Game-Labs Forum

Division Commander replacement

i64man

I started a new campaign as the Union. Finished my tutorial mission and the Distress call. After the distress call mission I recruited a new division. As it happened, I had a 1 star General in reserve but when I created the new units, this General took over one of the regiments. Now, I finished the 1st Bull Run and the one star is now a two start. Can I make him the division commander? Is there a way to do that?

Have not found yet  a direct way of exchanging post two generals "in command".... but If you  "buy" a third one  you can then make it in three easy steps  (as clicking the image of the general in the unit window opens a window to allow him being changerd for one of your reserve and even from the academy).

Edited by JJPettigrew

I agree with this to some degree.

Here's my take.  During my campaign, I had the misfortune to have certain leaders of divisions and brigades become wounded or KIA.  Getting back to the camp page I find that promoting one of my own into the position of the wounded or KIA commander is not possible.

I know from having examined the history and from having read many publications that promotion from within the ranks was a very common thing. I would like to be able to get to those core leaders of my units and to be able to promote them to fill vacancies as long as they're qualified.  But then, history has shown that many times, even the unqualified were promoted just because someone who was qualified, was not available.   This happened more in the Confederate Armies than in the Union Armies.  The pretense of the Southern Government was that units from certain states seemed to fight better under an officer from their state.

This of course proved to be a false assumption mostly by President Davis, but the commanders and the military tried to appease this personal foible of Davis'.

But to reiterate, my suggestion is that leaders from within my already formed units have the ability to be promoted to replace vacancies created in command.

1 minute ago, A. P. Hill said:

But to reiterate, my suggestion is that leaders from within my already formed units have the ability to be promoted to replace vacancies created in command.

you have it,   there is a minimun to each position (seems logical) but you can put a colonel at a division level. You simply have to find a substitute for his old post first, then put it where you want him