Game-Labs Forum

Before the Holidays

i64man

4 minutes ago, i64man said:

Guys, the holidays are around the corner and we players will have plenty of time to enjoy playing our favorite game(s). With that in mind, is there going to be an update to the game as our Holiday present?

Yes, they plan to make all Union troops wear Santa outfits and all rebel troops will wear grinch costumes. :D jk

• Like 2

OP, The local Scuttlebutt is that an Update, out soon...

---

@ Lincoln ............... a suggestion,,,, Shelby Foote's A Narrative 3 Volume's ~900 pages each. among the best, all encompassing...imo 

https://www.amazon.com/Shelby-Foote/e/B000AQ48MU

Catton(October 9, 1899 – August 28, 1978) was an American historian and journalist, best known for his books on the ACW.

In the early 1950s, Catton published three books known as the Army of the Potomac trilogy. In Mr. Lincoln's Army (1951)..... 

Following the publication of Captain Sam Grant (1950) by historian and biographer Lloyd Lewis, Catton wrote the second and third volumes of this trilogy, making extensive use of Lewis's historical research.

This Hallowed Ground(1956) was an account of the war from the Union perspective. Upon its publication, it was widely considered the best single volume history of the Civil War, receiving a Fletcher Pratt Award from the Civil War Round Table of New York in 1957.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Catton

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lincolns Mullet said:

Anyone have any recommended Civil War books? Looking for a thick tome I can spend weeks reading. Lol 

Gore Vidal's 'Lincoln' is very entertaining. Focused on Lincoln more than the battlefields, it's a fair portrait of the man and reads like a novel rather than a text book. 

Any of the works by Shelby Foote. 

Ah, Watkins beat me to it. Well played sir. 

Edited by Andre Bolkonsky

17 hours ago, Lincolns Mullet said:

Anyone have any recommended Civil War books? Looking for a thick tome I can spend weeks reading. Lol 

Getting this game has made me start re-reading this again.

The American Civil War: A Military History
Book by John Keegan

This is an eye opener...good read 1 Vol.

The Confederacy's Last Hurrah...by Wiley Sword.

https://www.amazon.com/Confederacys-Last-Hurrah-Nashville-Paperback/dp/0700606505

Wiley Sword: follows Hood and his army as they let an early advantage and possible victory slip away at Spring Hill, then engage in a reckless and ill-fated frontal attack on Franklin, often called the "Gettysburg of the West." Despite that disaster, Hood refuses to yield and presses on the Nashville and a two-day bloodbath that unhinges what is left of his battered troops the worst defeat suffered by any army during the war.

Telling the story from both the Confederate and the Union perspectives, Sword pursues ......