Game-Labs Forum

New features - tow request

Good change.

As for teleporting, I think it should be kept since we can't transport goods in a fleet ship. So, if you cap a trader and don't have enough crew for both ships, you can't take it if there is no teleporting ships.

But, I suggest that if you use teleport then you lose use of the officer and the minimal amount of crew required for that ship for some time depending on the target port distance, symbolising you giving the command of the prize (captured ship) to your officer and skeleton crew to sail to your port. That was a common method for prizes during the age of sail.

best option would be to have captured trader actually visible sailing in OW with your officer and skeleton crew so it could be retaken or captured while on route to your port, but due to AI not being quite up to par with human player I doubt it would be able to survive and escape if it was captured anywhere near the area with high enemy player concentration.

I foresee a lot of whining on this.  Very generally worded statement leaving everyone to imagine what they believe it means and what they believe it should mean.  Everyone thinking only of the pro's of whatever picture they have in mind without understanding any of the other dominoes that they might not like.  No detail on design from the devs to flush out those expectations.  No way to manage expectations on anyone's part.

Yup.  This will turn out fabulously.

Edited by Arsilon
  • Like 3

On 11/22/2016 at 2:32 AM, The Spud said:

Oh, thank god for that. Instead of "bending" the rules to get ships TP'd we can now use a real game mechanic.

I'm guessing this means that a capped ship in a battle now can't be TP'ed but needs to be crewed and sailed out. I'm guessing that is what they mean by "untie our hands in several other mechanics"

Prize crew ships would mean folks won't always have two AI ships with them too as they will be limited on how many crew they have to spare to man those extra ships.   I said it from day one you shouldn't be able to teleport a captured ship.  You should have to sale it back to a friendly/freeport and than you can do what you want with it.  

As for the ship tow thing or getting it to other ports.  Make it like the delivery system so that it takes time to get from port a to b.  That will stop the fast telport for a battle thing and than folks will have to plan a head of time.  Remember we get a 2 day notice on port battles so if you don't have a ship moved close by that time it's your own fault. 

• Like 1

Yes, same in PvP1.

Truth is we might see more "non fleet users" regressing more often to havens bringing captured ships.

BUT I aprove of the compromisse between Delivery versus no more TP to outpost. Seems quite balanced to be honest and definitely helpful for Conquest as much as for other more carefree playstyles.

13 hours ago, Destraex said:

Can we get clarification that this can be used for trade and combat. To cut the sailing time for traders without adding too much risk?

I'm going to bet that you can't send any cargo with the ship. Prob stripped down and only mods, guns and maybe medkits but I would prob guess you can't even have those either. It will prob be the same as what you can put into your fleet.

• 4 weeks later...

Feature works well... with one exception:

You cannot send a ship which is currently "selected" (cant right click it), so if you want to send it you either need to:
- select other ship first (if you have it in this port)
- buy basic cutter and "select it"
- or teleport to other outpost and back again so the ship you want to "Tow" is not "selected"

All of the above options suck...

• Like 1

On 12/27/2016 at 4:32 PM, Darayavahus said:

Feature works well... with one exception:

You cannot send a ship which is currently "selected" (cant right click it), so if you want to send it you either need to:
- select other ship first (if you have it in this port)
- buy basic cutter and "select it"
- or teleport to other outpost and back again so the ship you want to "Tow" is not "selected"

All of the above options suck...

Same with "Send to Fleet"

No idea why we're forced to deselect the ship in question first. It's a pain in the rump.