Game-Labs Forum

Events explained in detail

So in essence I like these new PvX things. There are some nuances I would do differently. First off to understand why I like them I should explain from where and how I measure things :

- I play alot, but often would like to be able to drop in and play for 'just an hour'

- I am an average PvP'er who tries to get better..I doubt anyone fears (puts the brown pants on) when Jeheil is on the other side of the 'Tab'...more likely they rub their hands together.

- I do not equate fun to winning or even mostly winning (see above)..equally I dont want to always be smashed by a mega death fleet of DEATH !

- I really really like the RvR, trade n raid biff and bash of OW

I would have these 'mini' games purely from the lobby. I would, when I redo the UI make them their 'own thing'. I would seperate rewards and consequence from OW beyond cosmetics and 'ePeen'. I really think you could draw in THOUSANDS, 10's of THOUSANDS of players from a "World of Tanks", "World of Warships" type clone...5 v 5, 10 v 10, 15 v 15, rotated through land in port type settings. Leagues, ship ups etc etc

This would be entered through the pub in the port interface....now would it ruin OW. Like WoW if OW is good enough no, it will be a time filler, drop in, distraction just like Arena in World of Warcraft was.

So NO if OW is good, it won'r ruin OW at all. If its crap. It won't fix it either.

PvP in OW should be less artificial and should be raids, port battles, hostility etc . This needs its own focus...and can be funded by the $$$'s brought in via the 30-45 min quick fix from a competative lobby system.

Edited by Jeheil
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, Jeheil said:

I would have these 'mini' games purely from the lobby. I would, when I redo the UI make them their 'own thing'. I would seperate rewards and consequence from OW beyond cosmetics and 'ePeen'. I really think you could draw in THOUSANDS, 10's of THOUSANDS of players from a "World of Tanks", "World of Warships" type clone...5 v 5, 10 v 10, 15 v 15, rotated through land in port type settings. Leagues, ship ups etc etc

Lobby events, yes please, but Admin told me no, i'm stupid. I just didn't want to have to lose OPs that produce just to get an OP near the events. :/

I was just on PvP1 and was looking at the PvE event times and how the hell does some one cap those two ships in 3:23 mins?   I mean I'm even questioning on PvP2 fastest at 5 mins.  Cause just getting to one ship and stopping it you think would take that much time, but you board two?   Every time I do it the other ship wonders away from me while I'm boarding the first one and than I have to chase after it.

Would love to see a video of what exactly these guys are doing.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sir Texas SIr said:

I was just on PvP1 and was looking at the PvE event times and how the hell does some one cap those two ships in 3:23 mins?   I mean I'm even questioning on PvP2 fastest at 5 mins.  Cause just getting to one ship and stopping it you think would take that much time, but you board two?   Every time I do it the other ship wonders away from me while I'm boarding the first one and than I have to chase after it.

Would love to see a video of what exactly these guys are doing.

I am guessing full boarding setup, gold marines etc...and rage board with bowsprit rams to stop ship asap...more skill than I normally have thought

I have said this 3-4 months ago when events first saw the light of day. The events draw away from the actual open world. While I am sure that a little lobby game would be fun and the rewards too can be fun the fact that the rewards cant be gained in the open world forces the event on us especially considering the amount of people liking them is rather limited.This creates inequality and palces the blueprints in the wrong hands.

How to fix it? Very simple actually.

1. The events can remain. I suggest listening to the desires of the community this time and following into one of their proposed events and not create a cerb vs merc drop in battle. Quite frankly I don't actually see what took so long to design it considering it is just a duel with AI respawning until the time runs out. The fact that you are only allowed a cerberus and always face the same ship doesn't exactly help with the replayability. Let us at least choose the ship and drop in the enemies valid for that.
  2. While events remain and their rewards stay the same these rewards also need to be obtainable for the regular open world crowd. I personally detest these fake created events especially because they don't offer anything special gameplay wise. SO you will never see me in these again. THe question that comes up now is how does a good PvP player with no crafting experience get all the blueprints but the actual crafter at Lvl 50 who dedicated himself to this job is left with the old ships?! That cannot be right! Therefore make these blueprints (paints is your choice they have no actual meaning) obtainable via crafting and as port battle drops. This will give these open world things more of a meaning. This allows the crafters to obtain them but also the PvP/PvE players. These can get them in the open world or in the events. For them these can then be used on themselves or become some extra cash by selling to a lazy crafter.
  3. You once mentioned an admirality shop. Especially for crafters this is where you could allow them to obtain special blueprints. For example crafting five ships (of a certain quality and minimum rank) would allow you to choose a blueprint. It is an extremely simple solution and I simply don't see why crafters, open world palyers and traders lately are being completely ignored. We base our PvP on their economy. Without them there simply is no PvP as the last month ahs clearly shown!!!
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jeheil said:

I am guessing full boarding setup, gold marines etc...and rage board with bowsprit rams to stop ship asap...more skill than I normally have thought

I suspect your right, after trying a few times last night I got 7th but probably got knocked out of the top 10.

