Game-Labs Forum

Port Screen UI Idea

I know this is a low priority item, but I'm going to share my idea now so people can discuss it.

ever since I first saw this Image in the Work in Progress thread 10372937_332541546903770_5601034009226276068_o.jpg

I've loved the idea of using a similar scene for the Port Screen UI.

I'm not a game developer/programmer/etc.. So I don't know all the technical detials. but making the port screen a small 3D environment with animated water and a skybox that matches the OW time of day. it would be something like this:Naval Action Port Screeen UI IDEA.jpg

Obviously in a finished state, but the buildings in the port would be clickable buttons that take the place of the buttons in the current port screen, each would have a border highlight and tooltip that when hovered over told you what the building was and what you could do there.

I.E. hover the mouse of the Warehouse and it says "Warehouse; buy and sell provisions and outfit your ship's hold." or the Shipyard "Shipyard; buy and sell ships" etc...

The Fort would be the missions tab and politics interactions. The Tavern for managing crew and officers. Workshop for crafting, and so on.

Additionally when you click on say the workshop you get, say a cleaned up version of the crafting UI, but over a background that looks like the interior of said building like this:Workshop Interior.jpg

I think that having a UI like this for the ports would add a little flavor and immersion to the open world experience. 

Edited by theprof739
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Wind said:

Ah yeah, I remember games that had this in 90s. 

Okay, I fully admit. this isn't an entirely new or original idea, and might have been inspired by  Age of Empires III and a few other older games...645677-925735_20050309_005.jpg

But I think it still has the kinda look and feel the game needs. Making the ports feel alive, especially since we won't be able to walk around towns in first person. Especially if the water is moving, the skybox has moving clouds, day and night time, throw in a few flying birds, and some sound effects and it's really make it look alive, even if it's a glorified menu.

• Like 1