Game-Labs Forum

Different National Flags in Battles

When you join on your allies side you take the flag of the country that was the initial attacker/defender. Could there be a way to always have your national flag in any battle no matter who started it? I know this is not extremely important but it would be cool to see all of the colors flying in a battle when there are people from different nations. What do you guys think?

• Like 6

While it would be cool, but I kinda understand why they do it.  It's so you can tell who is all on your side for the most part.  Some times you can't see a players name or it's showing the wrong ship in the top right corner and all you got to go off when you fire upon a ship is the flag on it.   If you use multi flags it can get a bit more confusing.   

Easy for me I just fire at any flag that isn't Pirate lol

When I switched from US to Pirate I think I did a few accidental green on green cause that was all we fought as US players.   Takes a bit to get broken from so I can see if I was fighthing another nation that I was at war with and than next week we aren't and he's on my side and I see that flag I might accidentally fire upon him.

Would be nice, but I can imagine the number of times that I'll confuse the Dutch and the French flags in the midst of combat when there's several of them to keep track of. ^^

This would be so sweet. We could have Trafalgar with French and Spanish flags showing on the same team.
And mistaking flags is a feature not a bug to be honest. With smoke and sails obstructing views, mistaking the White Ensign with the Danish flag happened a lot to me. I even raked a friendly because of it.. beautiful rake too.

4 hours ago, Eishen said:

With the lately popular Green-on-Green tribunals this  would be an unending source of excuses....  "ups that french flag looked as verenidge" kind of...

1 hour ago, Eishen said:

would love it to be so... but until/if  penalization  for green on green damage are integrated feature this would cause of drama in the community

I have to disagree with you here. I think most of the community knows who their allies are and what their flags look like. Also you can see very clearly who is on your side by hitting tab, simply looking at the person, or opening your map. Accidental hits occur all the time anyways.

Edited by Aventador
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Snoopy said:

Well a penalty system wouldn't go off if a stray chain shot hits a friendly I hope. Some amount of friendly fire (including the occasional full broadside by accident) is to be expected.

It exist now indeed , you can see penalization in post battle screen... the "trick" could be escalating them in a way were mistakes/miscelaneaous damage is treated as now but serious "team killing" or meaningful damage is severely punished

My noncommittal input: I agree with both sides of this.  :D

You certainly need to be a responsible player and understand who your allies are at all times when leaving port, plus learn their colors.  Onus is on you.  On the other hand, a finite amount of friendly fire in a battle with many ships at close range should be expected, and is not unusual.  Ultimately, I'd side with players retaining their own colors upon entering a battle with allies.

• Like 3