I noticed with all AI there is a pattern , get the pattern right with timed skill and a touch of luck and you can get a beastly time.

Reminds me very much of the repetitive play of games of the 80s     and 90s. 

G button is your new best friend. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tac said:

Reminds me very much of the repetitive play of games of the 80s     and 90s.

It is just plain boring. Can't last long. 

And the lack of right-brain creativity involved by the devs for coming up with something this boring is well...they REALLY need some creative people to help them with game-design. Programmers are NOT generally very creative people as everyone who has met them knows. Beta's need Alpha's to work together and come up with great stuff. Put a bunch of beta's in a room and you get this game...and this user interface. ;)

13 hours ago, Jeheil said:

Yah I done the full board all gold mods myself and got 7 secs.  That is why I can see the 5 min guys which is more of a norm it seems, but I want to see how exactly this guy got 3:23 mins.  Cause  even if I get that perfect board on the first one, that second one turns and does circles while I'm boarding so I have to go chasing after him.  To me to get that time you got to stop them both in there tracks pretty much right next to each other.  Not saying any one is cheating, just would love to see a video of it cause that is insanely good time/skill.

12 hours ago, JollyRoger1516 said:

I have said this 3-4 months ago when events first saw the light of day. The events draw away from the actual open world. While I am sure that a little lobby game would be fun and the rewards too can be fun the fact that the rewards cant be gained in the open world forces the event on us especially considering the amount of people liking them is rather limited.This creates inequality and palces the blueprints in the wrong hands.

How to fix it? Very simple actually.

1. The events can remain. I suggest listening to the desires of the community this time and following into one of their proposed events and not create a cerb vs merc drop in battle. Quite frankly I don't actually see what took so long to design it considering it is just a duel with AI respawning until the time runs out. The fact that you are only allowed a cerberus and always face the same ship doesn't exactly help with the replayability. Let us at least choose the ship and drop in the enemies valid for that.
  2. While events remain and their rewards stay the same these rewards also need to be obtainable for the regular open world crowd. I personally detest these fake created events especially because they don't offer anything special gameplay wise. SO you will never see me in these again. THe question that comes up now is how does a good PvP player with no crafting experience get all the blueprints but the actual crafter at Lvl 50 who dedicated himself to this job is left with the old ships?! That cannot be right! Therefore make these blueprints (paints is your choice they have no actual meaning) obtainable via crafting and as port battle drops. This will give these open world things more of a meaning. This allows the crafters to obtain them but also the PvP/PvE players. These can get them in the open world or in the events. For them these can then be used on themselves or become some extra cash by selling to a lazy crafter.
  3. You once mentioned an admirality shop. Especially for crafters this is where you could allow them to obtain special blueprints. For example crafting five ships (of a certain quality and minimum rank) would allow you to choose a blueprint. It is an extremely simple solution and I simply don't see why crafters, open world palyers and traders lately are being completely ignored. We base our PvP on their economy. Without them there simply is no PvP as the last month ahs clearly shown!!!

1.  This is a test and I take it you didn't read where the devs say they will be changing them out with different ships and goals?  I mean give it a chance it's only been what two days so far.  You know you don't have to do it every day or be top 10 every day.  Other folks can win it. I really haven't even tried it today and yesterday cause I was in the top 10 on PvP2 the first day and got one of the top 10 in PvP also.  I have so far gotten 5 top 10's between the PvE and PvP events.  Hell even in a 8 vs 18 match int he PvP US prime time event I got a kill.  We all sunk against the US/Brit fleet but we took 4 of them with us when others would of ran.  Prob could of took one or two more if we hadn't been split up pretty early and some communication issue.  

