot of people should now play on hard instead of normal because of it as well. As you win battles, it can get rather easy.

EDIT 21/12/2016
HotFix rev17635 Uploaded
- Fixed missing South Corps in Fredericksburg
- Fixed Custom Battle lack of resources (This feature is not finished yet, please note)
- Fixed some recommendations in text
- Fixed double Visibility Boost Points in Thoroughfare's Gap Battle
- Fixed expensive North Government Officers in Fredericksburg campaign phase
- Improved AI in its ability to flank

You have to restart Steam to receive the update fast.

My first impressions on the new update :

Great work as always.

Morale has somehow changed a bit, as my units tend to surrender more often, almost systematically in bad conditions. Now you have to watch out.

As CSA hard campaign, the small battles are now tougher. It's no longer possible to chase/destroy the AI as it is too strong. 1st Bull Run was harder than previously, though not too hard, the AI did not concentrate on Henry Hill, so I kept her busy here and there forever.

My first win ever on Shiloh as the CSA. I supposed you fixed the Hornest Nest instant battle end bug. It really felt epic chasing the Yankees trying to withdraw.

The CSA new "uniforms" could be a bit more polished I suppose.

Custom battle mode seems to work alright, this is a very interesting feature if you are to go multiplayer.

Enemy units stuck behind your lines really need to be dealt with. It's a real pain for the game.

Oh and maybe, you could add a VERY-hard campaign mod next time. I'd really love to lose a campaign. What's more, you have to delete "restart" button if playing in such mode.

Edited by Grognard_JC