Game-Labs Forum

New patch incoming

Nick Thomadis

Hello Generals,

We would like to inform you that the next update is close to release. Today we added some necessary fixes and the patch looks good to release tomorrow.

Here is what is going to include:

New features

• Enabled Steam Achievements for campaign and historical battles.
  • In-Game Guide added. The Ultimate General: Civil War manual covers all the basic aspects of gameplay and should help everyone to get started with the game.
  • Added message after the end of Battle of Antietam that the campaign shall continue when more battles are added. An auto-save is created to ensure you can continue later from this stage.

AI

• AI will be able to make more solid lines and protect its flanks better.
  • AI will desire to flank more and keep safe distance when needed.
  • AI will not merge into very dense, inefficient formations as before.

Campaign balances

• When a brigade is created, the most experienced officer is auto-assigned from barracks.
  • Player receives 100% of weapons from captured units.
  • Confederates in Battle of Malvern Hill (North Campaign) will be not so well equipped as before.
  • The Union in Battle of Shiloh (South Campaign) may be less in numbers with more probability.
  • Fixed wrong date of "River Crossing" Battle.
  • In "River Crossing" battle the AI will have more brigades but smaller.
  • In battle of "Cross keys" the AI will have better distribution of forces, more units but smaller.
  • Reduced reputation cost of Government items about -25%.
  • Economy now not only reduces weapons prices but also reduces prices for Officers and increases sell prices.
  • 2nd phase of first campaign battles resets morale and ammo for player's army.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed XXXX officer name.
  • Fixed wrong number of guns in battle recon bar.
  • Fixed issue that made possible to order items from Government with not enough reputation.
  • Fixed bug of deployed units that were placed outside of the battlefield.
  • Fixed multiple issues with battle restart.
  • Fixed multiple issues with advisor hints.
  • Fixed bugs that caused units to freeze at map corners.
  • Fixed pathfinding bugs for group movement.
  • Fixed bugs that happened when units collided with each other.
  • Fixed resolution issues that could make some systems unable to launch the game.
  • Various bug fixes that resulted in game freezing.

Visual

• Improved cannon shot craters appearance.

Sound

• Toned down some camp sounds that were too loud.

Other

• Now it's possible to save in first campaign battles.
  • Added VSync option. This should fix the issue of very high fps in menu for some systems.
  • Added name sorting in officer list.
  • Saves are sorted into list.
  • A few text fixes. Among those text fixes is a wrong message about Cavalry reinforcements in Gaines' Mill which was misconceived by many players as missing reinforcements.
  • Battle will not end suddenly when an objective is contested due to timer. If you find this issue happening in any more battles, please report with F11.
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Campaign balances

This is very, very interesting. Especially if you're playing as the Confederates and money is harder to come by.

Edited by Butch
  • Like 2

I have won the battle of shiloh in the middle level of difficulty with the Confederate side easily.

I do not think the north will have to remove troops in this patch for this battle.

Always play in levels of difficulty where the human player like AI does not receive any type of bonus,to make morale, training and veteran units realistic.

Among many other aspects of the campaign, reckon with a good AI,the bonuses are not necessary.

I would like each battle to influence the number of troops and armament that the two sides will dispose of in future battles.

Looking at this gif prompted this question in my mind:

Is there an analogous function to "spacebar" in Total War, whereupon pressing it you can see a visual overlay of ALL movement orders you have given to units?  I'm not aware of one so far in this game.

5 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:
  • AI will be able to make more solid lines and protect its flanks better.
  • AI will desire to flank more and keep safe distance when needed.
  • AI will not merge into very dense, inefficient formations as before.

• Confederates in Battle of Malvern Hill (North Campaign) will be not so well equipped as before.
  • Reduced reputation cost of Government items about -25%.
  • Economy now not only reduces weapons prices but also reduces prices for Officers and increases sell prices.

• A few text fixes. Among those text fixes is a wrong message about Cavalry reinforcements in Gaines' Mill which was misconceived by many players as missing reinforcements.

Scattershot thoughts:

AI changes are good. I've definitely seen the AI like to climb into dense formations on certain maps. This can work because they're trying to hammer as a strong point instead of do a sweeping advance but sometimes they're too timid to use their local force concentration.

Any buff to capturing units is a plus given how hard it is to do without accepting some risk. Getting only manpower before was worthless.

Malvern Hill is a bit of a grinder for Union, so that's nice. CSA mostly just floods in through the cover lanes and outshoots and it was a little obnoxious.

Economy buff is nice. Something needed to make it competitive with Training and Politics.

Ha. That cavalry message in Gaines' Mill definitely confused me also thinking I'd be getting a free brigade.

I'm REALLY happy to see that formations were "improved".  The blobs/mobs of formations is the only thing that has me not buying this game yet until it is completely fixed.

Does anyone have videos with the new patch so I can take a look at the "improved formations"?