2.  You have a random chance to get any number of paints or ships from the chest.  So right now they rewards are not all the same. I have now gotten 5 H. Rattlers and an Endy so far.  Along with 2 x Bell Poll/Bellona White paint, and a Pink Trinc.  That isn't the same things. I kinda need the H Rattlers right now more than the others cause NO ONE IN PVP2 Pirates has the BP any more.  The two folks that had it either stopped playing or went to PvP1 to play.  Yes I would love if I got a rare chance at a BP though, specially that one or we could finally get them from breaking down shisp, but until than I'll just keep sinking folks and getting more ships from the events if I can.  I'm going to assume that these rewards will change in the future.  Again give it time it's only been two/three days.

3.  The Admirality shop is prob still in the works and they mention they are working on it.  I mean have you read any of there notes?   I'm hoping they give points out from doing the PvE and PvP events or even just any PvP that will allow you to later trade them in.  This way the folks that did them but didn't make the top 10 can maybe later when they get enough points trade it in for the same rewards.  This way it's not all ways the same guys getting it and even folks that don't win can later get a small prize for there effort.  

11 hours ago, Sir Texas SIr said:

1.  This is a test and I take it you didn't read where the devs say they will be changing them out with different ships and goals?  I mean give it a chance it's only been what two days so far.  You know you don't have to do it every day or be top 10 every day.  Other folks can win it. I really haven't even tried it today and yesterday cause I was in the top 10 on PvP2 the first day and got one of the top 10 in PvP also.  I have so far gotten 5 top 10's between the PvE and PvP events.  Hell even in a 8 vs 18 match int he PvP US prime time event I got a kill.  We all sunk against the US/Brit fleet but we took 4 of them with us when others would of ran.  Prob could of took one or two more if we hadn't been split up pretty early and some communication issue.  

Get off your high horse.I too read the patch notes and preceeding announcements. My suggestion was aimed at allowing to pick any ship a person would have at the same time. Otherwise there will be times were people can't actually play the event as they don't ahve the required ship. Changing it aroudn just means having to get yet another flower of the month/week/day all the time. We already have to do that with port battles after every patch - it gets annoying after a while.

Don't take that the wrong way but I play on PvP1 and there simply is more competition! I therefore ahve to play if I want to see any reward. I am giving them a chance every time I test out the new stuff they put in or when they make changes to that in hotfixes.Let me get that right though.

2.  You have a random chance to get any number of paints or ships from the chest.  So right now they rewards are not all the same. I have now gotten 5 H. Rattlers and an Endy so far.  Along with 2 x Bell Poll/Bellona White paint, and a Pink Trinc.  That isn't the same things. I kinda need the H Rattlers right now more than the others cause NO ONE IN PVP2 Pirates has the BP any more.  The two folks that had it either stopped playing or went to PvP1 to play.  Yes I would love if I got a rare chance at a BP though, specially that one or we could finally get them from breaking down shisp, but until than I'll just keep sinking folks and getting more ships from the events if I can.  I'm going to assume that these rewards will change in the future.  Again give it time it's only been two/three days.

Hold on. You don't even get a blueprint from these events and just a ship of which you can't choose the specs? That is slightly retarded considering the effort... As you said yourself - we are supposed to test their ships and how they fare against others to create balance. So why limit them behind events people don't enjoy?! Or make them completely inaccessible?! Quite frankly they don't ahve time anymore. With the amount of people who have left the game either nigh on immediately recovers or we might as well declare it dead! Last night over all three servers we had a peak population of 655 players... I truly don't believe in the magical return of all the players upon release. And even if that happens I would highly question whether these guys would stay around this time. In my opinion this is wishful thinking and we need to get palyers back now. I understand that new features won't work perfectly from the first moment onwards BUT a certain quality, creativity and ingenuity is nonetheless required and I don't see that delivered lately! Early Access only works as an excuse within certain perimeters.

3.  The Admirality shop is prob still in the works and they mention they are working on it.  I mean have you read any of there notes?   I'm hoping they give points out from doing the PvE and PvP events or even just any PvP that will allow you to later trade them in.  This way the folks that did them but didn't make the top 10 can maybe later when they get enough points trade it in for the same rewards.  This way it's not all ways the same guys getting it and even folks that don't win can later get a small prize for there effort.  

And again I have read it. That does however not change anything about the fact that soon we will not need that shop anymore as all the traders are leaving due to not being given a single cookie. I am not even a trader but with a little bit of foresight everybody can see that without the traders the economy upon which our PvP relies is harmed by that fact. You show the same attitude as the devs in your post. All ideas merely focus on fighting. There are other players you know?! ( I too only require new stuff for crafting and fighting but we shouldn't forget the other guys or it will eventually hit us...)

