Game-Labs Forum

In Real Life the national NAVY would store the ships when they were not assigned to a Captain (called ordinary).

We need either the Nation or (more likely) the CLANS to have a way to store ships that are not assigned ----- THAT IS -> IF we are going to have proper WARS!

---

I have no idea how many warships I have given to Captains only to see them stop playing the game = lost at sea, when they should be returned to ordinary

Edited by Magnum
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Magnum said:

In Real Life the national NAVY would store the ships when they were not assigned to a Captain (called ordinary).

We need either the Nation or (more likely) the CLANS to have a way to store ships that are not assigned ----- THAT IS -> IF we are going to have proper WARS!

---

I have no idea how many warships I have given to Captains only to see them stop playing the game = lost at sea, when they should be returned to ordinary

Its been suggested several times and I do believe I saw somewhere that they are considering it. 

There is a nice thread on our wishes regarding clans here. 

eye yei yei - no no no no.

if that Captain is not on or no longer playing the game - all 230 ships are lost to his clan :(

With a clan dock (say 50 ships) - for a fee of course - there could always be a way to defend their ports for a nation (clan?).

Why do you guys insist on looking at it from a modern ownership perspective - IRL no NAVY Captain considered he OWNED his ship. Where do you think the HMS _____ came in?

-----

Also a clan dock could be made the only place you can park 1st rates overnight (or they are impounded by the game) - that would limit 1st rate spam in the game - no parking = don't build more! :P

Edited by Magnum

Magnum, what about privateers on the OS ?  Privateers held privately owned ships or corporately/privately sponsored.  They don't belong to the Admiralty (or not necessarily).  Many players play this way.

Also, your suggestion might have merit, but seriously if you fear continuously losing your ships, then you should stop giving them away; give others assistance but keep your ships.  Otherwise, if you're set on giving them away, then you need to consider it like a sold ship never to return.

I guess what is being said here is if you each have available to you 230 ships and there are multiple clan members, then seriously what do you care if you lose a few?

Edited by Jean Ribault

1 hour ago, Jean Ribault said:

Magnum, what about privateers on the OS ?  Privateers held privately owned ships or corporately/privately sponsored.  They don't belong to the Admiralty (or not necessarily).  Many players play this way.

Also, your suggestion might have merit, but seriously if you fear continuously losing your ships, then you should stop giving them away; give others assistance but keep your ships.  Otherwise, if you're set on giving them away, then you need to consider it like a sold ship never to return.

I guess what is being said here is if you each have available to you 230 ships and there are multiple clan members, then seriously what do you care if you lose a few?

Actually I did say NAVY Captain ....... so Privateers would not be included.

------

This game lacks a model for a real Navy - where the ships and their Captains where really just the tip of the spear. Personally I would like to see some ideas and implementations that set a game version of various NAVY services into place ----- just sayin ....

41 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Actually I did say NAVY Captain ....... so Privateers would not be included.

Yep, you sure did.

Someone else suggested somewhere that players wouldn't own SOLs and they would be assigned by Admiralty, can't remember what thread.  One of the things that bugs me about what you said above is: why would a player take a ship from you in the first place and quit playing without returning it?  Courtesy is lost somewhere in that transaction. :unsure: