Game-Labs Forum

Cosmetic changes

Von Barcelona

Some cosmetic suggestions which in my humble opinion  could improve reality of this game.

Display flags and regiment banners. Those great flags on each unit!

Different colour and textures for CSA uniforms soldiers. If could be included the red trousers for Zouaves....

Same for horses and arty.

Show officers and subordinates in battallions. Maybe at side or in front of each unit.

Greetings from Barcelona. 

• Like 2

I know it has been also asked for UG:G but i don't give up to have  pairs of flags for units, both star and stripes and regimental flag.  Imagine the sons of Erin with the green one or South Carollina rifles with their blue banner

In relation to uniformity, Why not different hats for Iron brigade or at least different colors for their top hat?   Zouaves could be very easy to display; only red pixelation.

And for arty, If you can see different cannons and colours in the barracks , why not see them on the battlefield?

Edited by Von Barcelona

i agree with the OP. I hope flags/colors/banners will be added and I really hope for a few unique uniforms/units to be added as well. I don't know how difficult or expensive it is to add more uniform variations to the game, and we don't need dozens of different uniforms in the game, but it would be nice to have at least 4 or 5 different unique uniforms for each side.

Maybe for the Union add Iron Brigade (with Hardee hats), sharpshooters with green uniforms and two or three Zouave uniforms/units and for Confederates Louisiana tigers and two or three other special units with unique uniforms.

• Like 1

Ah, Barcelona! Las Ramblas! Muy bien!

on this same topic: 

• color code divisions so brigades which can merge for a divisional assault can be easily identified.
  • The cannon assigned to individual artillery brigades MUST be easier to identify. 
  • When the game is nice and spiffy, and working properly, THEN work on the cosmetics of uniform/hat/flags/commanders/etc. It would make a nice touch. 

i would love to see some changed arty fire animations, different for solid shot and different for shells.. (solid shots didnt explode, they mowed down anything in their path, bouncing multiple times - after all, that was the main use of these projectiles, and gunners were trained to accommodate those grazes to deal most damage - also, solid shot hitting the flank could kill a lot men passing through ranks..), and of course a bit more obscuring smoke.. which should even make some units hard to detect..and greatly reduce accuracy.

Zouaves would be a Great addition!

Also add sharpshooters unit with green uniforms. (or make skirmisher units have the green uniforms (not the ones detached from a brigade during a battle, but the formed skirmisher units))

Would also like to choose my commander portrait at the beginning of the campaign. Just a little thing that adds to the immersion. 

• Like 1

is important for the immersion the historical uniform and historical name of the units.

if the next game is on napoleonic epoch,the appearance of the uniforms becomes essential.

Units of cavalry of lancers,carabiniers cuirassiers,husares,chasseur,dragons,emblematic units like the scott greys, the dragons of the queen of the french imperial guard or the grenadiers on horseback Can not be represented with the same model of unit,With the infantry the same happens and with the artillery.

In this game to be able to see the uniforms of the tigers of louisiana or the iron brigade between other units would give even more quality to the game.

Edited by anibal barca

Why not just give player option to alter the uniform of own men? after all, units are just sprites, it shouldn't be that hard to give player option to alter certain sprites for different color, while keeping the overall look.. a lot of old games had such option actually, for example old Jagged Alliance 2 had such simple option at the character creation, here, it could be just a simple option to let say chose secondary color for the brigade...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15-12-2016 at 4:42 PM, JaM said:

Why not just give player option to alter the uniform of own men? after all, units are just sprites, it shouldn't be that hard to give player option to alter certain sprites for different color, while keeping the overall look.. a lot of old games had such option actually, for example old Jagged Alliance 2 had such simple option at the character creation, here, it could be just a simple option to let say chose secondary color for the brigade...

I would absolutely love that.

Age of Rifles had this feature, back in the 90's. You could recreate nearly any uniform from the 19th century by changing hats, jackets, trousers and shoes. 

A feature like that would make it more easy to go for a next aera, be it napoleonic, Crimean war, Franco-Prussian, what have you.

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Andre Bolkonsky said:

... on this same topic: 

• color code divisions so brigades which can merge for a divisional assault can be easily identified.
  • The cannon assigned to individual artillery brigades MUST be easier to identify. 
  • When the game is nice and spiffy, and working properly, THEN work on the cosmetics of uniform/hat/flags/commanders/etc. It would make a nice touch. 

Regarding your first and quite possibly your second points, (and you may already know this, but just in case ...,) the unit identification bar at the bottom of your screen, if you click the top most bar, be it corps or division, it will not only highlight the units under the bar, but the corresponding troops on the field are auto-selected.  This will allow you to click on a command and then select a rally point on the field and all troops belonging to that selection will then advance to that point.

With regard to your third point, Yes, I highly agree. Get the game working flawlessly first.  Cease the commando operations of routed troops behind enemy lines, get the playability of the game more functional, etc.  As for the cosmetic uniforms, not so much.  By the second or third big battle in either theater, the governments had become savvy enough to weed out and order all militia style uniforms out of existence.  Yes, this means, the Zouaves didn't have pretty pajamas, the sharpshooters lost their greenery, and all state associated uniforms became obsolete. It literally became a battle of blue vs gray. (However due to variances and qualities and quantities of materials, the South's gray often became butternut, or tan, or some average homespun.)  By 1862 the South had manufacturing facilities working on standard style uniforms, including all state produced uniforms.

So I'm kind of against the "pretty" and "varying" uniforms after 1st Bull Run/1st Manassas. 

Edited by A. P. Hill
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

Regarding your first and quite possibly your second points, (and you may already know this, but just in case ...,) the unit identification bar at the bottom of your screen, if you click the top most bar, be it corps or division, it will not only highlight the units under the bar, but the corresponding troops on the field are auto-selected.  This will allow you to click on a command and then select a rally point on the field and all troops belonging to that selection will then advance to that point.

With regard to your third point, Yes, I highly agree. Get the game working flawlessly first.  Cease the commando operations of routed troops behind enemy lines, get the playability of the game more functional, etc.  As for the cosmetic uniforms, not so much.  By the second or third big battle in either theater, the governments had become savvy enough to weed out and order all militia style uniforms out of existence.  Yes, this means, the Zouaves didn't have pretty pajamas, the sharpshooters lost their greenery, and all state associated uniforms became obsolete. It literally became a battle of blue vs gray. (However due to variances and qualities and quantities of materials, the South's gray often became butternut, or tan, or some average homespun.)  By 1862 the South had manufacturing facilities working on standard style uniforms, including all state produced uniforms.

So I'm kind of against the "pretty" and "varying" uniforms after 1st Bull Run/1st Manassas. 

Regarding your first point, yes, but not quite what I'm looking for. . 

Regarding your second point, well said. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky

• 2 weeks later...

A colorguard that boosts morale would be a nice addition. Similar to a corps commander, but only one per battlefield. Make it an achievement to get the colors to the VPs. Make them squishy. 

Unique uniforms seems like a technical challenge, but some bright red Zouave pants would be neat. 

I agree with op. Unique uniforms would be cool and flags would be nice.

One thing I'd like to see just for immersion is the ability to list the regiments within your brigades. When you create a brigade you could have a section to list all the regiments within that brigade, so for instance with Hays Brigade (Louisiana Tigers) it would be the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th Louisiana regiments.

This is just something I'd like to see added to increase the customization and role play elements of the game.

I'd also like to see the ability to name divisions.