Also I'd like to understand why tehre are more and more events now which keep dragging the remaining players further away from the open world?!

• Like 1

Yeah, how about giving both the changes and the devs some time to set in and see how everything works out?

You yourself said that there is no more time, so why would they spend time on working out pve event for all available ships right now? This is testing. For starters they've put in Cerberus to see how the event will work out and there is not a shadow of a doubt in my mind that, if the event is well received and works out, they will add other ships as well.

If players can't play because they don't have a cerberus, then they can buy one. or craft one. It's not like it's not obtainable in a shop, prohibitively expensive or so hard to craft.

For some of the posts here, the patch didn't even finish downloading before you started bitching about it. How about giving them some credit for the effort and their hard work and wait for a few days for fixes to be implemented and then say what we think?

Some of the people here sound like touchy primadonnas that are never happy.

I think that the latest changes fixed a lot of problems that came after the map reset and endless sailing and i believe it will get even better when they implement other rewards, store and (hopefully) some pvp currency.

Also, it's a good thing they put in lobby arena style games, because now more people may feel inclined to play the game since they can log in when they have 30-60 mins playing time and jump into quick a fight. And it might (or will) encourage them to sail more and try for more ow pvp later on.

Lobby style events don't drag players away from OW because those that play it and enjoy it the most wouldn't usually have enought time to play this game in OW. So it can only bring more players into this game.

As for blueprints, i'm sure that the devs have a reason why they limit it. Maybe because if they were to release it, everybody and their grandmother would be sailing only in heavy rattle, or maybe they need to use them as special rewards or something. or maybe they want to test balance. If heavy rattles always win over mercs and similar, then they need balance fix.

So, not sure why is there such a fixation over blueprints in early access game where everything will be wiped and lost in a few months.

Edited by Todbringer
  • Like 1

@Todbringer How about you cease the insult spreading and use your brain? If you don't have the time to develop something proper and with the intention to fully pursue it then why the bloody hell would you develop it in the first place?! As Texas said they aim to change the ships around so while the cerb might be easy to get the next ship might not be! I also didn't sit here insisting this would be fixed within the next minute! Instead these were ideas to fix it though I would have preferred to see them going through the devs' heads prior to releasing the event in the first place!

Also yes it does drag players away from the open world. You ahve to play it to obtain the blueprints even if you are an open world player. Therefore as I mentioned the event can remain to serve for thsoe short time players but there must also be a way for the open world palyers to get the rewards!

The heavy rattle has dominated shallow waters for 3-4 months now - I haven't seen a fix for that being implemented while those that field a full fleet mop up the map with the ship!

Quite frankly at least do me the favour of reading my post before you go on a rampage against it!

I did read your post and I referred to your post in the first part of my post. 

I started using plural in the rest of the post, so it was not a "rampage against it". Maybe you saw yourself in the rest of my post, but for that i am hardly to blame, especially since i was, in the essence, agreeing with you in most of your general opinions, but disagreeing with you being impatient about them. I just posted under your post.

And I agree with you that the BPs should be available to all types of players, but we are currently testing mechanics of the pve and pvp events. They can't implement everything at once. 

And yes, I also mentioned balance testing since it is obvious heavy rattle dominates shallow waters. But in the same way, mercury mostly dominated it before heavy rattle. Once they release heavy rattle BP, it will be normal (unless someone expects that all ships of the rank should be balanced within that rank)..

The devs are only humans and they try to listen to the community and they try to give us what we ask for. They read our posts and try to think of how it would work, and then do it and deploy it to see if it works. They probably worked hard on each and every addition to this game and they deploy patches hoping people will like it and are most likely proud of what they did. That's why I dislike to see whining that started within the first hour of the patch since I bet it creates the feeling that whatever they do is not good. And I think it's not fair.

And it's not insult spreading. Some of the people here just act like spoiled brats never satisfied with anything. Tbh, the devs could just kill the OW and do World of warships type of game with microtransactions and get more players, money and easier life. But for some reason they still didn't.

Admin,

Its been a few days now with the pvp event has opened and I see progress in player participation. I play late when not many are on. The first night only two people were on the leaderboard. Last night there were 8. Both nights I attempted to be a part of the fun but the event ended as I arrived.

Friends of mine, here, have posted that they don't like the event in the openworld. I disagree. The player base is funny, demanding more OW content and then complaining about it when it arrives. I think the event gives me one more thing to do and how can that be a bad thing?

Here are my thoughts on the current system and some proposals to help make it better.

