Game-Labs Forum

What ships would you like to see from POTBS?

• 2 weeks later...

The ship models from potbs are way different then the reall ship types. They used different guns to pump up the damage exct

I think you may be confusing the models with what they made into classes.  For example, they used this model:

FW_11.jpg

For the Alexander and Macedon fourth rate.  The model was based on the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde, a real ship.

The Myrmidon, Trinidad, Conquistador where based on La Renommee, also a real ship.

VZ322.jpg

The Prince and the subsequent types used the model of the HMS Prince, also a real ship:

Mile-Bijelic-HMS-Prince-1670.jpg

The Invincible and subsequent types were based on the San Felipe, also a real ship:

kdDSC00343.jpg

Valiant was based on the Ingermanland (which will be coming to this game)

13.jpg

So yes, the types where made up out of whole cloth.  Giving the Prince 16lb main deck just so people must grind for the new 1st rate type using the exact same model is a prime example.  We are not discussing types.  We are discussing models, as shown above.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the time frame NA is in might be a little past the galleon era, otherwise I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Couronne.

Personally, Frigates and rates are nice, but I'm also hoping to see a nice array of armed merchants for the traders and adventurers once the game reaches that stage. I always did like the Oliphant / Mont Blanc in PotBS, it was a capable merchant that wasn't a pushover when it came to trading broadsides.

I would like to see examples of both well known and infrequently seen ships of all styles and rates. There are bound to be some similarities between the games but I'm hoping that NA will be a more 'adult' and historically accurate game. Don't forget that the ships could have a long life so there is scope for several decades of ship design to be present.

I think the shipwrights working on the game have proved their skill, The combat and sailing models are coming along nicely. All we have to hope for now is that the rest of the game will be as good as the small proportion we've already tested. :)

Most of the ship models in that game where based on actual ships.  The ship types were complete fantasy however.  We are interested in the models not the types  ;)

I see. Well as long as we are not putting carronades on ships that were never armed with them or 32 pounders that would have fallen through the decks of some ships on those ships.

In other words I want to face off against ships and see what would have happened not face off against ships that are armed with complete fantasy loadouts.

It sounds like POTBS allowed you to do anything and the ships were just "lip service", facade. backdrop to make the theme seem right.

The Leviathan was based on a generic barque.  We have several ships to choose from for large haulers.  Chief among them being the East Indiaman but we could also have full-rigged Pinnaces, Fluyts, and since we are in the 18th century, Clippers.  

any information what the leviathan is based of? kinda want an big hauler i readed the thread of the one who made her modell but thats long time ago.

I have heard that the person who modelled the Leviathan also modelled the Agamemnon, we could find the guy back in Potbs forums, shame they were closed months ago. I quite enjoyed to read what happened on Antigua and Roberts, there were some funny threads back then.

are clippers not past the 1820 time line to much?

The Baltimore clippers were around in the late 18th century.  Smaller than the larger latter clippers but still quite fast.  Guess not really a large hauler though  :D

Nah, I do not know Marion outside the AoS world. Always thought it was a she?

Anyways, she made some good ships, so I am not surprised to find her about.

Ironically, I didn't play PotBS much...I didn't like that it became so...arcade-like. I am hoping this will be more like the original AoS.

Sing Maartens Zeevaarders Syndicaat leader, if I recall correctly ;)

I recall making some music sample for Marion :)