Game-Labs Forum

USS Constitution Hull Rework

Hi there,

I recall the developers saying that USS Constitution was due for a hull refit on her 3d model, both in terms of shape (currently a bit boxier than in the real world) and in terms of stern decorations.  Any word as to when these changes will be effected?

Thanks--

It's not correct* and actually has an effect on gameplay because of penetration model.

*of course no 3D model will be perfect, and then there is always the question of Constitution at what date, but the hull geometry is significantly off.

Edited by akd
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Thomas Boyle said:

I knew two topics(in eng. and rus. forums) about the wrong model of Const. But now i can't find these discussions. Devs consider that the model is correct and better than competitors have. Topics were deleted

They consider it better but they know it's not correct.

2 minutes ago, Preble said:

Does this mean the devs are working on a new version?  Can you send a picture?  Would love to see it

It's not a model made by the developers of the game. Nor can i disclose who's model it is or show a picture. (before i get confirmation the maker doesn't mind me sharing.)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SteelSandwich said:

It's not a model made by the developers of the game. Nor can i disclose who's model it is or show a picture. (before i get confirmation the maker doesn't mind me sharing.)

So is a new Constitution model in the works?  Or could it be induced to be in the works?

2 hours ago, Preble said:

So is a new Constitution model in the works?  Or could it be induced to be in the works?

When a admin was on in global chat i asked him about a new Connie model and he said that there are plans but it is not high priority.

Problems of the Constitution model are 1) too boxy hull, no tumbleholm, 2) oversized modern reconstruction bow, and 3) ship is down by the bow because the modeler used keel as horizontal instead of waterline (which makes the oversized bow look even bigger). 

The last problem is easily fixable and would improve appearance as a stopgap measure, but the other two require a new hull mesh, damage models and LoDs redone etc.

23 minutes ago, Pada said:

When a admin was on in global chat i asked him about a new Connie model and he said that there are plans but it is not high priority.

Thanks so much.  If there's any chance we can lobby to bump it up (next patch or two would be amazing), that would be splendid.  Some of the recent modeling work for Endymion and Indefatigable has been incredible, and it would be terrific to give Old Ironsides the same treatment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alex Connor said:

Problems of the Constitution model are 1) too boxy hull, no tumbleholm, 2) oversized modern reconstruction bow, and 3) ship is down by the bow because the modeler used keel as horizontal instead of waterline (which makes the oversized bow look even bigger). 

The last problem is easily fixable and would improve appearance as a stopgap measure, but the other two require a new hull mesh, damage models and LoDs redone etc.

Don't forget lower yards mounted too high, a spritsail that shouldn't exist and a mizzen topsail with distorted dimensions.

The model Steel is reffering to is the one I made for personal research.

https://skfb.ly/WyQu

I modeled this hull using these two plans as reference. You can clearly see the difference between this and the model ingame. But dont use it as 100% reference. The bowsection still looks a bit rough and I am not 100% sure if the wale is placed correctly.

I personally wish theyd introduce Constitution like she looked at launch date. A lot more beauty in that compared to the bulky bulwarks. Less effective indeed. But prettier

ship_plans_high_qual_complete.jpg

constitution_original.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Preble said:

Thanks so much.  If there's any chance we can lobby to bump it up (next patch or two would be amazing), that would be splendid.  Some of the recent modeling work for Endymion and Indefatigable has been incredible, and it would be terrific to give Old Ironsides the same treatment.

Yea the current model of the Connie looks so dull compared to all the new ships. The model is not older then the Surprise or Trincomalee but it lacks detail.

On 12/7/2016 at 2:38 AM, BungeeLemming said:

The model Steel is reffering to is the one I made for personal research.

https://skfb.ly/WyQu

I modeled this hull using these two plans as reference. You can clearly see the difference between this and the model ingame. But dont use it as 100% reference. The bowsection still looks a bit rough and I am not 100% sure if the wale is placed correctly.

I personally wish theyd introduce Constitution like she looked at launch date. A lot more beauty in that compared to the bulky bulwarks. Less effective indeed. But prettier

Hide contents

ship_plans_high_qual_complete.jpg

constitution_original.jpg

There is some evidence that Constitution had quarterdeck bulwarks added during building, as seen here:

3-2263-1_002-1024x595.jpg

This is quite beautiful in my opinion.

Edited by akd
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelSandwich said:

So, what do you guys think of the hull model presented here?

I reckon it would look quite nice. For comparison it would be interesting to have the ingame model, so you are able to see how much it differs.

It's much better then the wooden box we have now. If we could speed up the process in updating the Connie, i think that would make a lot of player happy. ;)

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:44 PM, Thomas Boyle said:

I knew two topics(in eng. and rus. forums) about the wrong model of Const. But now i can't find these discussions. Devs consider that the model is correct and better than competitors have. Topics were deleted

There's a large discussion on the forum HERE about the Constitution.  I made some comments on page 4 about the remake controversy for the one that shows up in Baltimore Harbor.

13 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

There's a large discussion on the forum HERE about the Constitution.  I made some comments on page 4 about the remake controversy for the one that shows up in Baltimore Harbor.

I had bookmarks. I used "Search". Topics are gone. English topic was filled by a lot of pictures and blueprints. It was exhaustive.