1. The rewards are fine right now. In fact, I like whats being offered

2. Extend the time that the event is open.

3. Locate them near heavily traveled areas or at least closer to ports. From Shroud I have to sail 20 minutes just to get to the area and of course 20 minutes to get back. So 2/3 of an hour in travel alone. That will limit the number of players that participate. (the shallow one is the one Im talking about) I suggest moving it North, even if it overlaps the islands a little. Bring the location to a 10 minute sail instead of a 20 minute sail.

4. The event area is dominated by gank squads. Word on the street is, "dont go in alone." Dis-incentivize gank squads more. 1v1 = 200pts.  2v1 = 100pts.  3v1 = 10pts.  4v1 = 0pts.

• Like 7

Shallow water event.   only 4 players and I am sunk by Gameover (who doesn't)  .   No score  but I should be compensated for showing up.   That's how most contests work.  That encourages more to show up as all you have to do is either sink or be sunk unless 10 show up.     

Unfair and well...boring and useless IMHO

@Todbringer Ok then. I retract my insult statement. However I don't think I am impatient. After all all I do is putting up suggestions. It is up to the devs to implement that whenever they feel it fits in. I don't believe the devs understand their time problem but in the end that is their problem. It would be very sad to see the game go to hzell just because we wasted the playerbase but after all there are other games I could turn my attention to. I do however believe that the devs could ease the current situation by communicating all patch content and not try to ninja patch stuff in without explanations and by communicating with the ideas posted on the forum as well. I personally have posted more than one suggestion on this forum and not once did I get a response which would show me that my input is being taken seriously. That is after all what early access is all about!

Communicate also what you want to test and what you hope to see. I currently within the last 3 months feel like being thrown into a pool filled with sharks and the devs going: We just want to see whats gonna happen but we ahve no expectations that we would tell you about... Why would I want to participate in that?!

• Like 1

Hey, PvP events are great. I guess it's more incentive to gank, right? All that's left in this game is Ganking, massive AI fleets & forts ruining PvP and to add extra on top of that some great PVE / Gank events. 

Like can you atleast make these PvP events switch up a bit. Maybe 2v2s, 3v3s, 4v4s, 5v5s each time they spawn. Give us something other than big clans going around ganking the piss out of solo players and smaller clans/groups.. You wonder why so few are online lately and the numbers are so low it is just like before EA. Maybe, just maybe smaller clan/groups and solo players got sick of the ganking? Now who do the gankers have to fight? I guess their alts to get points.

Since flags were taken out, all we have is Ganks. And well I guess that shows in the numbers online, you barely see over 450 and in the nights under 80. You want all lopsided fights that aren't fun for the side getting ganked (smaller clans/groups, solo players), I guess this is what you get. A game that bleeds numbers each and every day.  The proof is in the pudding, keep rewarding gankers & adding more AI and the game will keep losing players. It's time you do something about this.

Events are for big clans & people who have all day. Maybe you could give us some other ways to get paint other than being a ganker & spending all day PVEing? Maybe PVP Currency for each PvP you do and have a shop where you can buy paints? 

I Must say it's kind of worrying to see the number of people online and how the last patch did nothing to address the massive amounts of AI & Forts. 

Edited by Neptune

Hey, thanks for telling us that the PvE event is open 24/7 and then closing it so I cant even try it today.  I just managed to borrow a rattlesnake from a friend of mine and now I do not get to even try the event.  Nothing like making your player base angry.  

Event is closed why exactly?  

Event is closed on both pvp servers so I dont even get to play.

If you didn't notice, the start button is unclickable.  

Untitled.png

Are you planning to keep switching the type of ship needed for the PVE event? Yesterday you needed a Cerberus, today it's a RattleSnake, tomorrow ????

Suggestion: The PVE event should supply the player with the same ship for all. In other words, let's compare Apples to Apples and not the Exceptional crafted with full upgrades against the basic 1 upgrade slot bought in the shop.Officers on the other hand can choose their Perks accordingly.

24 minutes ago, la Touche-Treville said:

Are you planning to keep switching the type of ship needed for the PVE event? Yesterday you needed a Cerberus, today it's a RattleSnake, tomorrow ????

Suggestion: The PVE event should supply the player with the same ship for all. In other words, let's compare Apples to Apples and not the Exceptional crafted with full upgrades against the basic 1 upgrade slot bought in the shop.Officers on the other hand can choose their Perks accordingly.

This is already coming per Admin

• Like 2